O2 & Gas mixtures/different tank types.

MahdeusMahdeus United States Join Date: 2014-10-29 Member: 199196Members
A little feedback and an idea. The current setup shows the diver using O2. Pure O2 would kill a diver due to oxygen toxicity fairly quickly. I'd like to see the main gas reading changed to "AIR", if possible, as that is what recreational divers actually breathe.

It could be interesting though to add levels of tanks to craft. Start with AIR and then NITROX, move on to a helium mixture and then maybe a re-breather. All allowing the diver to stay deeper longer.

Just an idea though. Lovely game so far.

Comments

• CweordCweord Bath Join Date: 2014-10-27 Member: 199155Members
    I would add to this

Nitrogen turns in to a narcotic at approx 18m this could turn in to an interesting game mechanic - you need to source helium, or increase the oxygen to limit the effect (More things you need to source, to go deeper)

Add to this that the amount of oxygen in air turns toxic at approx 65m, hence when you add helium, to decrease the oxygen to go deeper - again another possible mechanic (if you want to go deeper you need to have the right kit, with health loss at depth if you don't have it - possibly your vision fading to black out which is what happens in the real word - but might make a nice game visual)

I know for game reasons you do not want to model decompression (and I don't blame you) but possibly pills you can make, to avoid decompression would be another addition you could put in - adds a nice game mechanic and gets past the real world issue at the same time.

I don't see any reason that you cannot put in sci-fi options to get round real world issues, that give the right explanations to divers (a lot of whom will be interested in this game) and add effective game mechanics that boost the game at the same time.
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    Agree with the above. Currently only the O2 consumption increase by depth regulates the max depth of dives. The player can quickly dive deeper than the Seamoth (hard limit 100m).

About decompression I feel the same - it'd probably be too much for the average player. But different mixtures for greater depths would be understandable.