Oculus Rift DK2 tips

TenouchiTenouchi US Join Date: 2015-02-15 Member: 201373Members
After much fiddling, I was able to get into my save game and even have a functional HUD in the DK2.
Set DK2 to extended and turn it on, make sure DK2 is the primary monitor (it may be a benefit to have your other monitor set to 75hz, unsure - mine is just that way already for Elite)
Open Subnautica.exe (the regular exe, not the DirectToRift one)
With the rift on, close one eye and pull the loader menu to where you can see it. Set the resolution to 1920x1080, display 1, and launch
Now that the game is open in the regular 2d mode, you can click Continue to get into your save
Once it loads, hit F2 to switch the game to rift mode. You're done. Enjoy the Cyclops in the rift!

With this method, you'll have the HUD working and can even use the inventory and Lockers. The fabricator still doesn't work, so you'll need to have a bunch of supplies stored up or resort to console codes/freedom mode to survive.

Comments

• TenouchiTenouchi US Join Date: 2015-02-15 Member: 201373Members
    Quick update: F2 no longer enables the rift mode, so this method is busted. :(

Using the direct to rift executable or batch file causes a new game to be created, instantly wiping out your existing save game.
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    Well THAT bug should have priority on their 'pass on OVR support' list. Which just got pushed back into the potentials list. :/
  • SeamothMasterSeamothMaster Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202353Members
    Preeetty upset although I can't expect much as it's Alpha. I've been playing hard to get my Seamoth and so close to a Cyclops and nice seabase and then wanted to show my friend the seamoth in VR. Bam, save game is now gone and F2 no longer works. I wonder why they removed this? It worked well for exploration. *Sigh* back I go to grinding away. I really liked my map too...
    Despite my upset - Love this game like crazy and can't wait to see more. This is my most anticipated title for VR. Deep underwater exploration, massive sea bases, huge leviathans. So much potential for awesome here. I hope it get the exposure and development it deserves. Keep up the great work Unknown Worlds.
    Managed to get everything back quickly and now I'm exploring the deep. So good.
  • Princess_FrostyPrincess_Frosty Norwich, UK Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202405Members
    I have a rift DK2, I've seen the instructions but no messed with this yet. Can you confirm to what degree this is working please.

Does head tracking work?
    Does proper 3D sterescopic work?
    What bugs if any?
    Is it worth messing around with to get working?
    Is it actually playable?

I'm concerned messing with this with a save so far into the game so far without using the Rift, I don't want to lose it.
  • The_Big_Bad_W8lfThe_Big_Bad_W8lf England Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202178Members
    I have a rift DK2, I've seen the instructions but no messed with this yet. Can you confirm to what degree this is working please.

Does head tracking work?
    What bugs if any?
    Is it actually playable?

I'm concerned messing with this with a save so far into the game so far without using the Rift, I don't want to lose it.
    I think we need to give them time to get other stuff working first. :p We need to know what works and what doesnt.

Does head tracking work?
    What bugs if any?
    Is it actually playable?

If you can back up your save file it's worth testing out. I've played through a little for the experience and it was incredible. That being said, none of the crafting works and it's difficult to do anything other than explore slowly by swimming around. I'm going to wait for further developments before messing with it further.

• Jacob-EllingerJacob-Ellinger Grand Rapids Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202641Members
    edited March 2015
  • TonySpanielsTonySpaniels London Join Date: 2015-04-05 Member: 202995Members
    edited April 2015
    Hello everyone. First post on these forums from me!

I just stumbled on this game, and to my pleasant surprise saw it was just about dk2 enabled. Gave it a try just now and it looks fantastic. Im really looking forward to seeing this game develop :)

So the ol fabricator is out until further notice then? I appreciate their honest that they're going to put the games development first fair enough makes sense...its going to be hard to be patient with this one tho i can tell already.

p.s love swimming around at night! Psychedelic! :D
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're working on fixing OVR support (especially the fabricator). I have a DK2 myself and love playing in the rift.
  • Jacob-EllingerJacob-Ellinger Grand Rapids Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202641Members
    Hello everyone. First post on these forums from me!

I just stumbled on this game, and to my pleasant surprise saw it was just about dk2 enabled. Gave it a try just now and it looks fantastic. Im really looking forward to seeing this game develop :)

So the ol fabricator is out until further notice then? I appreciate their honest that they're going to put the games development first fair enough makes sense...its going to be hard to be patient with this one tho i can tell already.

p.s love swimming around at night! Psychedelic! :D

Where can I get one for a good price? I've never used one for anything but everyone says they are amazing. seeing this game on a flat screen already looks amazing. How much better in vr right?
    edited April 2015
    Hi Jacob-Ellinger

Your best bet would be to simply buy a kit from the oculus website. I dont think the wait is too long nowadays (it was 3 or so months backlog back in the day ) and ofc you would be getting a pristine product rather than a second hand from ebay.

However the question for you now is if you would rather wait until the CV1 comes out, which is rumoured to be this Christmas now but thats not official, or to buy a dk2 now. Bearing in mind that the CV1 will be far superior to the dk2 also when it does come out, it's really down to if you can wait and save your cash or if you have enough spare cash to indulge yourself now. And also there is the Vive that has been confirmed to be coming out this Fall.

Anyway, if you have the cash to spend then I'd say go for it. Ive had my dk2 since it came out and its already paid for itself entertainment wise many times over. If I could verbalise satisfactorily just how epic the gaming moments have been for me in VR, most of them a highlight of my 30+ gaming life so far, I would, bit its impossible to do it justice.

As for Subnautica, as has been mentioned its still very much in its early stages and a lot of things dont work. However it is great just to swim around looking at stuff as is :) You hit upon the crux of the matter with your sentiment about looking at the game on a flat screen, as actually feeling like you are in the game looking out and around compared to looking at a representation on a 2D screen, is a total game changer, even at this early stage.

There's no going back for me.

Great job on the oculus update guys! :)
    One thing I would mention...is the inventory screen too far back for other people? I need to lean right back in my chair to view it. M
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    The geometry of the tablet is in my face, but the icons are very small (which makes me lean in). It isn't exactly the most comfortable experience. In fact everything is smaller than I thought it would be. It is especially apparent in the ocean. The instant movement is also kind of jarring in VR.

VSync needs to be mandatory, the judder makes it unplayable on my 570SC. Listening to my videocard fan ramp up reminds me of the days when you guys had the target framerate stuck at 144fps. Looking forward to the point one can fine tune this experience. Good work on what you've done so far, but this isn't playable for me yet.