Tips for [linux]-boost in performance, hopefully

jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
edited October 2014 in Technical Support
I've been struggeling with my rig to handle this loveable beast called ns2, and last week i did something that really boosted my performance, at least at mapload on servers. I installed a lowlatency kernel for my distro (3.13.0-37-lowlatency) and i gotlike 50% higher fps in general. This is not as hard to install as any linux geek may already know. The onlyproblem i have now, is that on most servers, on the second mapload, the performance goes down to below 20 fps and since that is unplayable, i always restart ns2, if i want to play more. Seems like something is being cached or something,on the server or on the client. But my main message is:get a lowlatency kernel foryour linux. There are many coolthings with those, just google it. In a terminal type "uname -r" and you will see what kernel version you have.

I also did some testing with res_prelock and res_preload and setting them to off seem to make perfomance better between mapchange and also on first loading of map, preloading is much better(duh)....not much is documented on this new? variables. Default they are set to on, of course. The not very stable rendering ingame is making it hard to see differences,sometimesit feelslikeit isdifferent because of what day it is...

My hardware is pretty mediocre 4gig ram, 3.51 quad cpu, and radeon hd6850 (1GB ram) and i get from 120fps to 20 fps,above 40-50 most of the time and thatis bearable to me. Ideas? Input please?
Also i do not know where to put the console variables to save me from typing them in every session. Can i do that in system options.xml?

Comments

• rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Preloading is always preferable since you get less hitching in game. You may also try pf-kernel with many non-upstream patches applied.