ns2_forge

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
edited February 2015 in Mapping
ns2_forge is a large 4 tech map designed for 20+ population servers. the map was built using a combination of UWE and Custom assets. The map itself has a unique layout.

32880937E996299E04F0E9DA5A22C8EA4120286C

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I like discovering many and many new maps but, don't get me wrong, wouldn't be more interesting and worth it to complete ns2_hydra first? This map looks fine and cool though but yes, I don't really know. People should focus on their main map before releasing another one. Keep the work up though!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    Pelargir wrote: »
    I like discovering many and many new maps but, don't get me wrong, wouldn't be more interesting and worth it to complete ns2_hydra first? This map looks fine and cool though but yes, I don't really know. People should focus on their main map before releasing another one. Keep the work up though!

i plan to update hydra with some large changes, for the time being though im just gathering ideas for what i want to change
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What a unique layout, look forward to playing this, any servers planning to host this?
    edited November 2014
    it is on wooza's playground and thirsty onos
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Pelargir wrote: »

i plan to update hydra with some large changes, for the time being though im just gathering ideas for what i want to change

Seems legit. I like the layout though.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Having trouble running this, says map not found. Anyone else have trouble ?
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Scatter‌ Are you getting "file not found" when connecting to a server running this map? If so it's the infamous workshop problem that can cause custom maps to break the server.
    edited November 2014
    if you are trying to run the map yuorself after installing the mod you need to enable the mod first in order to run it, go to mods on your title screen then tick the box in the activate column. This has to be done for all custom maps if you want to load them up yourself for a quick run around.
    edited November 2014
    changelog 001

. moved room location names about to make it abit clearer what room is what.
    . added location names to north and south tunnel
    . added vent in radimax
    . improved performance in transit and overwatch
    . fixed possible powernode glitch in cargo
    . improved pathing in certain areas like dispatch
    . forge has a ramshackle shelter covering 1 of its res points.
    . removed some props from forge ceiling to prevent easy bile bomb
    . added some props to tunnels.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    *Need ladders added in Crusher as when you fall down the sides of that toxic waste stuff you can't climb back out and death trigger doesn't work :)
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    *Need ladders added in Crusher as when you fall down the sides of that toxic waste stuff you can't climb back out and death trigger doesn't work :)

i forgot about, that thanks for reminding me jimbo
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I do find it odd, the map is basically a mish-mash of Tram, Refinery and other maps, including some in-development bits and pieces.

Not sure what I think of it yet, but I have a feeling the tram-way that goes in the air right through the map will be difficult to balance end-game.
    edited November 2014
    i dont think the map will ever be perfectly balanced, but it is fun to play on. The map is made from bits of old ns2 maps and new rooms i made myself. I remember all the maps that the bits come from, they were all available to the public at some point and i probably have them all on various old harddrives. But its basically, tram rr, refinery rr, my own work, old tram and a tiny bit of corridor from the old shooting range map ns2_dm1 no unreleased or secret content features in the map that i know of. If someone decided to take content from those old public maps to make something new then that isnt exactly my fault.

the map seems to play better the more players you throw into it which was my goal. I just want the community to have more maps to play on.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Map was interesting to play on. It played pretty well it seemed it the game I had. The key feature of this map was that that tram tunnel through forge. It made it easy for marine and aliens to get there quickly making the double res node forge really hard to hold. It kept being traded between teams like every 2 minutes. Aliens have plenty hiding there but it is still a large room helping marines a bit.

You seem to be pulling together a bunch of pieces together of various maps to make maps. This makes maps come out quickly, but do you plan on making each room your own work over time. LIke using prebuilt rooms to grey box.
    edited November 2014
    well the rooms will change as the map improves but only if a room has an issue. Obviously some rooms are not finished and im in the process of finishing them but unless there is a gameplay issue then a room isnt likely to change. Flow control however may get changed since it is really the only recognizable room apart from the ready rooms that the map uses. Majority of the rooms are not in current release maps anymore.

