ns2_gorgon Update: 2/15

FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
edited February 2015 in Mapping

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    This looks really nice, very pretty. No immediate issues with the layout that I can see.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    omagawd ! Quite nice Fivz
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2015
    Interesting map, have you had games played on it yet? SCC could help you out with that if you wished? is it up on the workshop yet? what are your plans for the map?

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SCC-P Here is the link to our group if you wish to join up.

We playing/test sunday nights 8pm GMT
  • FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
    If the publishing thing is fixed then I'll put it up on the workshop by next week. It was suppose to be out last month but I couldn't publish anything on steam.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Where does this map come from? I mean, I used to see mappers posting their thread about a greyboxed map at first and then, being able to see their evolution. Yours looks just awesome and never heard about it before that. Stratos apart of course!
  • MajorTicoMajorTico New York Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188942Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Looks really awesome, by looking at the overview map. It looks as there may be a lot of vents. But thats speculation, seeing as ive never played it. But it looks visually beautiful and cant wait to check it out. :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    wow, looks amazing and I agree with the previous comments, where has this been hiding? How could you have done so much work and not teased us beforehand :P
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    looks like a solid layout cant wait to try it with the scc
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nice! Is it up on the workshop yet?
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2015
    the vents look so tiny on this picture. Is the map that huge?

Also it looks like some copy and paste have happened around the center which also reminds me of an old political symbol

And why publishing a map that looks so grea already? Isn't it hard to make layout changes, if needed, on a detailed map?

also looks almost too symmetrical for my taste^^
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Yeah wasn't it already the issue with Stratos ? Fully detailed map hard to modify for redesigning rooms and stuff ?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2015
    Thing is though, the layout looks super solid.
    So I'm guessing 9 RT's, and 5 tech points?
    I wanted to try to make a symmetrical map to see how it works out and yes the map is 5 tech points and 9 RT's.

If the map needs some major changes I don't mind doing an overhaul.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    Fivz wrote: »
    If the publishing thing is fixed then I'll put it up on the workshop by next week. It was suppose to be out last month but I couldn't publish anything on steam.

I had this error too, Steam always created a new mod for me instead of overwritting. here is the solution:

1.Open mod.settings file
    2.Change publish_id = "xy" to the right id if launchpad has changed it
    3.Close file and rightclick, properities.
    4. Make it read-only
    5. Open launchpad and mod again. Before you publish click build and rebuild
    6. Et voila, steam should update your mod
  • KovenKoven Join Date: 2007-04-20 Member: 60677Members, Constellation
    edited January 2015
    oy vey that layout is very offensive. The middle is like the Nazi symbol. Your map is preaching Anti-Semitic hate speech.

Remember the 6 billion goy.

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Koven wrote: »
    oy vey that layout is very offensive. The middle is like the Nazi symbol. Your map is preaching Anti-Semitic hate speech.

I'm sure he was inspired by that. lol.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2015
    it isnt even the same as the nazi symbol, take another look

the map is symmetrical from top right to bottom left, te swastika is not symmetrical
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    This is too awesome. You need some map specific props, let me know.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    furthermore the swastika was a symbol for love and peace for centuries before the nazis.. :/

Map looks gorgeous.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Koven wrote: »

So he's buddhist.
    Woopty fuckin do.
    The map should be up on steam now. Please let me know if there's any problems with the ai pathing and commander camera. Link is in the first post.
    Feedback time :

You should fix starting spawn points. It appears that you can spawn in the middle of the map both as marines and aliens

Mineshaft :

Big blue container next to the Mineshaft hive RT feels out of place. It seems hard to jump out of the hive and go defend that RT in cas it is sniped by marines from the entrance of the room.

The big fan in Mineshaft is visible in spectate/commander POV and shouldn't be (too large)

You can place structures on the broken minecart in front of the tech point, but can not on the ground right after and before it it. It think it's because of the light props. Suggestion : you might want to remove it so there can be enough space for marines to put all their basic structures. Without them being so close to each other that one bile bomb could hit all of them :)

Mineshaft tunnel : you cannot drop anything in this corridor, all ends up in the ceiling.

Light prop still appearing in spec in Engine.

Pipeline : props not comm invisible

Almost all vents are too small to get in : I've only manage to get in one of them and I almost got stuck

Missing room names on the minimap

I don't have any more time for this today, but map looks great. I like the tech points.
    But you really need to get rid of these one-way corridors. They are no fun and a pain for both sides to go through.

ps : I have some screenshots if you want, don't have time to upload them right now but if you need it, ask me, I'll do that tonight
    edited January 2015
    You should fix starting spawn points. It appears that you can spawn in the middle of the map both as marines and aliens

Mineshaft :

Big blue container next to the Mineshaft hive RT feels out of place. It seems hard to jump out of the hive and go defend that RT in cas it is sniped by marines from the entrance of the room.

