Booster Z-Frame

Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT DeputyThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited January 2017 in Off-Topic
So I've been working on something, keep an eye on it if you're interested on Steamgreenlight/GooglePlay/AppleStore etc... :) The following video is technically an alpha techdemo

15860615112_32777285b7_o.png

Booster Z-Frame is a Single player Top-Down Hyperspace jumping Space Shooter with a Randomly Generated Adventure

You will be piloting a modular ship, which you can adapt to your playstyle or to the environment using various artifacts, addons or upgrades you can obtain or buy in shops. Just trying to get back to your homeworld after your support frigate was destroyed.

Following each Hyperspace jump, you'll have to explore the space around you to gather resources. There will be many dangers out there in the forms of black holes, pulsars, stars, nebulas and of course the fleet that's chasing you. The good thing is, your space fighter is quite capable to defending itself and even take the fight to the enemy. However, always keep in mind, you're just one ship out there in a world that is mostly out to destroy you, with a few neutral or friendly exceptions...

Full Game Description on the website

Latest Playable Alpha for fun and feedback purposes
Link to the game
- public Alpha Build 54 (2015-Jan-08)

15748911422_eb2d9ca943_q.jpg 15747373245_8987af2d3d_q.jpg 15723670916_6a9f1d58ea_q.jpg 15579574148_9c6fe0fbe0_q.jpg 15764992595_86a0a2266a_q.jpg

320x180.resizedimage320x180.resizedimage
320x180.resizedimage6AE8E732F54C24462D465D00F5B25F8292652061

Alpha Build 51
-Black Holes (up to 3)
-Green and green Nebula (twice the fun)
- Planets and Stars
-Four types of roaming ships
-Rocks right now the only source for your crystals and metal
-Working shields and damage, however your ship can't be destroyed right now.
-Simple save/load slots and select ship screen
----You can select from three ship types, temporarily using the save/load screen for now.
-Hyper Space jump works (you need 5 crystals), placeholder effect
-Pause function

----

Known issues:
-Bullets can behave oddly after a load
-Some light sources are a bit whacky after a load
-Lack of menu, working on it!
-Some areas areas a bit empty, spawning only rocks, more content coming
-Sometimes a rock will spawn 5 crystals, no idea why but I'm working on it...

Older build "Alpha 38" techdemo video:

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Looks FANTASTICK!
    When can we expect a playable alpha/beta?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2014
    Soon™ :P

I'm probably releasing the blackhole+rocks and alien fleet stresstests quite soon actually. The game is close to being feature complete to some extent. I'll probably keep adding random encounters content, already through means of sudden hyperspace signatures opening up into your area, spawning very powerful ships coming to defend the area you are attacking or the ones that are hunting you, the ones that destroyed your support frigate. Distress beacons (traps or valid ones :P) and so on...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2014
    Added a nebula (2 random types), with added FX for blackholes spawning in there, looks pretty pretty. And nebulas also have a negative impact on your visibility/shield regen as well as enemies having a shorter detection range. Oh and suns, blackholes like to gobble away at your shield capacity as well, seen in the first screenshot. I died there, the thing I do for showcasing... But hey it's randomly generated roguelike stuff, you're supposed to die... A lot :P
    15764992595_86a0a2266a.jpg 15579574148_9c6fe0fbe0.jpg

I'll probably add in some random lightning as well, more hazardous stuff to drain or damage you ship
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Drain power, perchance?!
    pls don't be more than 2 power drain, nebulae. Must escape rebels.
    MUST ESCAPE REBELS ooh quest.
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Drain power, perchance?!
    pls don't be more than 2 power drain, nebulae. Must escape rebels.
    MUST ESCAPE REBELS ooh quest.

Nebula's only affect recharge time and light output in terms of the shield and it also affects weapons. But all problems you face are shared by possible enemies which spawn.

Also stars and black holes will drain your shield, good thing the enemies don't have shields, they are more dependent on heavy armor. But the damage is of course of a more permanent nature because of this. Shields rule :P
    edited December 2014
    Totally radical starting screen, but hey at least it can save the stage now. probably going for a customisable save setting (10s-60s) or something...
    15831679862_d04da03359_o.gif
    15644694708_630d0db5bc_o.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Latest Playable Alpha for fun and feedback purposes
    Link to the game
    15748911422_eb2d9ca943_q.jpg 15747373245_8987af2d3d_q.jpg 15723670916_6a9f1d58ea_q.jpg 15579574148_9c6fe0fbe0_q.jpg 15764992595_86a0a2266a_q.jpg

Alpha Build 51
    -Black Holes (up to 3)
    -Green and green Nebula (twice the fun)
    - Planets and Stars
    -Four types of roaming ships
    -Rocks right now the only source for your crystals and metal
    -Working shields and damage, however your ship can't be destroyed right now.
    -Simple save/load slots and select ship screen
    ----You can select from three ship types, temporarily using the save/load screen for now.
    -Hyper Space jump works (you need 5 crystals), placeholder effect
    -Pause function

----

Known issues:
    -Bullets can behave oddly after a load
    -Some light sources are a bit whacky after a load
    -Lack of menu, working on it!
    -Some areas areas a bit empty, spawning only rocks, more content coming
    -Sometimes a rock will spawn 5 crystals, no idea why but I'm working on it...
    edited November 2014
    Controls aren't arrow keys or wasd.. how do i move around? O.o
    Figured out how to move.. and shoot, but how do i stop?! Controls are weird! D:
    edited November 2014
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Controls aren't arrow keys or wasd.. how do i move around? O.o
    Figured out how to move.. and shoot, but how do i stop?! Controls are weird! D:

Hehe, you just have to swipe in the opposite direction. Swiping is basically the direction you apply thrust in. And in space that is the way you move. Of and if you want to shoot, press and hold anywhere on the screen. Those are the only two things you need to know to move and shoot. The length of your swipe also has influence over the amount of thrust you apply.

