Female character.

Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
So i was looking through the sketchfab page an there was aload of new models (warper,Exosuit,Red Piranha Etc.)

And then i saw this. https://sketchfab.com/models/556c7b30b2dd49ffa2bade11a9322333

I was more excited about the new creature models but i know a lot of people want to be a woman so here's the (unfinished) model.

Comments

• Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
  • AutochtonAutochton Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202358Members
    I'd really advise against that hairdo. My wife pointed out a few problems: A tight do like that is prone to headaches, especially when constantly getting wet. The loose ponytail, beside being hell to animate, would be getting in your way all the time, potentially obscuring vision. And speaking as someone who has done soft-body and fabric animation code, it is Hell on Earth to animate, even when dry, and when wet it's just impossible to deal with. It'll take years off your life, don't do it. A more practical hairdo might be a loose braid (think Elsa from Frozen - a braid animates like a rope, much, much easier), or short hair.
  • HexManiacHexManiac Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202066Members
    That's nice I guess, but the entire game is from a first person perspective, I'm not really seeing the point of character customization in a single-player game like this. You'd never see your character, and the only time you'd ever notice is the grunts/pain noises, and if you looked straight down at your chest. Not to mention the character wears goggles, so you wouldn't even see their face. It reminds me of a TES RPG, where you can spend hours customizing your character's appearance only to have them covered in armor and helmets. Ultimately there's no point. Unless they added multiplayer and went full out with the character customization (Change skin tone, hair style, etc.), I just don't see much of a point. It's a purely aesthetic option that you'd never see but very seldom.
    Autochton wrote: »
    I'd really advise against that hairdo. My wife pointed out a few problems: A tight do like that is prone to headaches, especially when constantly getting wet. The loose ponytail, beside being hell to animate, would be getting in your way all the time, potentially obscuring vision. And speaking as someone who has done soft-body and fabric animation code, it is Hell on Earth to animate, even when dry, and when wet it's just impossible to deal with. It'll take years off your life, don't do it. A more practical hairdo might be a loose braid (think Elsa from Frozen - a braid animates like a rope, much, much easier), or short hair.
    Aww, but I like ponytails. Not to mention the current male character already has a much weirder/impractical-er hairstyle with a half-mohawk thingy.
    Well, if it's that trivial to do, there's literally no reason not to have it. Also just once it could be nice if someone started with a female character and said oh, well, we'll add a guy some later time when we have time...
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    There's frankly plenty of reason not to do it, but I'm glad they did since most females would prefer to play as one I assume
    There's frankly plenty of reason not to do it

Name just one reason to exclude women from this game.
  • candledickscandledicks Western Slope, CO Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202491Members

Its a good bit of extra work for little to no gain.
  • Ranger375Ranger375 USA Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202485Members
    I disagree in that it's "excluding" anything.

The character is already modeled as a male for whatever reason.

There's absolutely no gameplay value added or lost due to the protaganist's sexual makeup.

It is literally a solely asthetic aspect that currently isn't even incorporated into the game and you can't even see except in shadow/pseudo-buggy looking around in the Cyclops sub. I wouldn't even know I was human shaped and not a shark with arms if not for that!

Basically what candledicks said, what a name, but anyways yes: he summed it up.

I'm sure you also decided to not read the next phrase in my sentence otherwise you wouldn't have come across in such a rude way-- and actually realized I am more or less in favor of it. If you didn't realize that I was in favor of it, then there you go, I said it plain and simple :D

I was making an opinion heard and it is important for people to realize that there could actually be a problem with resources or time that are preventing the devs from making a female character, and they have stated they would like to as well. Lastly, I'm pretty sure we already have a thread on this exact topic anyways but maybe I'm wrong
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The irony here is that you rarely see your character. After all, you are seeing out of their head. Hands are about the only thing I see any point in doing this with.

