NS2 Eclipse V1

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited November 2015 in Mapping
If you aren't already aware, I have been working on balancing Eclipse with the help of some people. It's nearly done, still have some things to figure out what to do. The plan is for it to become official when it's finished.
It's currently on [TA] House of Awesome, DMD, Tactical Gamer, and [SWE] The Thirsty Onos, that I know of.
Workshop
Changelog
ZGS3aKd.png
See screenshots on workshop page for visual changes

Comments

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I played it once and it realy feelt good. If i can suggest something i would work on that teleporter to make it more usefull for both sides (test chamber). Second thing i would divide Power Sub Junction into two rooms with a wall and open doors (maybe a vent to the right side).
    py9CBQu.jpg
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    I played it once and it realy feelt good. If i can suggest something i would work on that teleporter to make it more usefull for both sides (test chamber). Second thing i would divide Power Sub Junction into two rooms with a wall and open doors (maybe a vent to the right side).
    py9CBQu.jpg

Wouldn't that make generator monitors nearly impossible to defend for marines if eclipse is start hive?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Computer core is now a fixed spawn for Aliens
    Reason: Other spawns where too hard to balance

...nope.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    If it becomes official, will it replace the current eclipse or will it continue to be a separated map?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited February 2015
    the top left connecter of sub is way to narrow. i like clean triad and the new res node, but it does give marines 3 naturals. Not sure both are needed

we played 2 games on the map, i enjoyed both games but i couldnt really tell if it was better or worse.

i do however like the new gen mon. i think it fixes alot of the issues originally with that room
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2015
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Wouldn't that make generator monitors nearly impossible to defend for marines if eclipse is start hive?

Yep the RT should have to be moved to.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Computer core is still a nightmare to defend for aliens. Marines have long lines of sight AND elevation all around. Raise it up and eliminate the staircases.

Also, Maintenance feels extremely isolated right now.

It also has the exact same problems in the south. Marines take Power Sub/South Loop = Marine win.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I have the feeling that it became difficult to attack the rine RTs. And attacking Keyhole is a nightmare as alien.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    If it becomes official, will it replace the current eclipse or will it continue to be a separated map?

It will replace the Eclipse that is there.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ran it through the profiler: ns2_eclipse_v1
    (for comparison: ns2_derelict ns2_nyx)
    Nb. in between versions so excuse any weirdness ;)

Ig7mDbX.png

• d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've played a couple of rounds on this map and so far it's been a big step forward from vanilla Eclipse. Lots of things still need work of course, my personal pet peeve is the limited space around the marine starting tech point. It's really difficult for the marines to kill skulks gnawing on the CC if the skulks are hiding behind the chair. Adding a tad more space along the lines of Control on Veil or Operations on Mineshaft would be nice.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Marines can still run straight out of base into very powerful locations like gen mon and power sub. Power sub just isnt a fun place to fight in as aliens (if marines are attempting to bunker down in south loop, you cant engage without risking a flank from the other power sub entrance that leads very quickly from marine start locations.

Oddly though contrary to what other people say/ how they play, I find gen mon perfectly fine to engage in as an alien, and south loop is hella fun to wreck face in as a skulk or lerk. Usually when marines take south loop I find myself racking up kills from the vents while the rest of the team face-slams into the PSJ side. To help aliens defend against that nice spot at the back of PSJ-southloop, perhaps a vent exit from CC in the roof of that little side-room could help?

Maintenance also feels very isolated as someone else mentioned. Maybe the map needs... more symmetry? We shouldnt be afraid to make it slightly more veil-like (its closest analogous map, the most popular map).

And of course, more head-room for fades/lerks/jetpackers wouldnt go amiss.
    I have played another round not as a commader this time ( i have read the changelog and seen PSJ changes that i have sugested ;p). East Foyer RT still is alien sided. Its to easy to keep atacking and fall back to T-Junction. This spot will be taken by gorge tunnels offen. Its a best place for it to have an alien healing station to atack marines base. It have to be bigger! All the battles are in keyhole now when marines are rushing maintenance. The stairs leading to hive are a death pit! It should be biger.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    A 5th hive?
    There space that can be filled with little modification on the north side.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »

It will replace the Eclipse that is there.

That's sweet. I can't wait for this to be completed. Eclipse was a classic map in NS1 but seemed to fade away pretty quickly after it launched for NS2.

Keep up the good work!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Would be good to see the bottom part of the map be retextured with the grey/yellow from around marine spawn. I prefer those much more.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Scatter wrote: »
    Would be good to see the bottom part of the map be retextured with the grey/yellow from around marine spawn. I prefer those much more.

I always figured these areas were the result of not enough time to work on the map.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I always figured these areas were the result of not enough time to work on the map.

Yeah, I always wondered why that was like that. Makes sense! Hopefully the new version can complete that style throughout the map.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Really?
    These textures look nice and all (sexiest colour scheme in all of ns2?) but I am not sure I could stomach the lubricated yellow walls everywhere on the map... Plus it IS nice (and kind of vital) to have some kind of variance in schema between areas.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    How vital is it when the two best maps (tram and summit) have the same scheme throughout?

I dislike the dark green of eclipse and the cluttered mess so strongly I think I could stomach the yellow and grey with some variations here and there if needed.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    How vital is it when the two best maps (tram and summit) have the same scheme throughout?

I dislike the dark green of eclipse and the cluttered mess so strongly I think I could stomach the yellow and grey with some variations here and there if needed.

The problem is that Eclipse contains far more props all other the place compared to other maps. There is complete set just for Eclipse. It can be tricky and time consuming to change the Art. I mean, you change one brick that appears in two different places and you have to redo everything because it would be noticed you have changed something. And as you know: one prop, one texture... (yay)

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    AWSOME ECLIPSE REALY NEEDS THIS!!!!!
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Found 2 gaps in Power Sub
    One near the vent in front of the powernode
    1ino5teh0gqo.jpg
    ad0mgck6d44r.jpg
    And when you go i bit to the right on the ceeling
    a9k7k7u3gvos.jpg
    6eoed8w53d94.jpg
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I noticed two things, both you might be aware of:

- Occlusion geo issue in the vent from Comp Core -> South Loop
    - Black spots in low lights in the corner northwest of Power Subjunction and the Air Ducts -> T Junction vent
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2015
    Stuck spot which I found during the PT today - it´s at the Keyhole-Area.

http://imgur.com/a/ejMxm
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Wow, the response shows people really want this :D Keep up the good work @SamusDroid
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Wow, the response shows people really want this :D Keep up the good work @SamusDroid

Well Eclipse was one of the most played ns1 maps back in the day like Veil was, but sadly unlike Veil it didn't translate well into ns2 in it's current form.

Funny thing to note is Veil was criticized heavily on it's release for being a 4 techpoint map but now it's one of most voted for maps on pub servers.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited November 2015
    The lamps in air ducts are a bit un centrelised athealst those at the stairs.
    There are no rain Particles hitting the windows at horseshoe and East foyer.
    Also is it possible to use the animation to the bands when the poker goes on (the one you made) would be awsome!!!!