Queuing (Waiting for Slot) While In-Game

CoelispexCoelispex Join Date: 2013-07-17 Member: 186172Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Dear Santa,

My Christmas wish this year is I want to be able to be queue (waiting for a slot) while in-game without having to Esc out of the server browser. Is this a possible?

Comments

• WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Not a proper answer to your request, but in case it's helpful:

The TGNS servers allow you to spectate (without consuming anyone's gameplay slot) while you wait for a gameplay slot to open. You can hear the voicecomm of whichever teams you choose (none, just one, both, whatever), and it's a very entertaining way to wait for a chance to play.

Sig for details. Happy to answer any questions. Good luck with your feature request.
  • CoelispexCoelispex Join Date: 2013-07-17 Member: 186172Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, that's not what I meant. While playing in-game, I want to queue up to join in a different server. Not spectating.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @Coelispex I'm not sure how possible it is, we'd have to get a programmer in here to answer that (@SamusDroid ?). You can queue to join off of a friend with the steam overlay, but that only works if A. There aren't any reserved slots on the server and B. You have a friend on the desired server :P Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You'd have to make the menu think while it's closed which it currently doesn't. It would require a bit of work.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    This is exactly what im waiting for. I hope to see it in a future build.

@Coelispex: I just made for my people a simple shortcut so they can join the server directly. It's the same procedure as Decoy described but you don't need a friend currently playing on the server. Just download it here and edit the shortcut's URL. Change the IP and port to your desired server. Do not use the gameport (Standard: 27015), use the query port which is one higher (usually 27016).
  • CoelispexCoelispex Join Date: 2013-07-17 Member: 186172Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    You'd have to make the menu think while it's closed which it currently doesn't. It would require a bit of work.

It would be a dream come true. Please deliver Santa.

Thanks to @Decoy for adding this to the wishlist on Trello <3
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    wooza wrote: »

@Coelispex: I just made for my people a simple shortcut so they can join the server directly. It's the same procedure as Decoy described but you don't need a friend currently playing on the server. Just download it here and edit the shortcut's URL. Change the IP and port to your desired server. Do not use the gameport (Standard: 27015), use the query port which is one higher (usually 27016).

Excuse me chiming in on this, but what Wooza is after is a general join queue per server. Something that shows you're number 4 in a queue of 5 and it'll take 10 mins on average to join. You can stay in the queue (and optionally play somewhere else like Coelispex's inspiration) or choose another server with free slots or a smaller queue.
    This would require some engine work and more specifically modifcation of the query handling. It would add ever so slight cpu/net load as every server would have to manage it's own join queue.
    Beside the actual use the only positive thing I can see is that there'd be less players waiting / more playing and would completely avoid the "Server full" you get so often now when you leave the join window open and someone else nabbed the slot.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    ATF wrote: »
    wooza wrote: »

Excuse me chiming in on this, but what Wooza is after is a general join queue per server. Something that shows you're number 4 in a queue of 5 and it'll take 10 mins on average to join. You can stay in the queue (and optionally play somewhere else like Coelispex's inspiration) or choose another server with free slots or a smaller queue.
    This would require some engine work and more specifically modifcation of the query handling. It would add ever so slight cpu/net load as every server would have to manage it's own join queue.
    Beside the actual use the only positive thing I can see is that there'd be less players waiting / more playing and would completely avoid the "Server full" you get so often now when you leave the join window open and someone else nabbed the slot.

Or ppl could just add their favorites to the steam server browser and queue over that ;) But yeah would also love to have a working queue system for ns2 but i fear all the work this might take to do.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    can we please have a scrollable scoreboard, half the time i cant see my name on it on the larger servers or see certain peoples names to mute them
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    can we please have a scrollable scoreboard, half the time i cant see my name on it on the larger servers or see certain peoples names to mute them

Actually that's a good idea added it to the trello board. Thanks ;)
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having steam server browser filters work for ns2 would be a wide general qol change imo.
    I often que servers through the friendslist - but if we could do it through steams server browser that would be great + it would allow us to check activity on our favourite servers without opening the client etc.

However, if I understand it correctly, it is valve/steam that have to fix this problem not uwe/cdt, but idk. Perhaps it is possible to put a little bit of pressure on valve to get this fixed?
    edited October 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Having steam server browser filters work for ns2 would be a wide general qol change imo.
    I often que servers through the friendslist - but if we could do it through steams server browser that would be great + it would allow us to check activity on our favourite servers without opening the client etc.

However, if I understand it correctly, it is valve/steam that have to fix this problem not uwe/cdt, but idk. Perhaps it is possible to put a little bit of pressure on valve to get this fixed?

Actually we guess it's really a ns2 / valve issue ( sending game = "Natural Selection 2" while valve searches for the game "natural selection 2" ). So we could change that but didn't do it because we would properly break some community sites like http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    so get into contact with the developer of those websites and warn them. fixed.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ Put a public notice for devs everywhere - please make this change, pleeeasseee..
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    fix it right in the...

finthep-logo-1.jpg?w=300&h=269