Any possibility of having a public issue tracker?

TibbsTibbs Join Date: 2013-02-10 Member: 182965Members, Reinforced - Supporter
I find it difficult to know whether or not my feedback that is being sent with the in-game reporting tool is being acted upon, or even noticed. A bunch of small but important things that I reported several months ago have not been addressed. Yes, chances are that you have more important things to do at the moment, but I have no way of telling if that is the case. As it is now the in-game reporting stuff goes into a black hole where if you're lucky you might see something pop up on the trello board after a while.

A public issue tracker where people could report issues would be great, where you can see the developers follow up on your tickets, especially since the in-game reporting tool is so limited with the amount of text you can provide, along with other problems.

Thoughts?

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    I agree, the in game report tool is extremely limited.
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    It can always be improved upon but I think their reporting system is great and is a leap above most other early access ventures. One other thing to keep in mind, and I know because I am prone to forgetting this as well, is that our priorities as fans don't have the benefit of understanding the in and outs plus the ups and downs of development and implementation. I'm sure they would like to have as great an understanding as possible between the 2 parties in this case, but its their smaller party vs our much much larger one. Its simply not possible to make sure every single person and the issues they have are always satisfied with a resolution in a timeframe based on their perceptions of what is reasonable.

So while I feel your pain to a degree, being on the outside always wishing we could have a better look in, I am very impressed with the current system regardless and their general level of communication with the community. I tip my hat to them for how involved they already are with us during the process. Until we augment them with cyber-brain multitasking enhancements we'll have to settle for human limitations and time constraints in their dealings with individual fans of the game. :)

There is this btw http://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/#/subnautica/feedback though I know that doesn't satisfy as far as the ticket response system you were talking about. When the reporting can be for bugs and/or general gameplay comments and suggestions (or just a screenshot and smiley face), a follow-up ticket resolution system would seem unfeasible, to me, in that regard...but then I'm not a dev so they can speak to the current situation if they want. My thought/conjecture is that a more extensive and responsive ticket system at this point in development would be too overwhelming.

I do believe they would help themselves out by allowing the automatic attachment and sending of crash logs from the error window though. Those are issues outside of "F8" reporting that I suspect many won't bother with due to the extra steps involved with getting them back to the devs.
  • TibbsTibbs Join Date: 2013-02-10 Member: 182965Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2015
    En9a9e wrote: »
    It can always be improved upon but I think their reporting system is great and is a leap above most other early access ventures. One other thing to keep in mind, and I know because I am prone to forgetting this as well, is that our priorities as fans don't have the benefit of understanding the in and outs plus the ups and downs of development and implementation. I'm sure they would like to have as great an understanding as possible between the 2 parties in this case, but its their smaller party vs our much much larger one. Its simply not possible to make sure every single person and the issues they have are always satisfied with a resolution in a timeframe based on their perceptions of what is reasonable.

So while I feel your pain to a degree, being on the outside always wishing we could have a better look in, I am very impressed with the current system regardless and their general level of communication with the community. I tip my hat to them for how involved they already are with us during the process. Until we augment them with cyber-brain multitasking enhancements we'll have to settle for human limitations and time constraints in their dealings with individual fans of the game. :)

There is this btw http://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/#/subnautica/feedback though I know that doesn't satisfy as far as the ticket response system you were talking about. When the reporting can be for bugs and/or general gameplay comments and suggestions (or just a screenshot and smiley face), a follow-up ticket resolution system would seem unfeasible, to me, in that regard...but then I'm not a dev so they can speak to the current situation if they want. My thought/conjecture is that a more extensive and responsive ticket system at this point in development would be too overwhelming.

I do believe they would help themselves out by allowing the automatic attachment and sending of crash logs from the error window though. Those are issues outside of "F8" reporting that I suspect many won't bother with due to the extra steps involved with getting them back to the devs.

I understand how game development works and the limitations thereof, as well as the fact that they are very open with their development efforts.

One idea would be to create another trello board for reported issues where people could vote up the most serious problems as well as submit detailed descriptions and additional pictures/videos and such, but perhaps that would get messy.
  • The_HawkThe_Hawk South Africa Join Date: 2015-02-12 Member: 201321Members
    If i may voice my opinion sometimes we as a fan base start thinking to beta stage its pointless adding polish and fixing all these bugs when half the central game systems are not in place yet

i also use the f8 report tool ,trello board and backed updater notes tool and wonder the same thing but then i try to reminde myself that A) its an alpha and B) they fought to make this game when it was goi g to be cancled and so i try my best to trust that they want to make the best game possible and do monitor the bug reports but are currently constraind to adding new content.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hey guys,

I actually opened up our critical bug tracker Trello this past Friday for viewing by the public. These are bugs found and reported by our internal playtest team and others found from across the web, our forums, twitch and youtube videos we find and confirm. You'll notice it isn't a massive database, this is so it's manageable by our small human internal playtest team, and we're not perfect. Some things will slip by, others will take time to address. But please be aware we are all working very hard to make an awesome game and over time, as bug-free as possible.

You can view our internal bug tracker trello here: https://trello.com/b/eLEWpq3P/subnautica-playtesting

This is separate from the 'feedback' that is left using the F8 menu, but many of the bugs originate from that data. It should be noted, that only members of UnknownWorlds & our playtest team can submit & comment on cards.

Cheers guys!
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Are the playtest team members payed or volunteers? Either way, where can I sign up? ;P
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks Obraxis, that's awesome. Please could that Trello board link also be added to the give-early-access-feedback-to-the-dev-team sticky post already up? Cheers :)
  • TibbsTibbs Join Date: 2013-02-10 Member: 182965Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I actually opened up our critical bug tracker Trello this past Friday for viewing by the public. These are bugs found and reported by our internal playtest team and others found from across the web, our forums, twitch and youtube videos we find and confirm. You'll notice it isn't a massive database, this is so it's manageable by our small human internal playtest team, and we're not perfect. Some things will slip by, others will take time to address. But please be aware we are all working very hard to make an awesome game and over time, as bug-free as possible.

You can view our internal bug tracker trello here: https://trello.com/b/eLEWpq3P/subnautica-playtesting

This is separate from the 'feedback' that is left using the F8 menu, but many of the bugs originate from that data. It should be noted, that only members of UnknownWorlds & our playtest team can submit & comment on cards.

Cheers guys!

Great, thanks!