Capture the Flag Mod [Alpha]

ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
Capture the Flag!

Having had the idea for a long time to make this mod I've finally learned enough about Lua to have a stab at it, with the help of SoulRider. Essentially we've made a very alpha version of a CTF(read hydra instead of flag) game that features the full suite of aliens and class based marines, but minus the NS2 commanders and RTS elements.

Game Play

Standard capture the flag where the first to capture 3 flags wins the game. Flags spawn on the resource point at each team's start location and when captured or when returned will spawn back there also.

Marine Classes

Scout - Fast and has shotgun but has low health. Ideally suited to capturing the flag.

Medic - Supports the team by healing other team mates with the healing gun.

Engineer - Supports the team by welding their armour and building structures such as sentries and armouries.

Assault - Damage dealer of the team and suited to killing alien life forms.

Alien Classes

Alien life forms largely remain the same but have access to all their abilities. This will be updated as necessary.

Workshop Link

ModID: 168c752b

This is effectively a work in progress and requires significant attention with regards to implementing features, balance and polish. It is not as polished as SWS was at alpha, so stay tuned!

Daan - additional code

Comments

• Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks @Anti_Boson‌

We really should mention, this is not NS2 speed, this is VERY fast. Essentially based on the concepts for the proving grounds mod with regards to player movement and speed. In fact, testing may show this is way too fast for melee based hit-reg, but hey, without trial and error, who knows.. :D
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Good on you fellas, sounds fun! Hope to try it out sometime!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Just wondering if anyone has run this? Any servers, or even any players just firing it up and giving it a try with cheats. We would like any feedback at all.

Also if anyone has a Euro server that could maybe stick it up for a few hours this weekend so I can have a play, could you let me know?

I'd really like to play the game, but sadly haven't yet, too busy coding to play it properly, only done testing to make sure it all works :(
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2015
    Wooza's Club Bizarre running Capture the Flag Mod [Alpha] from now on.
    IP: Apheriox.dyndns.org:27019

Feel free to do whatever you want to. If you want the log, just ask, will provide as much as you need

Here are some Bug reports:

-Hydra dissapear from map when Alien is evolving and carry the Hydra
    -Not working with NS2+ Mod
    -Game will be listed as "NS2" game on server browser
    -Aliens Upgrades not working

Thanks for the bug report, we are aware of all issues apart from upgrades not working and compatability with NS2+? Could you expand on the upgrades issue?

Compatibility with NS2+ is going to be almost impossible due to the customised classes and various other things we add. Unless Mendasp wants to put a huge amount of support for it, which is probably not going to happen :)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    I played around with it today with cheats.

I can confirm that hydras disappear when the holding alien evolves. It is gone and the game can not continue. I can also confirm alien upgrades not working. You evolve them but they have no effect. Celerity does not make you faster. Phantom doesn't make you silent or cloak. Carapace does not give you more armor. Regen gives you the regen sound if hurt but no more healing than natural regeneration.

For this game mode, how well does it scale with player count? I assume it scales upward very well. How low can it go? I think probably 5v5? Maybe 4v4?

Having not played a real game, I don't think I understand the role of the skulk if all life forms are free. Its much faster, as fast as lerk but does not have as much armor or maneuverability. Fade is the fastest, with an unskilled fade like me sustaining speeds of around 19 all the way across lava falls on refinery. Fades also have increased combat potential compared to skulk and lerk.

Also the hydra makes movement a bit awkward sometimes. You tend to shake a bit while holding it.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2015
    this mod works with standard maps? i get the feeling hydra would be well suited to this game type
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    this mod works with standard maps? i get the feeling hydra would be well suited to this game type
    Kodiak and Refinery also. All three maps have a large center lane which I feel works well with this mod. Hydra by name alone is fitting too.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Works on any map that has a resource point near the hive as the flag spawns on this.
    Been doing some work on this but cannot figure out why the alien players can still evolve when they have the flag.

Marines can't, and even if I set Aliens up exactly the same, they can still bring up the buy menu, so needs more investigation.

The alien upgrades are not currently available because pre-requisites are disabling them.

Once I have figured out the evolve issue, I will then fix alien upgrades.

Please note, posting balance problems with the mod is a waste of time, as we haven't yet even designed how the aliens are going to play. Marines are very different from NS2 marines, and I'd expect aliens to end up very differently. This is Alpha, we are more concerned with getting the contents and basic gamerules and features working, than worrying about balance for now.

Balance will become an issue when we have an idea of what we are going to do.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2015
    wouldnt it be better to have classes like the marines but with set alien life forms? no evolving or is it to much code to change?

i would use tunnels as alien ips and have both teams work similarly
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think both teams should use menus for choosing classes. Changing class would trigger a suicide.

I would love to contribute to the CTF mod!