Which is your favourite ns2 map to play on?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited December 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Which one would you choose and why?

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    In celebration in being able to create polls now I thought I'd start with "Which is your favourite map to play on?" Casually and competitively mine would be summit, just the general layout of the map with a center tech point screamed win win for me, plus all the nice eye candy you get in crevice!

*Couldn't do an 11th option on custom maps so just stuck with the official maps for the meantime*
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited December 2014
    Because I get no chance to play on it, I enjoy even better when I find a server with Eclipse being played.

Otherwise, it'd be Descent.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Because I get no chance to play on it, I enjoy even better when I find a server with Eclipse being played.

Otherwise, it'd be Descent.

Eclipse kills servers.

I'm well aware of how "imbalanced" mineshaft is though, but on pubs it hardly matters and it's a lot more fun for me than endless tram+veil.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Descent is a very pretty map but for some reason I get THE worse fps drops on that map compared to the others no clue why! Even biodome performs better for me!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Because I think maps in asymmetric games should be asymmetrical.

I like eclipse as well, it's not nearly as bad as people cry about imo.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Scales really well with different player counts
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »

That would actually be bilateral symmetry, at least for the most part. The more radial symmetry maps aren't even that perfectly symmetrical.

OP, did you know about ns2stats.com. It shows how often maps are played for a number of servers. A decent indicator of community favorites.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I find the lack of Rockdown appalling [-(

ingame and inpoll
    edited December 2014
    Nordic wrote: »

That would actually be bilateral symmetry.

OP, did you know about ns2stats.com. It shows how often maps are played for a number of servers. A decent indicator of community favorites.

Oh yes I did my cute furry friend but looking at pie charts and numbers wouldn't be anywhere near interesting as generating discussion on here.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I find the lack of Rockdown appalling [-(

ingame and inpoll

Feel free to expand the poll limit to more than 10 fella ;-)

Since the stats site doesn't order maps by most played, I'll do it:

Tram 611
    Summit 595
    Veil 593
    Docking 425
    Biodome 363
    Mineshaft 274
    Refinery 265
    Descent 235
    Eclipse 186
    Jambi 109
    Kodiak 84

I wasn't going to include any of the modmaps, but it's worth showing that one of them is actually played more than kodiak.

Also, keep in mind most servers with mapvote enforce a short rotation, while you can extend a map you usually can't pick the same two maps indefinitely, which could explain why veil summit and tram are all nearly tied.
    sotanaht wrote: »

Tram 611
    Summit 595
    Veil 593
    Docking 425
    Biodome 363
    Mineshaft 274
    Refinery 265
    Descent 235
    Eclipse 186
    Jambi 109
    Kodiak 84

I wasn't going to include any of the modmaps, but it's worth showing that one of them is actually played more than kodiak.

Also, keep in mind most servers with mapvote enforce a short rotation, while you can extend a map you usually can't pick the same two maps indefinitely, which could explain why veil summit and tram are all nearly tied.

This is gonna make @Loki‌ feel like that fat kid at gym class all over again :(:cold_sweat:
    edited December 2014
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    sotanaht wrote: »

Tram 611
    Summit 595
    Veil 593
    Docking 425
    Biodome 363
    Mineshaft 274
    Refinery 265
    Descent 235
    Eclipse 186
    Jambi 109
    Kodiak 84

This is gonna make @Loki‌ feel like that fat kid at gym class all over again :(:cold_sweat:

For what it's worth, Kodiak is actually my second-favorite of the maps added after release.
    Haha same, upper rapid rushes are second to none! :smiley:
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I love summit and tram for competitive, but veil is always my favorite map to play on because of how long rotations take allowing you to do some heavy backdoor damage
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm still waiting for a real explanation of why eclipse and kodiak are "terrible and unbalanced" (this is the only explanation I ever get),

As far as I can tell, they just require more aggression than other maps.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Benson wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for a real explanation of why eclipse and kodiak are "terrible and unbalanced" (this is the only explanation I ever get),

Really?
    edited December 2014
    True, I think people knock em because they still haven't learnt the map and understood the "chokepoints".

I find this problem very true with custom maps, some customs are not very good while some others have the potential to be very very good but because people don't know where they are going half the time, they just run around confused which causes frustration if you lose a techpoint and ultimately the round because of it.

People like the official maps because they have played it over and over and over again which gives them knowledge of map layout.

Now heres an experiment, if we had Tram and Summit replaced with Kodiak and Eclipse right at the very beginning would people still make the same accusations?
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    True, I think people knock em because they still haven't learnt the map and understood the "chokepoints".

I find this problem very true with custom maps, some customs are not very good while some others have the potential to be very very good but because people don't know where they are going half the time, they just run around confused which causes frustration if you lose a techpoint and ultimately the round because of it.

You're definitely right about Kodiak. Eclipse remains unbalanced, no matter how hard you practice on it, if you're lucky enough to play some games on it of course.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    voted for kodiak because obvious answer is obvious :D
    Loki wrote: »
    voted for kodiak because obvious answer is obvious :D

No one would have guessed. :p
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Benson wrote: »

For Eclipse:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135054/ns2-eclipse-8-months-later/

Kodiak's primary problem seems to be the performance drops people with lower-end machines get when they go there. That turned off enough people to not want to figure the map out.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I am a bad person.

I had a hard time choosing between Biodome and Refinery, but the more I play Refinery the more I enjoy it. Just lerkin' about.

Also, on the topic of Eclipse, I think marines really suffer in the fact that their resources are much too far away to even be considered natural.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    TBH its a shame I could not vote for derelict !
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited December 2014
    Because of the unique flow of combat and special points of interests.

This equates to a lot of fun and cool strategies.
    Loki wrote: »
    TBH its a shame I could not vote for derelict !

I would have voted for custom maps.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Because it has multiple starting locations for both teams (variety) and does not revolve around a binary and repetitive play (nanogrid) and isn't symmetrical (summit), contains fun geometry to combat around (repair room columns) has great consistent FPS and is not only thematically appropriate but visually contrasts well for either team without being too visually distracting (eclipse).. Oh and it is the original map, besides the test map "rock down" ;)
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I voted for Descent because in my experiences it's pretty rare for it to come up and games there always seem fun and balanced. I would have voted for Caged if it was on the list though, man I love that map.

Should do a poll for the most hated map also.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    yeah i voted Descent since i played it maby 3 times in 6 months and i play ns2 more or less EVERY DAY wish it was voted more often
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I voted for Descent because in my experiences it's pretty rare for it to come up and games there always seem fun and balanced. I would have voted for Caged if it was on the list though, man I love that map.

Should do a poll for the most hated map also.
    Stay positive man. Such polls won't bring anything but a negatively geared discussion.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Because I dislike veil, summit, and descent. I would have voted for Kodak and Jambi too.