Maybe the SN reflection code will get better at some point...
  • Zoltan_aZoltan_a Belgium Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201609Members
    Lets make "it" hermaphrodite and without pilosity to simplify the job of the devs :D
  • JackBeenSpammedJackBeenSpammed Bansville Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202413Members
    edited March 2015
    Opps, wrong account.
  • JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    Here's the model everyone's talking about if you can't find it.
    https://sketchfab.com/models/556c7b30b2dd49ffa2bade11a9322333

Im with Autochton on this. Seem's to me like adding a female character model wouldn't be a bad thing. The devs wouldnt spend time on it if the player would never see it. Maybe this means there will be situations in which we will see our character in the 3rd person, or they are seriously considering considering multiplayer in the future.

Just a touch of customization is always a good thing. Maybe some folks would prefer to play as a female character. I'm sure there are plenty of chicks who like to play this game, or at least dudes who like to play as female characters.

The modelers are already making a lot of assets for the game. What's one more. At least if the make the player models the same size they can use the same animations as the male model.
    edited March 2015
    Candledicks, Seldkam, that attitude is why female gamers feel like they're second class citizens. Male is default, for arbitrary, historical and entirely sexist reasons - and attitudes like yours are, frankly, ridiculous and horrible. It's not actually a lot of work by any reasonable estimation. You rig the two bodies to the same skeleton and animations, and then you put in a goddamn switch. Code-wise, it's a day at most, if everything goes wrong and the engine is horrible in every conceivable way. More likely it's 15 minutes, given that this is Unity we're talking about (speaking as someone who develops software for a living). Sure, the rigging work is doubled - but that's not even close to a majority of the work. Animations are the exact same, unless you're dumb enough to think that women swish their hips when swimming. So it's not 'a good deal of extra work' by any reasonable estimation.

As for the gain? Well let's see. The new (female-headed) Thor comic is far outselling the previous (male-headed) one, and other comics are showing that pattern too, as are other media including games. A study showed that while male gamers were widely not finding the gender of the playable character important, female gamers overwhelmingly found their own representation to be of great importance, and consistently favor games that have representation of women. Female gamers are also the fastest growing of the two demographics. So what gain there is to be had? It's written with a dollar sign and numbers.

So basically, your whole reasoning is not only wrong, but you should probably feel bad about it.
  • WarhoundWarhound PNW Join Date: 2015-03-19 Member: 202312Members
    They should feel bad for simply voicing an opinion? They're comments were neither ridiculous or horrible but if you want to try and spin it that way be my guest.

Anyway cool on the devs for adding this and it's coming along really well!
    Warhound: An opinion is not necessarily worthy of respect, and some opinions demonstrate deplorable attitudes. Deplorable attitudes are in fact something to be ashamed of. Sexism is one such deplorable attitude, and a tremendously common one - as demonstrated by the fact that two commentators, I assume in good standing, felt it necessary to state outright untruths (that it's a lot of work, and that it's no gain), here. They probably don't think of themselves as sexist - but they wrote sexist words nonetheless. Yes, that's something to feel bad about, and primarily, something to fix.
  • FormousFormous USA Join Date: 2015-01-19 Member: 200918Members
    Speaking as a female myself, I am not truly offended by Candlesticks or Selkham. Speaking objectively, a female character, for myself and others, would be a wonderful addition, as I prefer to play female characters. However I am also understanding their point of view. I fear a fair number of you are reading way too deep on what they have said. They speak of coding and rigging, not against women. They do have valid and respectable concerns in terms of preparation of the model, but I do not wholly agree with them in regards to little gain. The gender and perspective of who you are is a major factor on any player, and does have a subtle influence on the "Fun Factor" and "Roleplay" of the experience. However, Warhound makes a point, nothing was innately sexist here.

