[Game Crash] Server browser, in game crashes, loading crashes, etc.

SkualSkual Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186469Members
Hi All,

I am desperate... NS2 is a game I love and played quite a lot a few months ago with no crashes at all on this very computer. I stopped playing and decided to go back to it 1 month ago but since I started playing again, my game has been crashing a LOT, especially a lot more lately.

Since yesterday, my game crashes around 5-10 times per hour, which makes it unplayable. My computer is healthy and I can play other games perfectly. I also have another friend that is experiencing the same crashes over and over since this weekend.

I first had server browser crashes (you click on server browser, the game freezes, shows zero or one server and crashes after a while with looping sound).
- This was fixed by deleting my "roaming" folder, but comes back from time to time, so I have to delete the folder over and over.

Then I started experiencing lately (this weekend or so) in game crashes. This is very random, I basically play on a server that I play a lot and at some point, it crashes. I noticed that it seems to happen when I release the tab button showing the scores.

I also have loading crashes. I connect to a server (that I can play on most of the time) and then during the loading it crashes.

I have tried basically everything that I can think of:
- Updating my drivers
- Unsubscribing from all mods and deleting them
- Delete my "roaming" folder
- Deleting everything that I can found that is related to NS2 and reinstalling the game from scratch without changing much of the options except pushing everything to LOW and binding buttons.

Maybe I forgot to delete something, because when I reinstall the game, it appears that some of my settings are saved somewhere (?!), like my sensitivy, mouse buttons, etc. I do not understand how this can stay, if I missed something please point it out to me. Here is what I deleted:
- SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2: deleted everything
- USER\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2: deleted everything
- Steam\userdata\MYID\ : deleted the folder for NS2 and all other folders and files that seem to be NS2 related

I am also attaching here a zip file that contains 3 different crashes logs and dumps, as well as the technical support stuff. One crash is while connecting to a server (during the loading screen), and two while in game after I believe, releasing the tab button that shows the scores.

I really have tried everything I can think of myself, so please help me if you have any idea of what could be going on!

Have a nice day and keep on fragging!

Skual

Comments

• gthgth Join Date: 2014-09-30 Member: 198789Members
    Hi all

I've been experiencing exactly the same problems :(
    I also tried to delete loads of things, among which lua directories, cached shaders, mods etc. All those files that were likely to cause bugs & crashes according to some previous posts on this forum.

Unfortunately I didn't save the lasts .dmp and logs but will make sure to add them to my post when the game crashes again. And I know it will :(
    I've added the technical_support.exe output though.

I read somewhere on the forum that the server browser crashes should be fixed in the next build, I sure hope the other crashes will be fixed too ! :)

Good hunting devs !

Cheers

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Please don't close the crashed ns2.exe and start the tech_support.exe instead. This will generate a dump of the applications cache which is a lot more helpful for us devs to find crash issues.

Once you saved the generated tech_support.zip you can kill the ns2.exe process ;)

This might take about 5-10 mins and will create a zip file around 300-500Mb large. Upload it somewhere (like dropbox, gdrive, onecloud, mega etc. ) and post the link here.

Thanks for your help.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    The issue seems to be always the same. But I'm guessing you do not play on a laptop or what? That makes me think this is the first time I find out someone with this such issue on that kind of computer. A bit weird in my opinion but well, i'm not skilled for that.

Anyway, glad to know you're playing again. :)
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    It might remember your settings because you have steam cloud enabled for NS2. Try disabling that?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    ATF wrote: »
    It might remember your settings because you have steam cloud enabled for NS2. Try disabling that?

That was one of the first things I did try and didn't help.
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ ok will do next time!

Yesterday everything went fine, no crash whatsoever, so... Maybe posting on the forums improved my cpu's karma ^^
  • SkualSkual Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186469Members
    Please don't close the crashed ns2.exe and start the tech_support.exe instead. This will generate a dump of the applications cache which is a lot more helpful for us devs to find crash issues.

