NS2 crashes, freezes, and/or becomes unresponsive if Server Browser is used in the main menu.

NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
Hey everyone. So I'm back with a new issue and I'm not entirely sure what to expect from this. If the title wasn't already self-explanatory I'll try to elaborate a little bit further here.

For a while now I have been kinda restricted in NS2 since I can only play on a server by joining off of a friend through steam. If I try to open the server browser to pick to a server to play on, it plays the normal sound and the server browser screen begins to pop up. It varies slightly from here. The screen tends to more often than not just freeze. Alt tabbing doesn't work when I try this so I'm forced to bring task manager to bear to close out NS2 which shows up as unresponsive in task manager. The other variation occurs interchangeably with the first version and that is simply that I get a closed game with a debug report. Switching to windowed and then trying it guarantees a debug report.

I've checked my computer for any heating issues since that was the cause of a prior issue I've had as some might remember >.< My cpu is fine and none of my computers hardware has changed either. Hopefully I'll keep my game bug free for a few weeks >.<

Would appreciate any help ~ Nailo Lilenda

Comments

• ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    I (and others) can reproduce a bug with the server browser that make the client GUI unresponsive 'cept for console.

1. Open server browser, clear all filters, show passworded.
    2. Enter a server name string "thirsty" for example
    3. Go back to main menu and open server browser again

Log is attached. Looks like the ´ in the server name of one specific server is a problem. Maybe it helps find your issue, too.
    Have you tried deleting historyservers.json from your "%appdata%\Natural Selection 2" folder?
    If I try to open the server browser to pick to a server to play on, it plays the normal sound and the server browser screen begins to pop up. It varies slightly from here.
    Can you check whether you can still open the console and type exit for example?

Alternatively to the server browser, for as long as you have to wait for a fix, try going here http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/index.php copy the IP of the servers you'd most like to play on, change the port to 27016 when it is 27015 and add them to your steam server browser favorites.
    log.txt 161.6K
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    As soon as I open the server browser on the main page of NS2 the game becomes unresponsive. The console command also fails to work. I literally either have to kill it with task manager to do anything else, or the game kills itself and gives me a debug report. I have not tried deleting the historyservers.json yet. Also thank you for the alternative method. I am kinda curious though. Where would I find the Steam server browser favorites?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Nailo wrote: »
    As soon as I open the server browser on the main page of NS2 the game becomes unresponsive. The console command also fails to work. I literally either have to kill it with task manager to do anything else, or the game kills itself and gives me a debug report. I have not tried deleting the historyservers.json yet. Also thank you for the alternative method. I am kinda curious though. Where would I find the Steam server browser favorites?

Click at the top of steam at view -> servers -> favorites -> rightclick -> Add server by Ip Adress ;)

Beside devicenulls page ns2stats can be also pretty helpfull if you want to look up server ips: http://ns2stats.com/server/index

Also this issue is known and fixed for the next build.
  • raidentraident Germany Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198461Members
    edited September 2014
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    raident wrote: »
    they are unable dont waste your time to help them they just froud us!! with linux software........... they are sucking winstupid users
    and thair neck are not full enought the try to cash up poor linux users bad company ........ realy bad two weaks left i bought n2k for 22€ your monthgain and what did i get just a damnit gamestart with options after onclick on train or join game game stops..... i have many games all games work native just ns2 not I PAYED 22€ SUCKERS move your nothing doing ass!!!!!!!

I don't really get what you want to say, sorry
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2014
    @GhoulofGSG9 Thank you for that ^_^ I'm glad to hear that its not my computer again and that it is pretty much already fixed come next build
  • gthgth Join Date: 2014-09-30 Member: 198789Members
    edited September 2014
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ aw yeah that's very good news ! Maybe I missed that info since I'm new to the forums, but when is the next build coming up? Can't wait to play on a stable version of ns2 again \o/