Discoveries in the deep

trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
Essentially, I thought a thread where players can share their experiences exploring the world would be neat. What things have you found in the waters of Subnautica?

Currently, I think that I have seen most of what is to be seen, though I could of course be wrong. I have even made it all the way out to what would appear to be a coastline of sorts(clearly just a glitched jumble of towering rock surrounding the map).

So yeah, what have you seen? Have you found any sand sharks yet? Seen the mushroom forest? Or perhaps gone deep enough to witness the mysterious giant blue "things" that grow down there?

Comments

• RiktorRiktor United States Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199129Members
    Boomfish (I don't know their official name I'm sorry D:). Lots and lots of boomfish. I've seen a sandshark or two and I also found a pod (herd?) of Gasopods. I also found that a certain type of coral (purple-blue ball thing) releases bubbles that refill your air tank.
  • TipicTipic Colorado, US Join Date: 2014-10-28 Member: 199171Members
    I thought I had seen it all; the gasopods, the stalkers, the exploding fish, the weird rock formations with what look like mushrooms on the sides. I also discovered that if you bump a stalker with the seamoth, however lightly, it causes your seamoth to accelerate to around 50 meters per second without slowing down, which has caused me to launch high into the sky several times. One time however, it launched me straight down and glitched me through the ground, and I continued to descend far below the deepest depth I believe you can possibly reach at this point (without bugs). I continued until I had reached about seven thousand meters deep, and since I was running out of oxygen I decided to get out of the seamoth to see what it was like that deep down. There was no light apart from some glowing particles that floated around me. But there was a strange rumbling, and I quickly realized it was a growl. I heard it occasionally from all sides, and it sounded like it was getting closer. I also noticed slight waves of movement in the water. There was something down there. Something big and scary. I damn near shat myself with fear, but at the same time I was somewhat disappointed when I ran out of oxygen and died. I didn't see anything, and I highly doubt that anything more than the sound effects for this mysterious entity have been implemented, but it was a good reminder that the ocean can be scary, and there are terrifying things in the deep.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Riktor wrote: »
    Boom fish
    As far as I can see on trello those are called crash.
  • RiktorRiktor United States Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199129Members
    Sir_zino wrote: »
    Riktor wrote: »
    Boom fish
    As far as I can see on trello those are called crash.
    Ah, thank you. That was just my placeholder name for them until I found their actual name.
  • WakelaggerWakelagger Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170906Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I found a copper nugget that was surrounded by three of those crash things still in their pod. It was effectively booby trapped loot and I died trying to pick it up.
  • DohmanDohman Denmark Join Date: 2014-05-06 Member: 195839Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I found lots of gold, and 2 pieces of rutile.
    The only place I haven't been able to find yet, is the location with the gasopods.. Are they far from the lifeboat?
  • KlaimenKlaimen Caverns of Hope Join Date: 2014-10-31 Member: 199238Members
    edited November 2014
    I activated the experimental beta participation on Steam, and with the latest update the Seamoth got fixed (i.e. doesn't catapult you randomly miles away or into space). Now you can roam around freely and I found a huge island / continent on the opposite side of the Aurora. You have to travel about 2 minutes I'd say. I tried to climb the landmass, but the steep slopes make that impossible. Seems to be a huge thing planned, this complex seems to go on forever! The walls reach high out of the water, and continue more than 300m below the water surface. I wonder what this will be eventually - if anything at all :)
    Edit: Large image placements removed - thumbnails are enough :)
  • trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
    Sorry to say but that is obviously not planned. It would just appear to be a temporary barrier at the edge of the map.
  • weirdiolioweirdiolio In your basement Join Date: 2014-03-03 Member: 194510Members
    I managed to clip through to the other side of that wall using the seamoth... Not much to see there :/
  • trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
    yeah, I am pretty sure that they are just meant to be WIP barriers until the devs come up with a better way to wall off the map.

Now, that is not the topic of this thread, so let us get back on track.
  • BandersaurBandersaur Australia Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199120Members
    You can catch fish, and release them inside your little escape pod. Room full of bladderfish anyone?
  • CastleCastle New York Join Date: 2014-09-08 Member: 198307Members, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    trisdino wrote: »
    Sorry to say but that is obviously not planned. It would just appear to be a temporary barrier at the edge of the map.

This is correct. However we do have plans for above water areas in the future.