strange sound problem

Dr_LagphragDr_Lagphrag Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8785Members
In NS2 and a few other games (but not all), the sound is WAY too loud. I have it all the way down to the lowest level (not off) and it's really really loud. Since I often have a variety of multimedia content running at the same time, lately I've just been turning voice to the lowest setting (still WAY loud) and general sounds to 'off'. Needless to say, NS2 without sound is nearly impossible to play. Anyone had to fix this or got any ideas how to fix this?

W7 64bit homemade machine
asus rog board
i7 chip

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just turn ns2 down in the Windows sounds mixer
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Do you mean to say that the sound settings ns2 aren't working? That it's the same loud volume regardless of settings? Or do you mean the volume controls are working properly, but even at the lowest it's too loud -- and presumably, at the highest setting would level a small village?

If the latter, then yea try what Samus says, but if the volume is constant throughout... that sounds like a bug.
  • Dr_LagphragDr_Lagphrag Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8785Members
    the volume controls are working properly, but even at the lowest it's too loud

two screens....two sources of sound 1. NS2 2.other media (variety)

I turn NS2 control to lowest setting and it's still very loud

If I turn down windows sound sours 2 goes silent

thanks for the replies

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    Go into control panel, select whichever sound control your computer is using for example "Realtek" and enable Loudness Equalization so all your sounds are level across the board, feel free to have a poke at other settings that maybe affecting it, see if that helps.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If all else fails, re install the sound driver.