Question about ping in server list and in game

ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited December 2014 in Technical Support
Curious about how this updates and or works, could anyone chime in why i can tracert/ping most of all servers, get a low ping-time of 4ms but in-game it shows 14-20ms? is there anyway to get it to show the correct ping times?

Gets on my nerves at times when i sometimes look in the server list and i get 160ms, yet when i do a traceroute it'll be more akin to 130-140? isn't that a bit weird, yet my connection is stable, no loss or choke, client has decent fps and network settings. Actually the lowest ping on Australian servers by far, could you also put up the no compensation cap from 10ms to 15ms or so? i've noticed i get a few issues when my network is spiking down to 6ms - 15ms all the time that it drops in and out it's very sporadic. Cheers!

^this problem mainly stems due to the way it's handling the actual ping-time, it should be 4-5ms yet, it spikes from <10ms > 15ms it's quite annoying.

Also would love to see perfmon add in your own clients ping.

Thanks!

Tracing route to 119.252.191.*** over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms mas2-l101.bng.optusnet.com.au [1.43.0.1]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 3 ms 3 ms 2 ms 59.154.142.46
5 3 ms 5 ms 5 ms 202.139.16.58
6 4 ms 4 ms 3 ms bundle-100.cor03.syd03.nsw.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.192.44]
7 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms ten-2-1-0.bdr03.syd03.nsw.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.192.43]
8 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms as56106.cust.bdr03.syd03.nsw.VOCUS.net.au [175.45.107.50]
9 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms 119.252.191.***

Trace complete.

^ingame 15ms, serverbrowser 20+ms

Comments

• METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It seems that NS2 shows Latency, not a Ping.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    In regards to cmd prompt, a Ping and Latency are one in the same, they both wait for the return trip.
    Only thing I could consider that's different is your router, and any additional handling it's doing (QOL, port forward instructions, sniffing etc) with a game using large packets of data versus a simple ping with 32 bytes.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    In regards to cmd prompt, a Ping and Latency are one in the same
    The ingame Latency takes into account ping times + server's processing time, so it will always be higher then just Ping, am I right?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited December 2014
    Yes exactly, the ingame ping will always be higher than the normal ping due to the time it takes for the server to process the ping request.

That why the difference between the cmd ping and the ingame ping can become quite large on an overloaded server.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    The main reason ping behaves this way in-game is that what really is measured is not classically ping via tcp packets but the average delta time of the timestamps of incoming udp packets.

Meaning what is shown to you in-game is your real current latency to the server. What is shown to you via the ping command in the cmd is the theoretically physically latency between you and the server.

Therefor the "in-game ping" differs from the ping you measure via tcp packets and is expected to be higher ;)
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Okay, just making sure. Just wondering why it takes 15ms or even 20ms in some cases for the actual game? even though on my client it's only taking around 4-6ms globally? Actually even on server-side scatterverse 4.8ghz with a decent spec server same issues.

Regardless of server or list, same issue so it's not server specific, nor is my hardware/modems, thanks!
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    No UWE Offical server in Asia any more , now i allways have to play with above 200 + ping

Request Developers open South East Asia server , for more players base ( Thailand Hongkong maybe?)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Meaning what is shown to you in-game is your real current latency to the server.
    I remember Max telling me this at some point in the past when I asked the same question. :)
    Much better explanation than my own reply as well, thanks for the details.
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »
    No UWE Offical server in Asia any more , now i allways have to play with above 200 + ping

Request Developers open South East Asia server , for more players base ( Thailand Hongkong maybe?)

This is the wrong place to request such a thing.