Solar panels and solar power

ruangiSRruangiSR Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201406Members
i feel the game need solar power on the seamoth ,cyclops and base.
so it recharge the batterys or powercells when you are between 0 and 5 m depth in day time but at slow rate.
the need to swap battery and cells are to rapid and this can make it more ballanced.

Comments

• ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    or even above 30m. With a focus of progression in going deeper, I don't see why there couldn't be a de-focus of power early on. You can't really cross the map right now with a Cyclops on a full tank as it is.. but then again, we are powering this thing with mushrooms.
  • DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
    Yeah that would be nice for the cyclops. The cyclops charges the seamoth. And maybe the underwater base could charge the cyclops.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Definitely a nice idea, but, feel like it could be a trap: new player gets excited, crafts it, runs around in the cyclops constantly and either he's too deep, it's nighttime, or he gets bored. See?

A bit picky but it is a pitfall to be sure
    Well, the cyclops/seamoth power requirement is an inherent trap, and the only way to stay out of it is to carry power cells with you. No power cells means having to abandon your Cyclops. No power in the seamoth means death by drowning and losing the seamoth.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Zourin wrote: »
    Well, the cyclops/seamoth power requirement is an inherent trap, and the only way to stay out of it is to carry power cells with you. No power cells means having to abandon your Cyclops. No power in the seamoth means death by drowning and losing the seamoth.

This is true, but this problem occurs day or night, and solar power won't help during the night. To solve your problem needs a slightly different solution.

Maybe make a solar charger for cells, so you can charge any empty cells you have automatically when you are at the correct depth?

This potentially means you can charge additional batteries during the day, as well as recharging any that run out, but doesn't solve the issue of having to carry power cells.

So many potential solutions, but the key is too find the right one, that enables loss of power to not be so harmful, but at the same time keeps power as a meaningful requirement.
    Safe to say, you're in pretty dire straits if your survival relies on potato batteries, moreso when you're substituting mushrooms for potatoes. Solar charging for bases isn't a bad idea, since it's a static structure, and there could be a static structure for recharging rechargeables. It's pretty pointless when you're charging batteries with other batteries, and it's a bad idea to recharge unrechargeable batteries. I honestly don't know how you recharge a mushroom.

Long story short: primary power generation has to come before rechargeable batteries, as frustrating as it is >.<
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    This:

- Solar arrays can be built for bases above 200m (or some depth that still gets lots of sunlight). They're expensive though.
    - Nuclear generators or some type of fusion for deep water bases. Really expensive but beats having to change power cells over time.
    - Life pod has permanent solar power that gradually recharges the batteries to 20% (it never gets to 0%)

- Cyclops and everything else require power cells/batteries. Rechargeable battery module can be researched later in the game that slowly charges dead power cells. Check back once and a while to switch dead ones for recharged ones.
    edited March 2015
    I still forsee, for what my generally faulty prediction skills can discern, that seabase power will be the main nexus for power. Charging power cells with powercells is no bueno (I still get Space Engineers nightmares).

That said, power sources should charge rechargeable batteries/cores directly as an exchange, much how the generators allow exchanges (and can only be removed when the charge is 100%). Whether it's solar, hydroelectric current turbines, or geothermal, it makes sense. I have to argue against an interior 'base module' because 'base modules' can be built in the cyclops. Ergo: Charging power cells with power cells. No bueno.

Not to say I wouldn't mind ripping out the solar panel on the lifepod and putting it on the Cyclops. Cruising without needing power cores is OK in my book. You'd need to be pretty shalllow for solar panels to work, however. Diffusion of light is a pretty heinous thing to deal with, so the less matter between you and the sun, the better, thus, very shallow depths (less than 20).

Theoretical Example: A base-grade solar panel has six 'core charging slots' that recharges one depleted power cell per day each. You could insert a discharged core (obviously a rechargeable) into an empty slot or remove a fully charged core. A 'Current turbine' could charge two per day, while a geothermal could charge three. Theoretical tech upgrades could double the recharge speeds of the latter two, but solar is more of a backup than anything. Power suppliers charging cores AND are hooked up to a base that's running power-intensive equipment recharges cells slower if its capacity is not exceeded.

Batteries are another matter, and I don't see a problem with a 'battery charger' on the cyclops or bases for the seaglide and other hand-tools.
    Honestly I"ve never liked "recharging" something that I"ve made in a game when it requires going out of one's way to go on a chore fetch quest (And that's basically what it entails, lol)

But, I understand the need for balance, for lack of a better word
    Basics of civilization: Build where the food is.