Remember everyone, just because something seems some particular way, does not mean it is. This is a forum on a game currently undergoing active modeling and coding processes. Consider that when people voice a objection to something's inclusion, then read again. My opinion is I, despite really wanting to have model customization, want a female rig to come near the end of development when we can start looking at Co-op again. It is a rather big thing once other people start to be able to see you, and people in games prefer, largely from my experience, if your friends did not all look like the Star Wars Clone Army. A level of body customization and gender customization (kill the female model's hair! Ponytails are bad in water. How about long hair? or Shoulder length? And maybe work on the thin face? Sorry devs, just a aesthetic critic time to time, all in good humor) would provide a serious additive to the game, because other players you play with can and will be common sights, and lack the fact that those alien fish in the water, who would be almost indistinct to a foreign human eye, will all look the same, while that same human eye would note the differences on a human's face, a known human especially, very readily. The point is, you will be looking for whatever variation you can on a fellow survivor, and making people feel and appear unique from others is a big part of that immersion.

Autochton, you're the kind of person who makes a practical, realistic issue into a sex issue when it really just isn't. I am completely aware there are idiotic gamers out there who would say "never" to bothering with a female character-- but again, you must READ what I WRITE in order to criticize me. Did you not even see how many times I said I am glad they have made the model? I've said it at least 2 times. I think a lot of people here don't bother keeping their heads about them in situations like this...

What you outlined with the animations would make a POOR "female" character because the sounds of a male would be uttered through your "female" character's teeth. Good luck with that lol

As for Formous, I'm glad and sorry that you slightly agree / but more or less disagree-- I guess I should mention that when I said "little gain" I really meant that it would take a significant (in relative time to how long updates take) amount of time to make a proper female character: during a time when I think mechanics should be focused on, and not aesthetics (because, frankly, male or female, that's what this thread is about)

Now, I'm happy that the model exists, but I would recommend / hope that the devs keep the female for a time when they can A) FOCUS PROPERLY on it and not give 50%, and B ) actually make sure that every other mechanic is completed and well made (this doesn't mean content-- I mean game mechanics. Adding extra tools or vehicles while making the female character is fine with me and I think it is a good idea to make it alongside those other pieces of content, however, when the game is so devoid of advanced mechanics, that is what the devs should focus on, and practically nothing else IMO)

I realize I"m rather privileged in quite a few ways as a male in general, but in gaming terms in a first person game, I wouldn't care if I was playing as a boy or a girl-- I can't find evidence that I'm really a male or female that would fully engage me either way-- unless it was third person. (If you really play the female character then immediately check in-game Subnautica that your character is indeed female, by looking at her chest, then, well, I'm not sure what to say... There shouldn't be a NEED to "prove" that the character is or is not what it says it is)

If Subnautica's main (first) character made was a woman, I'd actually be happy, depending of course on a lot of other things that have nothing to do with sex/ gender issues-- it would make people happy and is, unfortunately, novelty in our world of gaming
  • candledickscandledicks Western Slope, CO Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202491Members
    @Autochton "I should feel bad" LOL.
    Male is default, for arbitrary, historical and entirely sexist reasons - and attitudes like yours are, frankly, ridiculous and horrible.
    I don't see how saying making a female character is a good bit of extra work is sexist? You're right that male is the default for arbitrary and historical reasons, and probably for sexist reasons sometimes too, I doubt this is one of those times.
    It's not actually a lot of work by any reasonable estimation. -snip- Code-wise, it's a day at most -more snip- More likely it's 15 minutes
    I can get a lot of things done in a day. And more so, you said it yourself, it is not just extra for the coders. Any extra work is extra work, and you must ask yourself for even the smallest addition "Is it worth it? Does the audience care? Is it possible to work that in with our already limited resources? Will we have to cut something out to make time for it?"
    As for the gain? Well let's see. The new (female-headed) Thor comic is far outselling the previous (male-headed) one, and other comics are showing that pattern too, as are other media including games
    Remember Me sold pretty well.
    A study showed that while male gamers were widely not finding the gender of the playable character important, female gamers overwhelmingly found their own representation to be of great importance, and consistently favor games that have representation of women.
    Now this one I can't argue with. I do not care how my player character is represented in game, it isn't important to me because I'm just gonna stick myself in their shoes no matter who or what they are, whereas I have a couple female friends that go nuts when a female player character is introduced (to a game they are already playing, I have yet to hear of them buying a game because they could play a girl.)
    Female gamers are also the fastest growing of the two demographics. So what gain there is to be had? It's written with a dollar sign and numbers.
    I could point you to Remember Me again. It's likely that the "studies" you are getting the "female gamers are the fastest growing demographic" (there are more than 2 demographics btw) from include mobile and Facebook games. While yes, they are games, they are not the same category of games. They are putting my mom, playing an hour of Farmville a day, in the same category as my brother, whom you can not tear away from a computer screen for more than a few hours. In addition to that, one of these people spends hundreds of dollars on video games and one spends none. Guess which? Hint, their genitals hang outside of the body.
    Warhound: An opinion is not necessarily worthy of respect, and some opinions demonstrate deplorable attitudes. Deplorable attitudes are in fact something to be ashamed of. Sexism is one such deplorable attitude, and a tremendously common one - as demonstrated by the fact that two commentators, I assume in good standing, felt it necessary to state outright untruths (that it's a lot of work, and that it's no gain), here. They probably don't think of themselves as sexist - but they wrote sexist words nonetheless. Yes, that's something to feel bad about, and primarily, something to fix.
    An opinion is always worthy of respect. I respect your opinion in fact, in spite of how wrong I think you are and how insulted I am that you are calling me a sexist. I will re iterate, "I don't see how saying making a female character is a good bit of extra work is sexist?".
    Maybe making a female character is not a ton of work like you say, but it certainly is for less gain than focusing on progressing the game forward towards say, being content complete. For example, a female character has ZERO impact on me, thus no gain; Perhaps it actually does make the game totally awesome for a woman out there, then its for tons of gain, and question then becomes "how many women will it make the game totally awesome for?" I'm willing to bet that it's a comparatively small number. Oh, and again "I should feel bad." Just LOL

