Unofficial Suggestions Thread

Crumbling EgoCrumbling Ego Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164692Members
Until the actual suggestions forum is up and running, we need a place to blather endlessly about whatever we think belongs in the game. I'll start us off.

The Bestiary:
A system entirely dedicated to information about the various life-forms that you find in this alien world, it would be accessible through the PDA, probably between the inventory and submarine buttons. It would consist of a piece of concept art of the life-form, along with some basic facts about it, such as its dimensions, what it eats, what materials it drops, and what time of day it is active. On the bottom of the page there would also be a short paragraph detailing how the life-form lives, its role in the ecology, and any special adaptations it may have. There would be a dedicated scanner tool that would allow you to add new life forms to the Bestiary, further rewarding exploration, especially to areas that don't have very many natural resources.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It is a nice idea, maybe if they update that info in a wiki page, and you can browse it from in your submarine command chair menu, while waiting for something to occur in your research. It could then be tied to limit your access to creatures you have researched.

It would also provide a lot more work, to integrate into the game and to update the wiki, but hey, it's an idea.
  • AdmiralBaneAdmiralBane Join Date: 2014-12-21 Member: 200179Members
    edited December 2014
    Well I guess I can add something to this :)

Base Building:
    It would be great to be able to build some open air base, be it on some lone small (natural) island or on an artificial platform on the water surface. It would add this great Robinson Crusoe feeling to the game if you know what I mean. Or just a possibility to go outside and sit there with your fishing rod :D

Storms:
    Whats more terrifying and beautiful than a nice storm out on the open sea? Would be great to be able to experience this (safely in my home base, looking outside :P)
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    More mechanics and pacing, but it is far too easy to make seamoths and glides etc. as of now IMO. Within 10 minutes of playing I made both of those, (so that means I made a constructor too,) and cooked about 10 fish, and made 2 oxygen tanks, and flippers... This is a lot of things that went by a lot faster than I would've hoped. If they're aiming for replayability is something I value very highly, I would suggest making it harder, perhaps refining the metal, or maybe just adding more options to those means of transportation, like instead of flippers, some kind of mini seaglide that can attach to your back, or two that attach to your feet-- etc.
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    edited December 2014

Storms:
    Whats more terrifying and beautiful than a nice storm out on the open sea? Would be great to be able to experience this (safely in my home base, looking outside :P)

It appears you and I were on the same page when thinking of storms. What do you think about a buoyancy-controlled base for the harsher storms? It could be a similar procedure to how submarines dive deeper in storms. I think an observation deck for such times would be great...hot cocoa-flavored fish (hey it's an alien world isn't it?), watching the caustic patterns from the undulation of the violent waves and lighting dance across the acrylic ceiling. The sound of lightning from underwater is pretty cool as well!

http://www.dosits.org/resources/all/featuresounds/lightning/
    edited December 2014
    After much time in the Sea Moth, or as I like to call it, the Stevie Wonder of the Sea, I found that a horizon indicator gauge/HUD element would be great...especially in the caves. The sea moth has a range of listing to one side which is already disorienting. I know it's early, but PLEASE don't consider the sea moth controls to be complete.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Aeroflux wrote: »
    I know it's early, but PLEASE don't consider the sea moth controls to be complete.
    We don't. I fact we hardly consider anything complete. Sometimes we give you very rough and unfinished stuff because our internal priorities have shifted to some other task and we have hardly any way to remove something from the game once we started working on it. Making unfinished stuff public also helps us evaluate whether we are on the right track and what is most important to improve. This is why it is called Early Access. It is not a beta test to balance, polish, wipe out rare bugs. It is a glimpse into the gritty details of game development. You are in the middle of a huge construction site.
    I'm enjoying every minute of it too. I've seen a lot of independent developers talk about frequent updates, but you guys are updating the game just about every day. I'm an animation/game design student, so all of this is cake. I get to see the professionals create a game in the genre I hold dear, and watch it slowly take shape...and you guys support the Rift. Best damn christmas gift ever!
    Really? Every day? A bit off topic I suppose but am I missing something ?
    edited December 2014
    Just about every day. You haven't noticed the save game feature being integrated? It isn't functional yet, but there is a save option in the in-game menu. Before that was some modifications to the mushroom caves (additional entrances and more work on the tunnels themselves), and then there was the addition of smoke in the escape pod. Before that was was the gravsphere, the inventory layout changes, the escape pod storage, the cube storage. Tons of stuff! It's more like Hanukkah then Christmas. :smiley:

http://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/#/subnautica/checkins

[edit] I should mention this is the experimental build I'm talking about.
    Ahh I saw some changes but not the save game feature thing is tho the next update is not for awhile lol
    I caught an update on christmas eve...strike that. There's another update now, 11317. Must be the additional entrances to the mushroom caves. :smiley:
  • JaegerbombasticJaegerbombastic Australia Join Date: 2014-12-19 Member: 200110Members
    It would be great if the added some alien flying creatures like seagulls of subnautica. Just to be astheticaly pleasing, they wouldnt need a use just it would be nice to see wildlife when i pop my head out of the water circiling and flying around. Maybe they could swoop in a snatch up some small fish.
    edited December 2014
    ^ and / or be a sign of something lurking below :D

Edit, I'm not getting the updates even though Im using the experimental branch... O_O

Edit2: As suspected it seems I had to use the steam properties settings and change some things around, hopefully that fixed it ;)
    edited December 2014
    It's the holidays guys. Please bear with us for not working on the game for a couple of days. We'll be back going full steam in early January.
  • EmperorNielEmperorNiel Hungary Join Date: 2014-12-30 Member: 200484Members
    I want to ask if there will be use of any, or if it wasn't considered then suggest the hydrothermal vents in the planned lava biome.They can act as either as a danger factor via blowing hot water upwards and damaging the player, or as a hub for animal activity, like the lava lizard could visit them periodically to eat or something.And around the wents there could be some useful materials like sulfur.
    There actually are vents in the game now-- but they're really being used more as a "this area is under construction, proceed at your own risk" sort of to barricade the player than anything else :P
    Hydrothermal vents will be an integral part of lava zone as far as I understand it. And yes, we already have a couple of them scattered around the world. Future entrances to the lavazone? Who knows.
  • EmperorNielEmperorNiel Hungary Join Date: 2014-12-30 Member: 200484Members
    LumpN wrote: »
    Hydrothermal vents will be an integral part of lava zone as far as I understand it. And yes, we already have a couple of them scattered around the world. Future entrances to the lavazone? Who knows.
    That's sound amazing. :smiley:
    It would be great if the added some alien flying creatures like seagulls of subnautica. Just to be astheticaly pleasing, they wouldnt need a use just it would be nice to see wildlife when i pop my head out of the water circiling and flying around. Maybe they could swoop in a snatch up some small fish.
    Seldkam wrote: »
    ^ and / or be a sign of something lurking below :D

I had the same idea.They could be something like the Flying fish which gained the ability of permanent flight but still submerge periodically for food.

^ Glad to hear the vents are going to be used to their full cinematic effect-- Hopefully some super sized ones ! THAT would be cool
  • GalacaticSurvivorGalacaticSurvivor NY, United States Join Date: 2016-02-12 Member: 212919Members
    I think it should be possible that the Aurora be repaired fully, and be able to go to other planets, (all ocean of course,) where there are new biomes, new fauna and flora, and new resources.