The "What I DON'T want to see" thread!

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Hi,

I don't wanna see

-A "online farming only" game. Such a boring thing, even with beautiful graphics. Recently some guy from Crytek said during an interview that "the game industry (all studios) produce such a good graphic quality that it will be harder and harder to impress players". I tend to agree.

-A only online game. or MMO. Solo contents are good and complete a multiplayer game.

feel free to add.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Have you actually taken the time to read up on this game? The developers have already said that it's a single player game with the possibility of maybe adding multiplayer in later... but primarily single player.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    ...well since the thread is open.

A game without aquagorges.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I do not want to see a game:
    where you need to click through x dialog or see x event only to need to do something after... die/fail, and start all over with the same dialog or event you did the previous 8 times you failed.

Doubt that would be in sub, but still.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    global time pressure.

for this type of game, i'd like the player to be able to proceed at his/her own pace, on a global scale at least. two examples to clarify what i mean with global:
    example for local: as a unique or rare event, your energy source is damaged and you will suffocate (or otherwise die) if you don't repair it or find a replacement in time. once that is done, you are save again.
    example for global: your energy is not renewable and you have to constantly scavenge specific stuff to renew it (without being able to build any energy source "farm").

why local time pressure is fine with me: extra challenge / survival theme every now and then

why global time pressure can be super annoying: even if you act 5x faster than you'd need to in order to not run out of time, it still builds up pressure/stress for basically everything you do, no matter if appropriate or not. e.g. reading a logfile from a shipwreck, observing an unusual species, exploring without finding anything useful, barely surviving an encounter (without any materialistic gain), doing anything out of "style" that does not contribute to primary objectives. the time pressure can ruin the sense of achievement you get for doing these things as you sometimes get the feel that they were "not worth it". it can also lead to reaching a state of not being able to get out of a situation alive in the long run, without even knowing it.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    To many NS2 Easter eggs. Now this might sound weird but i dont want loads Easter eggs about NS2. I support aquagorge though.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Insides of a whale.

If you know what I mean.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    agreed.
    Insides of alien creatures, Or nothing.
  • FlygonFlygon Hoenn, Pokéworld Join Date: 2014-09-25 Member: 198713Members
    xen32 wrote: »
    Insides of a whale.

If you know what I mean.
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    agreed.
    Insides of alien creatures, Or nothing.

Spoilsports... Please don't ruin that experience for the rest of us... Some of us might be interested in seeing that.

Besides ~not~ being able to see 'the insides of a whale' should such a scenario happen to me, what I would not like to see is a fixed game, devoid of community mods and creatures. I happen to love many of the creature concepts you all are implementing (can someone say 'crab snake'? <3) and am eager to see how I will be able to meet and interact with them. But in the long run, new content will help extend the lifetime of this game, and providing users with a maybe not simple but at least reasonable method for creating their own creatures and items for import as mods (maybe a Blender export script in Python and a way to define custom behaviors?) will likely make it more interactive with the community.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited October 2014
    I specifically said "alien creatures", for a reason.
    Not interesting in seeing a recreation of the intestinal tract of earthbound deep-sea creatures.
    ....I have google for that.

I want to see how sick-sad-and-otherwise-creative the art team can be.
    I repeat: Alien creatures, or nothing.
    Just clarifying.
  • FlygonFlygon Hoenn, Pokéworld Join Date: 2014-09-25 Member: 198713Members
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    I specifically said "alien creatures", for a reason.
    Not interesting in seeing a recreation of the intestinal tract of earthbound deep-sea creatures.
    ....I have google for that.

I want to see how sick-sad-and-otherwise-creative the art team can be.
    I repeat: Alien creatures, or nothing.
    Just clarifying.

Fair enough, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    global time pressure.

why global time pressure can be super annoying: even if you act 5x faster than you'd need to in order to not run out of time, it still builds up pressure/stress for basically everything you do, no matter if appropriate or not. e.g. reading a logfile from a shipwreck, observing an unusual species, exploring without finding anything useful, barely surviving an encounter (without any materialistic gain), doing anything out of "style" that does not contribute to primary objectives. the time pressure can ruin the sense of achievement you get for doing these things as you sometimes get the feel that they were "not worth it". it can also lead to reaching a state of not being able to get out of a situation alive in the long run, without even knowing it.

I couldn't agree more. Fooling around is an undervalued activity by far. Especially in the context of games. Recreation anyone? Having a goal and an overarching storyline is important to me but please let me experience it on my own pace.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    A.I crew. I'm sure i'm not the only one who hates this idea right? Its just i'd prefer diving to the unknown with out mindless NPC's tagging along
  • MaverickNZMaverickNZ New Zealand Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199115Members
    edited October 2014
    I dont want to see a game that is too arcady and ignores the realities of physics. The underwater world is such an amazing place with its own dynamics it would be great to use that and encourage gamers to adapt how they need to think rather then dumbing it down to be more like other non-aquatic games. (from a long time scuba diver)

With the comment about A.I crew above, I would prefer to be able to friends along, but it also could be a pretty lonely experience if you are playing single player, and sometimes even an AI companion is better than no companionship at all. I mentioned in my "what I want to see" post about Space Engineers, and how the game can be very "empty" and boring on your own, and whilst I am sure the oceans will have lots of 'life', it would be nice to have some contact with other 'people' occasionally :)
  • trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
    Bossfights, any signs of civilization, turret sections, an ongoing plot, or any other overly gamey concept.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sir_zino wrote: »
    A.I crew. I'm sure i'm not the only one who hates this idea right? Its just i'd prefer diving to the unknown with out mindless NPC's tagging along

The one huge thing I would absolutely love about SN is the complete feeling of isolation. One person under the ocean with nothing more than animals and plants. At least in the Prototype #3 I noticed some quite spooky sound effects while swimming around, and oh man how my expectations rose so high. Of course the possible multiplayer could be a way to appeal to the people who would want to experience some more sentient life in the ocean, but I'm glad that they have the single player as a prio.

And to contribute to the thread: Too much/too complex crafting, realistic to the point that it takes away from enjoyment are two things I absolutely don't want to see.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    A game with bad control configuration (invert mouse stuff like that).
    An improbable cockpit (what i saw lately in prototype). Looking 90° left to level (up/down) the submarine while moving forward is more chance for total failure to happen. But hey i like humor.

• BandersaurBandersaur Australia Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199120Members
    An improbable cockpit (what i saw lately in prototype). Looking 90° left to level (up/down) the submarine while moving forward is more chance for total failure to happen. But hey i like humor.

Really? I love that cockpit. Looking sideways lets you see the pitch angle of your sub really easily, and if it's too hard to quickly switch between sticks you'll probably be crashing sooner rather than later anyway.