How come you can't Shoot through Phase gates?

ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
It occurred to me that mankind's Dream regarding the use of teleportation technology, for Military leaders anyway, Was the act of transporting a Nuclear weapon in the Heart of enemies and Vaporizing them into oblivion.
Like that one episode from Ninja turtles, Turtles in space. Where they dreamed of teleporting Nukes inside Armies, Fleets, and Planets of the "Triceritons."

Well...That doesn't work out here in NS2.
accoding to Lore I read from this Brilliant thread.
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/106000/gates-moons-and-stars#latest

Anywho, Since the Phase gate is nothing more than a Wormhole for Matter to be teleported through.
I realized that Only Soldiers can pass through it. You can't Shoot or toss grenades Through it.

What would the problem be if you could?
The ability to Toss a Grenade ahead into a Phase gate to soften up Aliens biting on it and then charge through it.
Its not as though it could be Used offensively. It could be a Defensive measure with Grenade launchers and Cluster grenades to save the Gates.
Of course, Aliens will hear the Phase sound all the same if a Grenade or Soldiers goes through.

Its just an idea.

Comments

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Here's some bullshit lore excuse for why we can't:

Phase gates use an Identification, Friend or Foe technology to prevent enemies from phasing through. That technology is able to detect a friendly marine and allow him to pass, but it is unable to tell the difference between a "friendly" grenade and enemy ordnance.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Balance reason: Phasegates would be absofuckinlootly unfair, you would never be able to grind them as aliens again.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2014
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Balance reason: Phasegates would be absofuckinlootly unfair, you would never be able to grind them as aliens again.

Bile vs Grenades. If it only allowed grenades (not bullets) then chances are aliens would have Bile up by the time you could counter a grind with Grenades, so marines would have to weigh passing through to kill the gorge against waiting to grenade and skulks or other lifeforms. It does have the unfortunate side effect of making bile even more mandatory.

This scenario would also be easy to explain in Lore. Grenades are large enough to get an IFF chip and slow enough for the Gate to read the chip in time to let the grenade pass.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited December 2014
    Armymonger wrote: »
    What would the problem be if you could?

The problem would be you wouldn't be punished for being out of position.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would PG rush, and get a robo. If you can get the gate next to a hive, power it up, and grenade spam ftw (by grenade spam, I mean, You could send half your team to shot hive, and come back to base to heal, while some marines will grenade the PG from the base side preventing aliens the ability to grind it. Rinse repeat.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Because 1: Then by logic aliens can phase through (bad idea)

and 2: Shooting grenades thru the pg kills every alien within 3 meters.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    coolitic wrote: »

Say that to ns1!

• ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    Well...that was a rather fast and unanimous decision.

I don't know what to say at this point.
    Make more lore I guess on why we can't shoot through gates?
    Armymonger wrote: »
    Well...that was a rather fast and unanimous decision.

I don't know what to say at this point.
    Make more lore I guess on why we can't shoot through gates?

They aren't portals. If this were the case, aliens could come through, or, at least, marines would be able to see through the pg to the other side. Way too OP either way.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    1. Buy cluster grenades from armoury.
    2. Prime cluster grenade.
    3. Teleport to said PG being grinded by skulks.
    4. Release pin and throw at floor.
    5. Profit $$$$
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    RapGod wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »

Say that to ns1!
    ah the good old days of ns 1.03 :D

So if I see some aliens near a PG ripping apart marines -> alright guys 5 grenades through the gate please. Random damage suddenly appearing out of nowhere seems fair right... Yes, indeed...

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    that wormhole lore is just a story we tell to youngster marines.
    In truth your original self is send to hell for eternal damnation and a dumbed down copy appears on the other side.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    CCTEE wrote: »
    that wormhole lore is just a story we tell to youngster marines.
    In truth your original self is send to hell for eternal damnation and a dumbed down copy appears on the other side.
    Ironically, in hell you still fight the kharra. You just can't win though.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Zavaro wrote: »
    I do miss the telefragging of NS1 phase gates.

also: IP telefrags and dying to siege cannons
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Tsss @Kouji_San, 1.04 ALSO had that.
    Good good fun that was. Onos PGs.
    Gorge nests.
    Sieges with splash damage...

aah but I digress.
    edited December 2014
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As if the GL wasn't OP already lol
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Tsss @Kouji_San, 1.04 ALSO had that.
    Good good fun that was. Onos PGs.
    Gorge nests.
    Sieges with splash damage...

aah but I digress.
    extreme speed vent jetpacks :P

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I still think you should have to press [use] on the phase gate.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    I still think you should have to press [use] on the phase gate.

I always thought this would be a good mechanic for gorge tunnels, too.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    Definitely should be a use option! Can't tell you how many times I've become frustrated trying to enter a tunnel to fend off an attack when my lifeforms looks like a turd spinning down a toilet or my marine double phases to somewhere I don't want to be!
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    Yes, @Tane‌ ?
    That feature was only in NS 1.0-1.04. That is only about 6 months of NS1 9 years lifespan. Be more exact with your information, because false information do have missleading affect.
    edited December 2014
    Tane wrote: »
    Yes, @Tane‌ ?
    That feature was only in NS 1.0-1.04. That is only about 6 months of NS1 9 years lifespan. Be more exact with your information, because false information do have missleading affect.

Lol you're very anal over a joke referring to ns1 and on topic. Get the stick outta your... butt.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    Yeah, because when someone disagree with you in internet and kindly explain why that person is a dick. Merry xmas and happy new year to you as well.