Once you saved the generated tech_support.zip you can kill the ns2.exe process ;)

This might take about 5-10 mins and will create a zip file around 300-500Mb large. Upload it somewhere (like dropbox, gdrive, onecloud, mega etc. ) and post the link here.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for your very quick answer and sorry I didn't understand how to use the techsupport! I had no time to play yesterday.

I just had an in game crash and ran the tech support before closing the debug report and natural selection 2 game.

Basically, I joined a server, pressed tab in the lobby multiple times, it didn't crash. I then joined marines, pressed tab, and the game crashed. Again, please remember that it is pretty random...

You can find the pretty big (500Mb) zip here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzTdQy2rJVY0VXRwcTR2NGtoalE/edit?usp=sharing
    So I just tried deactivating the Steam cloud, erasing everything again, perform a new installation

I started the fresh game, turned up the resolution to 1920*1080, joined an empty server, clicked on tab in the lobby -> crash

I do not know what to do anymore... here is the zip after the fresh install

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzTdQy2rJVY0S3RjVFJFNlVUX1E/view?usp=sharing
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Skual wrote: »
    So I just tried deactivating the Steam cloud, erasing everything again, perform a new installation

I started the fresh game, turned up the resolution to 1920*1080, joined an empty server, clicked on tab in the lobby -> crash

I do not know what to do anymore... here is the zip after the fresh install

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzTdQy2rJVY0S3RjVFJFNlVUX1E/view?usp=sharing

And we got a second hit :(. You are having the known awesomium issue. Hopefully that one can be also be fixed until the next build
    Would it help him if he renames the awesomium_process.exe in ns2 folder, so it doesn't load? It certainly doesn't break anything relevant.
    ATF wrote: »
    Would it help him if he renames the awesomium_process.exe in ns2 folder, so it doesn't load? It certainly doesn't break anything relevant.

Could be worth a try but awesomium is mainly loaded by the awesomium.dll so i don't even know if renaming the given exe would help.
    Well thank you for analysing my issue! It is great news that you know what is going on and that there should be a fix.

I'll try renaming stuff and see if it helps
    Was right when I moved from NS1 to NS2 that I noticed the mentioned process and didn't like it. So i renamed it to stop the web contents from loading. That at least works and doesn't break anything needed to play, since I can play just fine.
    Erm.. so after a week or so without any crashes, it started again when I tried to display the server browser screen tonight
    I did run the techsupport exe whithout exiting the game but can't attach the .zip since the mySql server seems to say "NO", probably too big :(

I'll try renaming the awesomium thing (which is far from awesome if you want my opinion) (but you probably don't :smiley: ) and see if I can play again...
  • Alpha WingAlpha Wing Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177673Members
    Hi everyone, I'm not sure where to post but I really need some help. I host my own dedicated server, and recently it has been crashing for no apparent reason. When it does crash, the console says this (see attachment). Does anybody know what this is and how to fix it?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This issue is fixed for the next patch

@Alpha Wing‌ Start your own new thread please.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    This issue is fixed for the next patch

@Alpha Wing‌ Start your own new thread please.

Looks like no.
  • JDawgOldFJDawgOldF Utah Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199292Members
    edited November 2014
    Yea screw those XP users!

Actually I pass my old machines to my kids. I have two XP machines and both have this same issue (yes did orbital nuke). I have bought 6 copies of this game and I can't to LAN with my kids. I can't spend 2x $100 on Win7 just to get their NS2 to work. :-(
    JDawgOldF wrote: »
    Yea screw those XP users!

Actually I pass my old machines to my kids. I have two XP machines and both have this same issue (yes did orbital nuke). I have bought 6 copies of this game and I can't to LAN with my kids. I can't spend 2x $100 on Win7 just to get their NS2 to work. :-(

I've got the issue on Windows 7. At least the one stated above.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    We need techsupport zip files with the dump file (see the posts above) from users still having these issues.
    @Pelargir‌ @JDawgOldF‌
    IronHorse wrote: »
    We need techsupport zip files with the dump file (see the posts above) from users still having these issues.
    @Pelargir‌ @JDawgOldF‌

I will do that as soon as possible. :)