NS2: Combat Release Date Announced! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNS2: Combat Release Date Announced! - Natural Selection 2

Prepare to be devoured. Combat is back. After a year of development, this one-time Natural Selection 2 mod is going standalone: On October 31. Eleven years ago, a mod called Natural...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread. Congratulations to the Faultline team, this is a really special day... From mod to Steam Store!!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    *does a sexy dance*
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Excellent news, look forward to trying it out - I will absolutely be supporting Faultline games in this, just as I've supported UWE over the years.

But... why oh why oh why oh why did you have to lead with the devour thing? Really???? Something that stirs up so many BAD emotions as the single worst thing ever to be put into an official NS release ever. It doesn't matter whether they've worked it out to be perfect and not waste any player's time like the awful original, to use this as the marketing strategy seems horribly flawed to me. Maybe they're counting on all the kiddies who will find devour fun for more than the first 2 times.

@FaultlineGames - will you be implementing a competitive combat mode of your game? Would LOVE to see that!!

Good luck with the release, I will see you in the servers.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Excellent news, look forward to trying it out - I will absolutely be supporting Faultline games in this, just as I've supported UWE over the years.

But... why oh why oh why oh why did you have to lead with the devour thing? Really???? Something that stirs up so many BAD emotions as the single worst thing ever to be put into an official NS release ever. It doesn't matter whether they've worked it out to be perfect and not waste any player's time like the awful original, to use this as the marketing strategy seems horribly flawed to me. Maybe they're counting on all the kiddies who will find devour fun for more than the first 2 times.

@FaultlineGames - will you be implementing a competitive combat mode of your game? Would LOVE to see that!!

Thanks for the support!

Combat will include ranked games by default. You'll be matched up against players equal to your skill based on the previous games you've played and how you've performed. We're going to push it even further, so we're not stopping there.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    acid_rain wrote: »

Thanks for the support!

Combat will include ranked games by default. You'll be matched up against players equal to your skill based on the previous games you've played and how you've performed. We're going to push it even further, so we're not stopping there.

@acid_rain, good to hear. Will you be making a gamemode without onos/grenades/FT/exo etc comparable to the combat mod competitive mode? That was by far and away the best combat mod mode in NS2, would love to see it as an option in standalone, too :)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    acid_rain wrote: »

Thanks for the support!

@acid_rain, good to hear. Will you be making a gamemode without onos/grenades/FT/exo etc comparable to the combat mod competitive mode? That was by far and away the best combat mod mode in NS2, would love to see it as an option in standalone, too :)

If it doesn't, it wouldn't be hard to mod it in. Combat is just as moddable as NS2 is. :)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any idea on the price yet or is that still under discussion? Anyhow, looking forward to it!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2014
    Congrats to the guys at faultline!

Also
    MINIMUM:

=D>

Also, steam achievements? I know not everyone's into those, but personally I sometimes enjoy the incentive!
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    OOOO! combat is the main thing i play on normal NS2 anyway but this seems awesome.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    was never a fan of combat, but im still buying this cause it looks like all my issues with it are either solved or replaced with a desire to try the new marine gubbins
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited October 2014
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2014
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Lack of Whips on walls in the post, @Hugh.
    Disappointment.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Wow cannot even buy it, great post...
    UWE - we havent posted in over a month what should we write? idk lets advertise another game that is not even released in 2 weeks and 6 days from now. OH Yeah, that should do the trick!
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    The game features an in-built ranking system that automatically grades everyone’s skill over time, and then drops you into servers with similarly skilled players.

It's pretty sad that the state of gaming these days actually makes me worry that this statement might mean no server browser...

I will never understand how allowing the system to choose a game for you can ever be considered an improvement in any way shape or form. This "feature" is a negative selling point for me.

Of course that being said I'm still buying and playing it on release... (and I'll be ranting here if the unthinkable happens. lol)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members

I've gathered that you aren't a fan of devour.
    :D
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Some info on the launch price would be nice.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    What game modes other than the TDM from the mod?
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice. There is a link to the Steam page on Reddit/NS2. Going there now to follow and buying on release date.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What Spark engine version is used for the release? The same one as in 269? (Obviously, performance is the relevant point here.)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2014
    Body not ready for this awesomness.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    The game features an in-built ranking system that automatically grades everyone’s skill over time, and then drops you into servers with similarly skilled players.

It's pretty sad that the state of gaming these days actually makes me worry that this statement might mean no server browser...

I will never understand how allowing the system to choose a game for you can ever be considered an improvement in any way shape or form. This "feature" is a negative selling point for me.

Of course that being said I'm still buying and playing it on release... (and I'll be ranting here if the unthinkable happens. lol)

The server browser is still there, don't worry!
    MrFangs wrote: »
    What Spark engine version is used for the release? The same one as in 269? (Obviously, performance is the relevant point here.)

Combat uses the latest Spark engine build, and will continue to implement any fixes and codebase changes that are applicable to make Combat better.

Scatter wrote: »
    What game modes other than the TDM from the mod?

There's also a Capture Point mode, which works similar to how you know Domination-type game modes to work. Capture a point, hold it, and earn points.
  • G_LerkG_Lerk Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197532Members
    How much will it cost? the original combat mode was free, so i hope it stays that way or doesnt go too much $$$
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    G_Lerk wrote: »
    How much will it cost? the original combat mode was free, so i hope it stays that way or doesnt go too much $$$

It's a standalone game with its own dev team - it won't be free. They haven't said the exact price, as far as I know. Probably will wait a little longer.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    RapGod wrote: »
    G_Lerk wrote: »

It's a standalone game with its own dev team - it won't be free. They haven't said the exact price, as far as I know. Probably will wait a little longer.

Well, I've got a relative idea of what I'm willing to spend on it. I just hope they won't overshoot it and end up selling next to no copies while most people still interested wait for a steam sale or humble bundle.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    So at the end of this month, there will be a worthwhile game to play public on. Can't wait.