Heavy slowdown at the Water Production zone on Kodiak map

2»

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Nice find regarding the way mods are handled @rkfg‌
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The mod handling is quite obvious (almost every game has a virtual FS implementation and there's even a library exists to abstract all these things) but the real find is that it may affect performance this big. On the other hand there should be no disk access during the main game phase so it's not that critical. Should be, yeah.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    rkfg wrote: »
    @matso‌ I understand this logic but unfortunately (and I've learned this the hard way being a programmer myself) assuming that something "should not happen" often result in the most cryptic bugs. Because it, well, happens. Probably it should drop a big fat warning to the log that some resource wasn't found (it's a critical thing I suppose that may allow to use wallhacks or other cheats) and mark it as unavailable somewhere in a hash table. If a file isn't found now it's not gonna be found later I suppose. Even better to somehow include this situation into the consistency check procedure to catch these errors early so that the player or mapper would verify their game cache or fix the error in their map. I mean, if the resource file should be there but was not found, the game should not allow me to play, right? :/

In violent agreement, there, actually. It's mostly a resource thing though - there are so many things to do that things that mostly work don't get much attention. Squeaky wheel and all that.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    And here's a simple fix in the meanwhile:
    ln -s ns2/seasonal/holiday2012/models/xmas_rock_mid_str_128.model ns2/seasonal/holiday2012/models/xmas_rock_mid_str_128.model.

No more suffering, no more holes. The only thing that bugs me is that when I did this without reloading the map, stuttering was gone but the hole remained. Which makes me think that that OpenFile call was basically useless, if it finds the missing asset after loading the map it doesn't use it anyway. So the only purpose it serves is to create delays and decrease FPS.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    Loki left those in there by accident because he thought it existed but it doesn't. I'll make sure it's fixed next patch.