There are only two criteria for establishing a sensible base of operation: Proximity to Food and Proximity to Power. If you're building in the boondocks, don't complain when you gotta spend an hour travelling to recharge batteries or find edible fish. With the ideas about fish-farming in the think-tank, that leaves proximity to power sources. Thus, no chore/fetchquest to pick up fresh power cells.

Proximity to locations is a benefit, as is scenery, but functionally speaking, live close to your core needs.
    I'm not playing the game as of now, so it was merely an opinion in general, not specifically subnautica

that also wasnt meant to be a complaint, but I suppose such things are interpreted subjectively so no point arguing

I just think recharging in games in general is dull
    It was a good point. I was being mostly philosophical about the process. I can easily see people sticking seabases in the middle of nowhere and complaining about not being anywhere near working power or food.
    Well that and the cyclops doesn't require a welder or suggest that it is necessary to build one to new players LOL... Ouch, losing a cyclops a few minutes after having built one
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Well that and the cyclops doesn't require a welder or suggest that it is necessary to build one to new players LOL... Ouch, losing a cyclops a few minutes after having built one

Yeah that is indeed a problem. Perhaps the first time you build a Cyclops it should guide you to an internal locker room and give the player a free welder, with a little spiel about using it for repairs :D
  • MindtunnelMindtunnel Texas Join Date: 2015-02-23 Member: 201520Members
    edited March 2015
    Solar power would be very inefficient under water, practically useless. Maybe something a bit more practical; such as, tidal energy conversion.
    Really? I suppose that could be true, but keep in mind this is the far future ;)

And a video game lol

l do agree with the fact (YES, FACT :P ) that tidal energy conversion would be awesome :D
  • Gr4pheneGr4phene Germany Join Date: 2015-03-05 Member: 201731Members
    Mindtunnel wrote: »
    Solar power would be very inefficient under water, practically useless. Maybe something a bit more practical; such as, tidal energy conversion.

Solar panels do work under water, but you are right about the inefficiency. Compared to the surface, only a small part of the sunlight reaches the solar cell in the water, so it is reasonable to restrict solar cell usage to depths under 30m. At this point, a solar cell would maybe produce 10% of the possible power at most. It doesn't matter if it's a hypothetical far-future solar cell. My idea would be to install floating solar panels on the surface that either recharge power packs or power an underwater base through a cable. Solar panels on the cyclops would be unreasonable in my opinion, unless you frequently park it on the surface.
    Tidal generators would be useless because there are no tides in the middle of an ocean. Well, there are, but they are much smaller than on shores and very slow, so they are unuseable for power generation. Water current turbines are a better idea, but they would only work well in deep and wide areas. That would be awesome to see though because it would be dangerous to access them, but they would give a good amount of power in reward. Maybe a cable should be implemented with them so you can connect them with your base.
    Finally, atomic/fusion reactors in sea bases would be cool, but totally unnecessary for the little amount of used power. There is nothing that consumes a lot of power right now apart of the submarines. The cyclops is big enough for a reactor to make sense in it, but not in the seabase because the power transfer would be stupid. Powering the cyclops with a makeshift mushroom battery seems stupid to me as well.
    A possible idea that would justify a reactor in the seabase is a high-tech base module that electrolyzes sea water into hydrogen and oxygen, then you could use the oxygen in the air conditioner (nobody ever thought about fresh air in the seabase?) and the hydrogen as fuel for the fusion reactor (i should get a nobel prize for this invention). The rest of the oxygen and hydrogen could be stored in tanks and the cyclops could dock at the tanks to refuel. In the cyclops, a fuel cell would convert the gases back to water and power the submarine. I don't know if the electrolyzer would produce enough hydrogen to even sustain the reactor, but I am pretty confident because nuclear fusion produces a lot more power than chemical reactions.
    If you read all this, congratulations! I would like this to be read by a developer too ;)
    I read a bit about fusion reactors, and apparently normal hydrogen can't be used for them. Instead, the isotopes deuterium and tritium are necessary, which can't be produced from normal hydrogen. A solution to this, which would be an amazing addition to the game, are the deuterium and tritium tanks inside of the crashed mother ship, because it probably has a fusion reactor in it. The player would be forced to explore the crashed ship in an exosuit (for radiation protection) and retrieve the tanks. Tanks of a size like normal diving air tanks would suffice for powering the smaller seabase reactor for decades. So before the high-tech fusion reactor in the base can be built, first a blueprint, one deuterium tank and one tritium tank must be found inside the ship. Of course, there should be multiple tanks in the ship to allow for multiple seabases, or you could take sone of the fuel in your seabase and use it for another seabase. I think the tech progression would be good too, because you can power your base and the electrolyzer with the weaker current generators until you get an exosuit and you are able to explore the mothership.
    Let me know if you like this concept!
  • MindtunnelMindtunnel Texas Join Date: 2015-02-23 Member: 201520Members
    edited March 2015
    Gr4phene wrote: »
    Tidal generators would be useless because there are no tides in the middle of an ocean. Well, there are, but they are much smaller than on shores and very slow, so they are unuseable for power generation.

