Steam Overlay not working...

Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2015 in Technical Support
Every once and a while my NS2 will crash... no big deal, but when I start it up again I don't have Steam overlay anymore. I ultimately need to restart steam to fix the problem. This has only been occurring recently (like the last couple patches). Is there something that I can do to fix the issue? Is this a steam or NS2 issue? I don't have a crash report, but I just wanted to see if this was a known issue and if any fixes are known. If it's not known, I'll submit a crash report next time it happens to me.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    Hi, so far this kind of crash has not been reported. Could you try to get a crash-dump (zip it !!!!!) and upload it somewhere?
    How to create a windows crash dump (once ns2.exe frooze or crashed):

1. Open Windows Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC).
    2. Find ns2.exe among the list of processes.
    3. Right-click ns2.exe and select "Create dump file". Task manager should indicate where the dump file was written to.

Normally it gets written into your temp folder. You can easily access that by using win + r and entering %temp%.

After you located the dump file zip it with tools like 7zip or WinRAR as much as possible and then upload it somewhere like gdrive, onedrive, mega or dropbox.

Last but not least post the link in the forum.

PS: In case the ns2 crash-reporter shows up ns2 did already create a mini-dump in temp you can also just upload (it's a lot smaller)