Recorded demos as benchmarks question

dubigrasudubigrasu Join Date: 2014-10-20 Member: 199043Members
edited October 2014 in Technical Support
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to use NS2 as a benchmark in some form of automated manner and basically what I need is to:
Start the game > play a prerecorded demo & record average FPS to a log file > exit the game, all this without my intervention except of course the initial command.
If you are familiar with Source engine it needs to be something equivalent to:
+con_logfile something.log +timedemoquit mydemo
Or for example Killing Floor (Unreal engine):
-exitafterdemo -exec=benchmark.txt
where benchmark.txt contains: demoplay mydemo?timedemo arguments.
So something along these lines.

I've been digging through http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Console_Commands and found the basics of what I need except the correct way to put them together in a single command line.

So far I have:
play mydemo = play the recorded demo
vt_start = starts the FPS profiler
vt_stop = stops the FPS profiler and displays the results (and saves them in the "log.txt")
quit/exit = quit the demo and exit to desktop

With this I end up with something like:
Date: 10/20/14
Time: 04:47:31:
Build 269
SteamOS x86_64
Steam initialized
Num displays: 1
OpenGL 3.1.0 NVIDIA 340.32 initialized (NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2)
GLSL version 1.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
ARB_texture_storage extension present
ARB_get_program_binary extension present
Sound Device: default stereo
Record Device: default
Profile Results
Num frames: 1459
Duration: 24.32s
Average FPS: 59.99 (16.7 ms per frame)
Client disconnected (127.0.0.1) Server shutdown
[115.204] MainThread : Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
CinematicsUpdate: exit
ClientGame::UpdateWorld: exit
CollectGarbage: exit
PredictWorld: exit
ServerUpdate: exit
SnapshotWriter: exit

I can later on use a template to extract the results to a graph for example.
So far so good, but I have no idea how to put them in a proper command line.
So if you have any idea, any hint to share please do.
It doesn't need to be like I described above or not even the same commands, all I need is some way to run a demo, run a FPS profiler, dump the results to a file and exit...whatever way.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    so far I know the option to feed it in command line does not exist but I never actually tried.
    I am however wondering why you want to benchmark in ns2 with a demo.

Demo's in ns2 never really worked that well. They are not really compatible in between versions last time I checked. And one of the point of benchmarking is using them in between versions so far I am aware.
  • dubigrasudubigrasu Join Date: 2014-10-20 Member: 199043Members
    so far I know the option to feed it in command line does not exist but I never actually tried.
    I am however wondering why you want to benchmark in ns2 with a demo.

Demo's in ns2 never really worked that well. They are not really compatible in between versions last time I checked. And one of the point of benchmarking is using them in between versions so far I am aware.

I'm looking to integrate more games in Phoronix Test Suite (for my personal use) and I need games with integrated benchmark (or record demo) features that can be automated and run in batches, see:

As far as I tested the demo worked good enough for my needs (except maybe not sure why it hangs when I try to exit/quit or disconnect) and the incompatibility between version doesn't affect me much.
    It happens also in other engines and I can record another demo when I need to, specifically at hardware/drivers/kernels/etc changes.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    try command line.
    If that does not work, custom mod perhaps? A custom mod which changes a few variables. Mods can be started by command line if I remember ok.

Private mods do no longer exist if I remembered ok so no uploading to workshop I guess.
  • dubigrasudubigrasu Join Date: 2014-10-20 Member: 199043Members
    Mods, Ok I'll take a look.
    Thanks