Now, all this said, if you're even reading this still Autochton, them including a female Player Character is a good thing! I am merely more concerned with the allocation of development resources, as Formous says (she actually has a metric ton of good points), than keeping them darn wimmenz out of muh vidya gaems. Though with the way you seem to argue, I bet I'm still a disgusting sexist pig that should have my tongue cut out for having an opinion that does not fall directly in line with yours, aren't I?
    People can be sexist, actions can be sexist. Not all actions done by a sexist person will be sexist (it's likely they don't eat their lunch in a particularly sexist way every day, for instance), and not all sexist actions are done by a sexist person. In fact, the vast, overwhelming majority of sexist actions - defined for our purposes as "actions which further the power imbalance between men and women" - are done by people who wouldn't harm another person consciously in a thousand years. But they do these things nonetheless. You may note that I at no point called any person here sexist - I merely pointed to sexist actions. So basically, anyone who's butthurt that I 'called them a sexist' is reading into things that aren't there. And your actions and words? Those are fair game. That's what discussion is.

Now, as for the actual argumentation here, I'm seeing a bunch of you agree that there's a lot of gain to be had. I'd say that's probably the least disputable point mentioned here so far. So we can, I think, call that one done.

@Seldkam You mention the sounds. Just how many sounds are there even in game at this point? I suspect recording a single pain grunt (and please make it a pain grunt, not an orgasm one - the distinction is apparently hard for some people) is not exactly an overwhelming task. So far, no part of this task has actually been hard, or time consuming.

As for making things into a 'sex issue' (interesting term - usually it gets called 'sexism' instead?) I call it like I see it. Making the risibly false statement that there's no gain to be had here has to come from somewhere, and given that the people making the statement were male, a normal, ordinary default reason is sexism. We grow up suffused in it, and unless we make a concerted effort to escape, it dominates our lives. Hence, largely everything involving gender differences ends up involving sexism. It's everywhere.

@candledicks Not all opinions are worthy of respect - unless you think e.g. the opinion that people of color are lesser than white people and should be subservient to them, is worthy of respect too. I assume you don't - most reasonable people don't. Your 'concern' about resource allocation is... misplaced, at best, and may well come from an unexamined root you won't like when you do look. I have presented reasons why it would not be a waste of time - why it would be hugely beneficial, in fact. You have not managed to argue against them.

