Something wrong with the engine?

dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
I was tired of locking the fps everytime over console and did this via nvidiainspector on driver level.
After that i noticed something strange:
No matter what value i locked the fps, the game had always 7 fps more.

A test with crysis @ locked 30 fps via nvidiainspector had 30 fps as result like intended.
So this brought me to the question:
Is there something wrong with the engine?

An no, im not talking about low fps, stutter, etc here.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Maybe lock it 7 fps less than what you want?
    There probably is but I don't see it getting fixed
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I dont need a fix for that, but maybe this strange behavior (why 7 fps more?) is the key for other problems.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Sounds like it might have to do with Nvidia Inspector's interaction with it, and not the Spark engine, per se.
    Especially because other FPS limiters i've tried (like fraps) do not have this symptom
    edited February 2015
    The fps limiter per nvidia Inspector is done via the driver.
    So the card is limiting and not a software (Iike fraps or NS2).

If i lock it ingame via console i have the locked fps also.
    Its just strange that other games didnt have this symptom i descibed.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The first out of the gate to determine your FPS is the game engine, the software.
    3rd party software, however - Including drivers - that limit FPS ... incur input delays.
    Unlike game engine implemented FPS limiting which has zero input delay.

It's probably nvidia inspector being odd, but either way stick to using maxfps , it will be fixed soon.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just out of curiousity (and possible stupidity):

Why would you want to set a max FPS for regular gameplay? What would change from a players perspective? Input latency? Hit registration?
    edited February 2015
    Less variance in fps produces smooth visuals and a consistent experience.

Of course if you're not using gsync or freesync (in which case you wouldn't need to limit fps) Then there's going to be downsides like input delay or screen tearing, or large drops in fps (if you can't hold 60 fps with vsync it will drop to 30)

So it's not worth it Imo, instead just use either of those technologies.
    edited February 2015
    This video explain why its better to lock the fps (its in german).