Just bought Subnautica...

Hippo0FaceHippo0Face Join Date: 2013-11-11 Member: 189296Members
The game looks awesome, i was really hooked on the flooding demo, so I just bought the special edition (earliest access) thing and now what?

I'm looking to get some basic questions answered,

Is there anything I need to know before I start playing (Prototype 8)

What are some of the things I should prioritize or focus on, (like are there one or several things that are really cool to do or need more testing)

I'm not expecting this game to be released anytime soon but by when do you think it will be available on steam

About how long does the plate take to get into my steam inventory (again no rush I just want to make sure that I filled out the page correctly)

What made you want to make a game like this (inspiration, motive etc.)

What is the ultimate end goal, both in game and for you as the developers what do you want to see it become

Thanks,

-H

Comments

• trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
    edited October 2014
    The prototypes should not be tested, they are outdated builds, which merely provide snapshots of the games development over time. Tomorrow, we will unlock the final, and current build, at which point you should begin bug testing.

I am sure the devs will provide a list of things they need checking once the current build goes live.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Hey Hippo, welcome.

The current in Earliest Access development build of Subnautica will be released and available to play over Steam, but not for purchase on the Steam store, on the 31st for most time zones. The hull plate should also show up in your steam inventory at that time, as well.

As Trisdino stated, the prototypes are just that. They don't necessarily have a lot of relationship to the current version of the game, they were test cases for lots of various game design directions, some of which we kept, some of which we did not.

Also, keep in mind that the current release build is a very stripped down version of what the game will eventually be, so things like sub flooding that was in that demo, not to mention the sub itself, are not yet in the game for the 31st. But all of that is definitely coming.

Flayra, the game designer, has always wanted to make an underwater game, and we finally were able to get the opportunity to create one. We felt that underwater exploration is still a relatively untapped genre, especially one with a sci fi approach, and at Unknown Worlds we like to try and push ourselves to create something new and unique.

The end goal of the game is still under discussion, so we aren't quite ready to share that yet. What we would like to see the game become is, well, of course, phenomenally popular so that we can all become millionaires :P Heh, mainly we just want to make the best game we can make, and really hope people enjoy playing it, and get their friends to play it, and that is really the best you can hope for as a developer.

• 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I just downloaded it a few minutes ago. I got it because of my experience with NS2.(black armor). So far I'm happy with what I see.
    I'm having issues with keyboard assignments. I've got wads but that's about it. Would you tell us what all of them are?
  • Schroedinger's SkulkSchroedinger's Skulk Join Date: 2012-09-01 Member: 157250Members
    edited October 2014
    you can find the assignments in the launch thingy.
    e - interaction/leave vehicle,
    tab - inventory,
    c - descend,
    space - jump/ascend,
    shift - sprint

since i'm already posting something, question:
    is the seamoth the only vehicle right now? (experimental steam version)
    edit: nevermind, should've read the whole post before asking