@Formous The fact remains that 'it's too much work' wasn't enough of an excuse for Ubisoft, and it's not a sufficient excuse for anyone else, either. Kerbal Space Program have finally gotten around to sticking a pink bow on the head of a kerbal and adding female names to its lineup for their 1.0 release, apparently that was too much work to do at any prior point as well. It's a sop, a cop-out, and I for one am tired of it. So, by the way, is my wife.
    Not all opinions are worthy of respect - unless you think e.g. the opinion that people of color are lesser than white people and should be subservient to them, is worthy of respect too. I assume you don't - most reasonable people don't.
    No, even the most despicable opinions deserve to be respected (remember, they're only opinions). Once they attempt to force their opinion on other people through means other than rational discussion, now that's another story.
    Back on topic, Why is my 'concern' about resource allocation misplaced, and what do you feel is the unexamined root of my 'concern'? I don't think anyone has called the creation of a female PC a waste of time, just that there are other more pressing issues at this time in the dev cycle. Like in your KSP analogy, it was not that it was too much work or a waste of time, there were simply other things to be done, and Squad is not known for quick development. At all. I do have a question for you and your wife though, is diversity for the sake of diversity actually good diversity?
  • LeahJLeahJ London Join Date: 2015-03-25 Member: 202575Members
    edited March 2015
    As a female gamer I'm pleased to see the devs working on a female character, I don't mind if they don't give it priority, but it would feel exclusionary if they didn't do it at all (or made a point of pushing it back).

To those suggesting it shouldn't be priority (particularly candledicks) I'm really trying to convince myself that there're no sexist attitudes at the heart of your comments, but it really is difficult.

The thing is, it's not that much work, and the devs have done loads that falls outside the "game mechanics" that many on this board are insisting should come first. Looking at the trello, transfuser animations for the upcoming build are already done, and they're working on a reaper kill animation (and I can't imagine anyone saying that should wait until near the end of development, can you?). Someone even suggested, to quote:

"Can we get the arms continuing to flail and swim back, until he gets pulled into the mouth? Like he's swimming and swimming, and then when the pull happens, his arms are dragged out of frame by the force of the pull."

That sounds really cool, and I hope it's in the next build, but it's probably more work than implementing a female PC (I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong). Presumably you'd all be equally vocal about how that can and should wait.
    I don't understand, it was stated that having a second female character was extra work not because "It's a girl and girl's are icky" but because it's a brand new model and animations that the player will hardly, if ever, see. The character model is, quite honestly, completely and utterly aesthetic and doesn't really mean anything in the long run. The idea that "It's extra work for little pay off" would be there if the female was the original and the male was added later.

I mean, no one here even said "Do not add this in", or anything I'd call opposition to the model, they just expressed doubts as to if it'd really matter.

If the game did decide to go down the multiplayer route and add character customization that would be nice and having a gender selection then would be of more priority, but right now when we don't even know if multiplayer will be a thing, I think there are bigger priorities that should be worked on. Like gameplay.
    Starting to think this thread should be closed-- this topic was bound to get heated but it shouldn't have... The devs will do what they will do

As for LeahJ, I'm sorry that we are making you uncomfortable, and I mean that sincerely-- however, in general, judging someone over the internet... isn't ever really worth it :P it's best to take our comments at face value and not trying to dig into "our real motive"

I hope I didn't make that worse lol, but I understand a version of what you're feeling about seeing things on the internet about a group you belong to, so I'm not just wagging my finger (or at least I"m trying not to)

As for Auto, I don't think we are going to be able to come to an agreement of any description so I suggest we agree to disagree and go our own ways for now :)
    @HexManiac I'm sure you always believe that people say exactly what they mean any time they say anything. Presumably this is especially true of salesmen and politicians, right? Meanwhile, you propagate the nonsensical idea that there would be little gain. I can guarantee you that having a female player character early on would bring far more gain than would, oh, let's say, a Reaper kill animatic!

