Best performance settings?

maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
So i recently upgraded my GPU, and am no longer CPU bound now hitting 200FPS before the round starts and going from 120 down to 40-60 late game... My CPU is older (955Be OC to 3.7) and is not topping 75% usage while in game. Is there anything i can do to help out my CPU... is there a difference between D3d9 and d3d11?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2015
    AFAIK, DX9 will run smoother as it loads less stuff and NS2 isn't really using any of the advanced features of DX11

Ambient Occlusion OFF as that is a frigging resource hog in any case

Shadows, well off can help...

smelly mist or as they call it, atmospherics (well of will make stuff less smelly, not sure about performance though :P)

Reflections off

Those will probably up your FPS, just not sure how much of an impact. You'd have to experiment with them

And resolution can have an impact, but native res is usually best (I run in a window @ 1600x900, since I have those oddball 16:10 ratio screens, below 1080p...)

and of course... 18-22 players or lower servers :P
  • BarryGorgeBarryGorge London, UK Join Date: 2015-01-28 Member: 201100Members
    I play with all settings on or high, apart from shadows, atmospherics, bloom and ambient occlusion all off. Not because they hog resources but because they hinder game play. They make parts of the map too dark and enemies can remain unseen because of them. I keep reflections on though because they look good. Just experimenting with anti aliasing and MFAA at the moment.