Loading Screen

testoasa11testoasa11 România Join Date: 2014-12-09 Member: 200007Members
Can you do something with the loading screen ?
It takes to much to start a game every game...like 5-10 mins.
I just bought this game 3 days ago and we have this crap.
I would enjoy more this game if you fix this crap !

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Can you post your specs please
  • testoasa11testoasa11 România Join Date: 2014-12-09 Member: 200007Members
    Here it is !
    And my video cars is Sapphire Radeon R7 250X 1GB DDR5 128-bit.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Your specs aren't that bad, but you will probably want to turn your graphics options down to improve late game performance. To decrease loading times it is suggested that you get an SSD as they drastically decrease load times.
    Are you kidding me ? A SSD ?
    For example Call of Duty Advance Warfare is loading on my PC in 5-10 secons on High...
    I think UnknownWorlds can work to optimize this.
    Are you kidding me ? A SSD ?
    For example Call of Duty Advance Warfare is loading on my PC in 5-10 secons on High...
    I think UnknownWorlds can work to optimize this.
    edited December 2014
    Yes, a SSD. Your load times will go from 5 minutes down to around 20-30 seconds. NS2 is built on a custom engine made by a small company, with it being the first game made on the engine. CoD is made by a AAA company with lots of money, resources, and optimizations over many years.
    The community development team is working on optimizing the game.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You could try defragmenting your had. Maybe your AV is interfering.
    Other known causes of slow load times are anti virus. You can also try closing any background programs when running ns2 as well.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    SSDs are expensive, for the average romanian.
    How did you know im from Romania ?
    And yes ! SSD are to expsive for me.
    testoasa11 wrote: »
    How did you know im from Romania ?
    And yes ! SSD are to expsive for me.

It says so under your name ;)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    You could buy another harddrive and stick it in RAID 0 :) or you can buy 4 ssd's then put them in RAID 0 :):) or you can buy 4 sdd's put them in RAID 0 then create RAMDISK and hardlink your NS2 cache files then put your RAMDISK on your 4 ssd raid 0 :smiley:

I was bored one day :blush:
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It does honestly sound like an issue if it is _truly_ taking you 10 minutes to load a map every time..

Download Defraggler (its free) and check the fragmentation levels of your HD
    Ensure *Temporarily and just for testing load times* that you have no Anti virus or anti malware active
    Close all background programs (if you need help with how to do this let us know)
    Actually time with a stop watch your loading times after you reset your PC and report back here.
    edited December 2014
    It takes now 5 minutes EVERY GAME.
    It's still annoyng...please don't tell me "You need a SSD for a good loading".
    This is pisses me off !
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Please run techsupport.exe in your NS2 dir, and post it up in this thread.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Just digged this all thread up which might be useful: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135437/ns2-loading-time-is-still-pretty-long-even-after-268

Also try to set the resource loading in the options as low as possible ;)
    edited December 2014
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Wow your hdd really is pretty slow, did you already tried to defrag it? Otherwise in your case i guess only a new modern HDD (yours has only 8MB Cache o.O) will help :)
    Yeah, buy a new Harddrive for 1 game when bigger and better games load much faster on my current harddrive, no thanks :)
    edited December 2014
    testoasa11 wrote: »
    Yeah, buy a new Harddrive for 1 game when bigger and better games load much faster on my current harddrive, no thanks :)

In your case size doesn't matter but the amount of single files that need to be loaded from the HDD, we are talking about around 14k files for ns2. Now your drive has a avg seek time of 9ms. => Your hdd is alone 126 secs busy searching for the needed files ... .

So you may ask now why does ns2 take so long compared to AAA-titles: Easy answer, AAA-games do pack their files into file archives so the hdd "wastes" much less time searching.

Just try the tips i gave in my first post, there is nothing else which could help you beside getting a faster HDD ( Those are not that expensive and i'm surprised someone can survive with 256 GB only these days ).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You keep avoiding what has been asked and suggested : have you tried checking the fragmentation of your slow drive?
    I already defragamented and it takes 5 minutes for loading...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    Looking at the specs, it's a combination of the following:

1) Your CPU is a Pentium, which means it's L2 Cache is only 0.5MB per core. This is tiny, this class of Pentium CPU is not designed for heavy gaming as per Intel specs (It's not all about CPU Frequency).

2) Your HDD is the WDC WD2500JS-55MHB0 ATA Device. This is a 250GB Mechanical drive, which you have partitioned into 2 parts, a 60GB Partition, and a 181GB Partition.
    This is causing you significant slow downs, most likely due to the fact your HDD Header (needle) is having to scour the WIndows partition on 'C', as well as the Steam Library on your 'D' Parition at the same time, causing significant slow down.

You don't need an SSD (though it would help). You need an actual dedicated HDD for both your WIndows and 'Data' Partitions. Data was gleamed from:

Drive: C:
    Free Space: 3.5 GB
    Total Space: 56.9 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD2500JS-55MHB0 ATA Device

Drive: D:
    Free Space: 58.3 GB
    Total Space: 181.2 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD2500JS-55MHB0 ATA Device

My suggestion would be first buy another Harddrive, a modern one of about 1TB (they are cheap as hell right now). SSDs have also fallen in price, but that's your call. Your PC Setup is actually detrimental to most games.
    And if buy a SSHD ?
    My PC Setup is acctualy decent for me.
    I don't have any claims in games.
    Just to work on Medium graphics and that's fine for me.
    Apparently it's not if you made this thread ;)
    Changing how you partitioned your HD or the speed of your HD will not influence whether you can run it on high or medium settings - it only effects the reason why you made this thread, the speed of Loading.
    Okay I will save the link with this thread.
    I will be in touch when i gate the HDD