Please, help me help you fix bugs, developers

BooleanBoolean ? Join Date: 2014-12-06 Member: 199982Members
I'm playing on the Linux version of the game. I am plagued by crashes, and an odd bug that every once in a while sticks my microphone on for no reason and makes it so that whenever I press the enter key it toggles windowed mode.

I love this game. It's torn me from my baby, TF2, with such might I haven't played TF2 in nearly a month in favor of this game. But unless these crashes get fixed, I can't enjoy the game. When it takes 10 minutes to load the enormous maps from my rather slowly reading slave drive, and I crash 5 minutes into the game, it isn't worth playing. Please, tell me what I can do to take logs of these bugs. The crashes are sporadic, but commonly linked to me entering an exosuit.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Attach gdb to ns2 when you start it and get us the backtrace in case it crashes ;)

Lately it was uncovered that certain animations in-game cause the linux client to crash. Maybe that's also the case when entering into the exo.

Otherwise the main cause of the loading time issue at linux is kinda known but due to the amount of work it would require to fix it i don't see it happening any time soon unless someone is really passioned about fixing it.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Boolean wrote: »
    an odd bug that every once in a while sticks my microphone on for no reason and makes it so that whenever I press the enter key it toggles windowed mode.

Not too odd.
    Default microphone activation key is Alt in NS2. Window/Fullscreen mode transition is done by Alt+Enter combination in most of desktop environments.

So, try to find, what messes with the alt key. (start with rebinding NS2 voice-chat to another key to confirm this theory)

(btw, u have Linux. You can do some fairly simple scripting to intercept and disable any unwanted key combination before it gets to NS2)

About crashes:
    Set particle quality to minimum.
    Do you use shotgun?
    If it crashes when firing a shotgun, then don't use it until the next update.