Evidence show's that internal tides most likely propagate more energy than surface tides.

"Satellite altimeter data now show that tidal mixing in the deep ocean is about as important as the wind. Perhaps as much as half of the tidal energy in the ocean is dissipated in mixing processes when tidal currents in the deep ocean flow over seamounts, ridges, and other rugged features on the ocean floor or weave through passages between islands.

Tidal currents flowing over topographic irregularities on the ocean floor generate internal waves that propagate away from their source. These internal waves arise from the fact that water density increases gradually with increasing depth. As tidal currents encounter a seamount or submarine ridge, relatively dense water is forced upward into slightly less dense water. Then to the lee of the obstacle gravity pulls the denser water downward. However, the descending water gains momentum and over shoots its equilibrium level and descends into denser water. The water then ascends thereby forming an oscillating wave that propagates horizontally. Because these waves are generated by tides, they occur at tidal frequencies and are called internal tides. Internal tide waves can travel thousands of kilometers beyond the obstruction that formed them and can have very large wave heights. They also break, like surf on a beach but under water, locally mixing waters above and below the internal wave. Internal tides are important in mixing cold bottom waters with warmer surface waters as part of the global oceanic conveyer belt circulation."

Bringing up the point of recyclable fresh air in the underwater sea-base is also an excellent question. Oh how those incommodious air tubes vex me so.

http://oceanmotion.org/html/background/tides-ocean.htm
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Gr4phene wrote: »
    I read a bit about fusion reactors, and apparently normal hydrogen can't be used for them. Instead, the isotopes deuterium and tritium are necessary, which can't be produced from normal hydrogen. A solution to this, which would be an amazing addition to the game, are the deuterium and tritium tanks inside of the crashed mother ship, because it probably has a fusion reactor in it. The player would be forced to explore the crashed ship in an exosuit (for radiation protection) and retrieve the tanks. Tanks of a size like normal diving air tanks would suffice for powering the smaller seabase reactor for decades. So before the high-tech fusion reactor in the base can be built, first a blueprint, one deuterium tank and one tritium tank must be found inside the ship. Of course, there should be multiple tanks in the ship to allow for multiple seabases, or you could take sone of the fuel in your seabase and use it for another seabase. I think the tech progression would be good too, because you can power your base and the electrolyzer with the weaker current generators until you get an exosuit and you are able to explore the mothership.
    Let me know if you like this concept!

Helium 3 is a good fusion fuel as well.
  • banananamanbanananaman FL Join Date: 2015-03-07 Member: 201813Members
    What about power generation through algae?. Explore the natural critters and their anatomy and you can unlock this ability. At least to have glowing tubes on the cyclopa
    Helium 3 is a good fusion fuel as well.

Maybe, but the concept would stay the same wether we need Deuterium and Tritium or Helium 3. While Helium 3 fusion has some advantages over Tritium fusion, it is much harder to achieve and Helium 3 is horribly expensive, even in comparison to Tritium. So I think Tritium would be more likely to be used as fuel.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited March 2015
    Both Tritium and Hel 3 are very rare on Earth, granted on this ocean planet (I'm going to assume that's exactly what the Aurora crash landed on) might have different elemental resources compared to Earth.

You actually can create a fusion reaction by fusing deuterium with itself. It's the second easiest way for fusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power#Fuels
  • MalkContentMalkContent Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd love the ability to craft floating solar panels or even attach some to the cyclops. Also add rechargable power cells/batteries that are more expensive to craft and maybe have a little less capacity to balance them against the single charge power cells.