This will be the last map using bits of old uwe content. Im still unsure on what i will do next but it will either be an ns1 remake or a new map
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    They seem to be pretty decent maps and had some time put into could make great maps. That is why I ask.
    changelog 002

.cargo is no longer a tech point
    .repair is now a tech point
    .cargo is now a res point
    .overwatch is no longer a res point
    .finished room between crusher and waste disposal
    .overview minimap improvements
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    some say Tramfinery, others ReTramery :D
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    Seemed to work much better with repair as a techpoint; however as people said last night the hive location needed a bit of cover as it's a large room.
    I might head on over to one of the large servers to see how it plays in actio; 6v6 map tests just make stuff like sneaky gorge tunnels and PGs a pain in the ass on a mammoth map like this :P

Also it's clearly Retramery
    edited January 2015
    Nice teamplay going last night, spots near Operations allow for nice sneaky gorge tunnels, unless your name is @BeigeAlert‌ :smiley:
    edited January 2015
    0F8061C16FA9C1C21C4207D4A557D419E4C71CB9

changelog 003

. window in operations is no longer smashed preventing access
    . large tunnel vents are no longer open, for game balance reasons they are sealed.
    . vent added from cargo to forge.
    . slime/water in both crusher and waste disposal now does damage over time instead of instant death.
    . west route has been widened slightly.

my plan for the map is to do the following.

. turn forge into either a 5th tech point or a single res node.
    . redo the vent from dispatch to repair.
    . remove access to under rails of some areas like repair and transit.
    . increase the size of operations
    . widen west route and maintenance even more
    . make maintenance useful in someway aside from a good sneaky pg/ tunnel spot
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @deathshroud‌ Too bad you had to close the tram tunnel but I can see how it was hard to balance the map with it open. And also the medpack issue seemed difficult to fix. Looking forward to try the new version as soon as 273 is released.
    Too bad the vent had to go. Ns2 map design is tough; it doesn't allow cool new things like an awesome giant vent.
    edited January 2015
    yea huge vents that can fit an entire team through including onoses dont seem to play well for some reason :D
    B7057A7775F791E7159DF61866DB52D9FC34703B

changelog 004

. ns2_forge is now a 5 tech map
    . forge room is no longer a double res
    . forge room is now a tech point
    . operations has been made larger
    . vent from dispatch to repair removed and a new better vent added
    . players can no longer get underneath the rails of repair.

whats left to do

. finish off bypass detailing
    . finish off radimax detailing
    . more work in flow control to make it more unique looking
    . either make maint/overwatch useful or possibly consider removing them
  • WoehlerWoehler Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188684Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've now played this map a couple of times in different stages. And the latest version seems to be too alien friendly.
    My main concern is in regard to the vents, rooms and hallways surrounding Repair. (Not sure if there is fast spawn. But have only seen marines spawn in Repair)
    In short. There is a lot of ways to get there!
    1. West Route.
    2. Dispatch Vent.
    3. From Cargo.
    4. Tram Tunnel.
    5. Maintenance.

Usually there is only 2 ways of getting in to a TP. Unless it's in the middle(Such as on Summit, Descent and Biodome). And all the other TP have only 2 ways of coming in or out.
    Personally I would like to see the upper left of the map redone. It just seems too broken. Also the vent from Forge to Cargo is not helping. Though I appreciate that you can sprint as a marine inside of it.

I've added a picture with the main changes I would like to see implemented. (Red meaning closed of areas. Green being areas to be moved and new hallways to connect them)
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited February 2015
    So, little feedback.

A.I. : impossible to drop pve, upgrades, myst, drifters next to the RT.
    All around the map you have commander view issues, mainly stuff that should be invisible so that the comm can see better. I had this issue in Forge next to the RT and in Operations.
    One other issue is that Transit is way too isolated. No connection with the middle of the map, so no way for marines, or aliens to pressure that location avoiding ennemies.

As aliens, we started in AI, locked down Operations with a tunnel, and no marines was able to even get to Transit. So free RT. That may seem nice, but a free RT is not what you want in NS2, ever. So I'd suggest working on the connectivity to that part of the map.

As alien comm, I didn't get to see much more than this (played during the SCC playtest session).

Overall thought about Forge, seems way too dangerous for marines, usually the center of the map allows one or the other side to get great map control. But Forge's layout seems very alien friendly, mostly due to the fact that most of the room has death lava triggers.

I'll try and play this more in the future to give more accurate feedback, but here's what I thought after having played one round on it. as khamm
    thanks for feedback, i agree with whats being said, i will modify the map quite heavily for the next release by shuffling the rooms around abit and improving what i can based on the map woehler just posted
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    I wrote my feedback there because I heard you try to ask questions when I said stuff about the map, but people were just talking over us :D
    I didn't know if you got all of it. I could have taken screenshots but you see what I mean.

Keep on the good work !