This way you have to constantly manage movement/maneuvering vs shooting, thats kinda the idea behind it :D

However, I'm probably going to add other support as well so you can play with keys or gamepad
    edited November 2014
    Alpha 52!

With Alpha Build 51 being quite boring to play, I hope this new build with a better spawn system and some small things added is at least nicer to play. Have a look at the new alpha on this here link, this one always links to the latest Alpha!

Play the Alpha
    B3VoJ-JIgAAq6F1.jpg
    • The world spawns are much richer. Enemy ships, black holes and nebulas will spawn more often, nebulas are purely visual as of now apart from affecting your light output and bullet distance
    • Enemy ships will now spawn crystals
    • Crystal spawn bug fixed, no more up to five free crystals from one rock
    • The ship can now be destroyed with a placeholder effect, no more immortality
    • Black holes will eat your ship
    • Lights are back to the old way, it seems to work once more
    • Suns now have a bubbly effect
    • Startup scanner sweep now has correct information
    • Added an inventory, it doesn't work yet right now it's purely visual
    Bullethell stresstest
    edited December 2014
    Livestream developer interview tomorrow by Action Soup Studios, be sure to check it out if you're interested

This video player can be used as a countdown timer, pretty awesome :D

Also a bit of fooling around in the particle system
    edited December 2014
    Some graphical improvements and new parallax layered content, the closest layer visually will be home to interactive objects/planets/satellites etc...
    320x180.resizedimage320x180.resizedimage
    320x180.resizedimage6AE8E732F54C24462D465D00F5B25F8292652061
    edited December 2014
    A sneaky preview of Alpha 54 :p
    15453555114_6b254a9f03_o.png
    Accidentally broke this frigate and I'm not feeling sorry what so ever :P
    edited January 2015
    A FollowUp interview by Action Soup Studios tomorrow
    edited December 2016
    The making of two spaceships in a timelapse:

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    What's the timeframe on this being finished? I mean, 2 years and no Alpha 55 yet?

Pull thy finger out young Kouji :P
    edited January 2017
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    What's the timeframe on this being finished? I mean, 2 years and no Alpha 55 yet?

Pull thy finger out young Kouji :P

Had a lot of distractions last year, but I'm now (last few months) fully working on the game for release, it's already on Steam and working as of right now behind the scenes. Just need the final "early access" status so it is actually already a fully working game. Well actually... It's already a fully working game, but it just needs that extra bit of content and polish for public consumption so to speak :D Oh and that dreaded "store marketing stuff (layout artwork/trailer/images/tradingcards/information and so on :D )

So yeah, it's going to go into Early access Beta pretty soon ("early/mid" this month), with the first 10 world working:

Systems:
    • Ship repair, combat and damages systems
    • 12 working enemy ships, ranging from fighter, corvettes, frigates. And I've got the artwork for 9 more done (and also 1 boss (+ two replacement easteregg bosses), 2 minibosses and 2 random encounter ships with lot's more to come
    • Dust and scrap harvesting
    • 3 shiptypes, all with pros and cons versus various situations (2 more to be added)

Worlds:
    • Prelude (introduction)
    • 1-10 Randomly generated worlds (Nebulas, planetary systems, Black holes, Rock/Dustfields etc...)
    • 9/10/11 First boss encounter (escape battle, it's too powerful adding to the helplessness feeling early game)
    • 11 and beyond, more randomly generated worlds based on what can spawn at 1-10

Further development:
    • I've got the scripted event system in place and am working on the scripted events right now (that was a bastard to get in place, had to redesign some stuff for it to work :D ). This makes it so I can add continue to add more random encounters pretty quickly. So you're not just stuck with the randomly generated "generic" enemies of the enemy fleet :)
    • Crafting and trading system
    • Final battle
    • Story dialogue, which will already be partially implemented for worlds 1-11
    • Anything else I can come up with (pulsars, white/brown dwarfs hazards?)

I'm using Trello, so you can see a live presentation of what I'm working on and what's left to do:
    https://trello.com/b/6Xx2h3EX/booster-z-frame-exu-games

edited January 2017
    Hehe I really like the look of the comet, it has random chance enviromental colours, ranging from (pinkish, blueish, greenish, yellowish), I think I'll add some different resources based values as to what you can harvest from either colour - MORE RANDOMNESS:
    https://trello.com/c/JVDeg9QJ/23-added-a-comet-which-randomly-spawns

comet.jpg

The game is actually already very random with how the worlds are populated
    edited October 2017