@candledicks The only people who don't value diversity are those who are always catered to: White, straight, non-disabled, cisgender men. Everyone else usually finds that they're not represented anywhere near enough in, well, anything. This increases the further you diverge from that 'standard'. So yes. All diversity is good diversity. No two ways about that.

@Seldkam The internet is the real world too, it's not some magical dreamworld. If something on the internet leaves you uncomfortable, that's actually a real thing, not just something you can write off.
  • LeahJLeahJ London Join Date: 2015-03-25 Member: 202575Members
    Oh don't worry you're not making me uncomfortable, I was just noting what seemed to be a bit of a double standard.

I think everyone holds mild prejudices of one kind or another, often without realising it. It's probably not their fault, but I'd suggest that if someone calls you out on being prejudiced it's always worth taking a look in the mirror, they might have a point, even if you had the best of intentions.

Also inclined to agree that everyone should walk away from this thread, the female PC will happen whenever the devs intend it to happen.
    @HexManiac I'm sure you always believe that people say exactly what they mean any time they say anything. Presumably this is especially true of salesmen and politicians, right?
    Are you seriously comparing a discussion about a video game model to politics? That's silly.
    Meanwhile, you propagate the nonsensical idea that there would be little gain.
    I find it kinda ironic how you compare me to a politician, yet you're the one using loaded words like "propagate" lol. Anyways, I said that right now you'd barely see your character model, and occasionally hear them. Bear in mind this is a first person game, and there are plenty of FPS that had very limited character models, usually only focusing on the arms and hands. Unless the male and female had different gameplay options (Such as the female being able to swim faster and hold her breath longer, at the cost of reduced health, being an option for more experienced players. That would be really cool.) than the option is purely aesthetic. And a barely aesthetic option that the player barely sees is not of that much gain. Again, it's not a bad thing, but when there's more things to work on right now it can wait.
    I can guarantee you that having a female player character early on would bring far more gain than would, oh, let's say, a Reaper kill animatic!
    You're implying I said a fancy Reaper kill animation was of more gain, which I never did. Right now outside of a few slight behavior tweaks the Reaper is pretty much finished. It's a giant fish that can instantly kill the player. It has a job and does it. All it really needs added is to set the camera to third person to show the reaper quickly eating the player to relay the information of what killed it. Outside of that, yeah it's fine, and doesn't really need a more enhanced and fancy one like described earlier, not now.

This game is in a pre-alpha stage. Right now aesthetic options shouldn't be the priority. What should be is working on the gameplay, design, objectives, all the internal stuff. I don't want this game to fall into the same trap Minecraft did where they ended up being so focused on small things during the development stages they ended up completely forgetting to work on actual game design, and ended up releasing an absolute unfocused mess as a "Finished Product".
    @LeahJ I promise you my intentions are pure. I'm definitely not the best communicator, and my speech patterns can be.. I don't know, gruff, at times so I apologize if I'm not the most sensitive, but my intentions for this discussion are not sexist, I'm trying to be as clear as I can about that, but as I said before, not the best at talking. And yeah, I think the arm flailing animation should also be put aside for a later update. Like a female PC, good idea, I just seriously doubt that it is actually important right now.

@Autchton So slapping the token black guy in a game is a good thing? That means more black people like it and buy it, no?
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited March 2015
    Boy this thread sure devolved... I just feel/almost feel like reporting a few people here. Tone down the bashing ppl and remain civil.

As for having a female model/avatar/character in game I support it and would like to see it happen, especially if the game ever gets multiplayer/co op
  • JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    edited March 2015
    Hey guys lets just calm down a bit. It's just a game after all.

We should all be able to agree that girls that play real video games are awesome. If playing as a female character would make some people feel more comfortable I don't see what the big deal is. It probably wouldn't take more than a day's worth of work to finish the in progress model and rig the existing character animations to it. Regardless this seems unlikely to get added until the end of the development cycle or if they implement co-op.
    No need for throwing insults around, some people really need to keep things in perspective.

Please take a moment to enjoy this brief video and reflect.
    cb2a3eb5bbb116bb5fedd8f963bf135972544fdc34d016cdab426bca0f23b7c2.jpg