The big fan in Mineshaft is visible in spectate/commander POV and shouldn't be (too large)

You can place structures on the broken minecart in front of the tech point, but can not on the ground right after and before it it. It think it's because of the light props. Suggestion : you might want to remove it so there can be enough space for marines to put all their basic structures. Without them being so close to each other that one bile bomb could hit all of them

Mineshaft tunnel : you cannot drop anything in this corridor, all ends up in the ceiling.

Light prop still appearing in spec in Engine.

Pipeline : props not comm invisible

Almost all vents are too small to get in : I've only manage to get in one of them and I almost got stuck

Missing room names on the minimap

Fixing the tunnels and the vents now.

Update: Fixed Mineshaft tunnels.
    Sweet. I'll resume my feedback tonight. I had to go to work, so I just spent 20mn on it, most of them in mineshaft testing building drops etc. I'll do a more in depth look around when i have time
    Okay everything posted so far has been fixed hopefully. New version is out.
  • MajorTicoMajorTico New York Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188942Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Mineshaft- In picture, the platform above hive makes it very difficult to drop structures.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382044269

Room is very easy to GL. Suggest putting in more rocks in ceiling to make it difficult to do so.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382044172

Database- The hallway connecting database to mineshaft tunnel. Needs more cover would suggest pipes similar from one of the rooms on caged. (Don’t remember the name) *

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382044152

Pipeline- would highly suggest moving the res node location to shown ping.( could remove pipe and put res node there). And removing the current room where the rt is. I suggest this because it makes base VERY open and easy to just walk in as skulk and just bite and kill the rt.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382044077

West Corridor- Needs cover. Suggest piping in ceiling. That way it gives aliens alternate paths down the hallway.*

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382044280

Central Hub- At its current state, if taken by aliens. The only way to take back the room is actually arcing it. Although that’s not a problem. But it makes the room REALLY alien friendly and impossible to take, from an alien hive.

East Passage – As stated before needs cover.*

Oasis- Cover* http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382044298

South Tunnel- Cover*

*- I *’ed? everything thing I believe needs cover. And the reason its * is because these changes can all be fixed with similar solutions. Solutions that are literally just adding more detail to the rooms, such as just adding props, crates, rafters in ceilings, etc. . Because most of the rooms are just empty hallways, ATM which makes them SUPER marine friendly. Although you have the vents in each of these hallways. That isn’t enough to stop a well skilled marine from BLASTING down skulks at the other end of the hallway.
    This map is very beautiful atm and I love it. I really hope you do take these suggestions into consideration because this is beatuful with an awesome layout. But these changes I feel will really balance the map. :D

P.S. I do still have more suggestions and if you’d like to add me on steam id gladly tell you them, just don’t want to bore you here.
    edited January 2015
    MajorTico wrote: »
    Mineshaft- In picture, the platform above hive makes it very difficult to drop structures.

Room is very easy to GL. Suggest putting in more rocks in ceiling to make it difficult to do so.
    Added a rock ceiling

Database- The hallway connecting database to mineshaft tunnel. Needs more cover would suggest pipes similar from one of the rooms on caged. (Don’t remember the name) *
    Added props to block LoS

Pipeline- would highly suggest moving the res node location to shown ping.( could remove pipe and put res node there). And removing the current room where the rt is. I suggest this because it makes base VERY open and easy to just walk in as skulk and just bite and kill the rt.

West Corridor- Needs cover. Suggest piping in ceiling. That way it gives aliens alternate paths down the hallway.*
    Added props to block LoS

Central Hub- At its current state, if taken by aliens. The only way to take back the room is actually arcing it. Although that’s not a problem. But it makes the room REALLY alien friendly and impossible to take, from an alien hive.

East Passage – As stated before needs cover.*
    Added props to block LoS

South Tunnel- Cover*
    Shortened Tunnel. Added ceiling props

Most of the problems are hopefully fixed. As for Pipeline and Central, I think they might need a bit more testing before I change anything else to them.

If you want, feel free to add me on steam. Same name, same picture.

UPDATE: New version is up.

edited January 2015
    New version is up

Change log:

-Changed the ramps in Mineral Junction, Database, Crossroad, and Engine.

I'm thinking of adding 3 new rooms to connect the hallways leading to central. Any Feedback would be appreciated.
    IrN0MNP.jpg

Update:

New Version is up.

-Added more props to fix LoS issuess and added 3 news rooms near central.
    Storagex0NSBct.jpg
  • WoehlerWoehler Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188684Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    So I had a round on the map the other night on The Thirsty Onos server, although it was at 3 AM. But here's my thoughts.
    From the first look so you have details everywhere and no grey boxes. But the second thing I noticed was how the whole map is basically just hallways. And it is simple and wide hallways. I have no idea how the aliens would even have a chance. Playing on the marine team I just shot down every skulk from afar before getting into any kind of danger.
    This trend did not stop in the hallways. But continued to the big Tech Points with not that many props.

TL;DR. Hallways should be connecting rooms. Not another hallway. And try to mix up the geometry. Not just the texture.
    (To be honest. I only managed to see ½ the map in that round. Was too easy as marine)
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I got complaints about holes in the map so I've removed it from The Thirsty Onos servers for now. I didn't get any details about where the problems are.