Adding new weapons while not actually Adding new weapons.

ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
The title is confusing, Ill admit.
But this thread is really just that. Adding new weapons, But not ACTUALLY adding new weapons.

The idea is that this would be a new method of customizing our Soldiers without changing Camos and colors.
We would simply change the entire weapon and make it Look, sound, shoot and act differently but maintain the Same function as a Standard vanilla NS2 weapon.

For example,
changing Exo Powerfists to Wield a Sword or Bat. Its the Same damage and Function as Punching a Gorge in the face with a regular Powerfist, But it just looks a bit more awesome. Turn the Flamethrower into a Tesla cannon. Same idea, Just fires Blue Bolts of energy.
Or make the Assault rifle Be something of a Laser pulse rifle. Just with a Different reload animation, Appearance, and Projectiles.

Essentially it would be Similar to the system in Lost planet Two.

I know about Mods and Such changing the Skin and Appearance of weapons, But that isn't the same as making a Completely different weapon.
Anyone have thoughts about this?

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Fun fact: the smg in Combat was going to be for NS2, but the consistency checking screwed him so badly he just had to give up (and I don't blame him). Making new sounds and animations with the strict workshop is really really hard :(

Its always a cool idea however! We just might have to make do with gun cameos and decals sadly.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    im sure the cdt could create a custom wep option in the customise menu to swap weapon models like they have with other stuff already.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Weapon costumization ... yes! But NO swords. For me Mecha's with swords looks like the most idiotic, senseless thing. Like in those japanese cartoons. Make it a drill, a chainsaw, but not a sword.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2014
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Weapon costumization ... yes! But NO swords. For me Mecha's with swords looks like the most idiotic, senseless thing. Like in those japanese cartoons. Make it a drill, a chainsaw, but not a sword.
    but how about a flaming chain sword!!!

--that spins...
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    not a bad idea. but if someone is willing to make genuine new models + animations + sounds, i'd prefer it to end up as genuine new content. ofc it rises some balance issues (which settle over time), but i think ns2 would benefit from more playstyle diversity and i think it keeps more people interested in the game in a long run.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    not a bad idea. but if someone is willing to make genuine new models + animations + sounds, i'd prefer it to end up as genuine new content. ofc it rises some balance issues (which settle over time), but i think ns2 would benefit from more playstyle diversity and i think it keeps more people interested in the game in a long run.

So something as DLC or unlockable content with experience?
    I understand having new stuff to change play styles and keep things interesting,
    But I somehow feel that adding new weapons Wouldn't change play styles too much.
    It sort of reminds me of COD in a way.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    I would like to change NS2 LMG for the original one.
    Like the model idea.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    DLC anyone?

New weapon fx/skins/models would be pretty cool.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @OP
    First of all the rifle texture (for example) is one file for standard AND Kodiak. This brings a lot of constraints.

It's not only 'you can' or 'cannot'. It's there's no room for that right now. Maybe someday.