CDT - Feedback - 272 Build bug or just ns2_Mineral bug ?

MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
edited December 2014 in Mapping
So while I was testing ns2_mineral new build here's what I stumbled upon :

According to MasterG (ns2_mineral's creator) it is unlikely that it's a map bug.
I've tested this stuff on Tram just to be sure. Some meds fell of the map or just got into the ceiling but no meds where dropped elsewhere.
As a side note, the medpacks dropped on the video above all fell on the center of the map.

G's quote on the subject :
I know for a fact that the spot in automation there is the absolute middle point of the spark editor grid system

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    hi,

Maybe 2 points are at the same position making a face we don't see but **** up calculations. This kind of bug looks like a map glitch. Checking / Cleaning up would do the trick. Unfortunately it can only be manually done.

Some control functions (checking + rendering when saving) in editor could have save a lot of time and could have ensure level of quality for maps (and mappers). Checking for useless vertice, unnecessary divided segments, 2 props at the exact same location, rotation, and scale. stuff like that.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    We did change something with how they are dropped, but it should help situations like this, instead of causing bugs. I'm guessing it would be a map bug somewhere that has to be causing it cause we never had any problems when testing the change. I'll forward it to the person who made the change and see what he thinks.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2014
    Do you have anything to back that up UncleCrunch? Has this happened to you sometime before?

I just think it seems unlikely as this has not happened before in Mineral, at least that I'm aware of. And all geometrical faces(mostly) are separate(IE not welded, because it's easier to edit stuff when everything is separate like that IMO). Because the fact that every face is separate there are probably a bunch of duplicate lines/vertexes, but if what you're saying is the case this would have been happening in Mineral since day one. But as far as I know this has only happened now, after the patch that dropped on steam last night.

Either way I don't see it as a major super problem at the moment. Commanders should be dropping meds on floors and not trying to hit the top of the walls seen from commander view. Sure mistakes can happen but you need to be hitting these spots pretty accurate to replicate the bug.

I'm gonna try to get this bug replicated on geometry that is welded and see if that is in fact the problem. But I won't have time for that until later tonight or tomorrow some time.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited December 2014
    I posted this here for the CDT to take a look at because I knew something was changed on the latest build with how they are handled. :)
    Hope you guys can figure that out in the end. What's strange is that this does not happen on other maps, but this didn't happen on Mineral before. I would have noticed and MasterG too.

He and I often test medpack drops to see if their ending up on the ceilings is going to be a problem. I think we would have noticed the medpacks disappearing of ending on the exact middle of the spark editor grid (Automation on Mineral).

Here are all the clues anyway, I discovered that during a random medpack drop to see if the commander view and commander invisible stuff were working in that new area, then decided to try that out on other walls.

You other mapping and programming nerds figure it out now :D i'm not competent enough ! haha
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @MasterG‌ :
    I didn't check your map lately as i know how you do things. Maintaining my server has a downside which is to actually check all the custom map i listed in the editor... on a regular basis. And that's true that lately; i was on other things.

5 minutes ago i did loaded your map in the editor. Now I'm sure you want to please me.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    That spot where the medpacks are appearing... that wouldn't happen to be the map origin would it? (0.0,0.0,0.0)?
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2014
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    That spot where the medpacks are appearing... that wouldn't happen to be the map origin would it? (0.0,0.0,0.0)?

This^^ that is exactly the case. At least it's on coordinates 0,0,something (x,y,z or left/right, north/south, up/down). Not sure about up/down, but I'm pretty sure the floor there is catching them on x/y 0.0 coords. I'm going to do a test with welding geometry in that area later tonight to see if that makes this bug go away or not.

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think Beige's guess might have something to do with it.
    edited December 2014
    Ok so I just tested welding some geometry in that same spot where MV tries to drop meds in the video. Same thing still happens regardless of welded or not welded geometry. I made sure there are no duplicates as well. So the big question is, why does it place it on the grid origin coordinates?

Edit: checked the coordinates of that spot now just to make sure, they are 0.0, 0.0, 40.0
    This should be moved to the mapping forums.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Without even glancing at the code, my guess is, when it creates a new object, the origin will be 0, 0, 0 (because the location hasn't been set) and then get teleported to the correct destination in the same frame, however if there's any problem (like the placement turns out to be invalid), the object will be created there... this used to be an issue with some particle effects like fade blink waaaaaaaaay back.