An open letter to the NS2 Community

WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
Dear Community,

I wanted to take a moment to bring you up to date on the Community Development Team. As I am sure you have noticed, the CDT has released a few patches over the last months and work continues with Build 270. Our goal has always been to help strengthen and build up our fellow NS2 community member and the CDT feels that this has happened. However, it's not perfect and I don't think it ever will be, but we can learn and grow throughout the process.

Moving forward we have made a few changes and as always look to our fellow community members for help, thoughts and ideas. We are always reading through the forums, you can message us, email us or even request a teamspeak meeting. We are all volunteers working together to keep this train moving and we couldn't do it without you.

Please check out our updated trello board for more insight into what the team has been looking at and possibly working on in the future. If you register an account with trello, you can then vote on any card on the list to tell us things you want to see priority given or just to say I LIKE THIS! We have also adjusted our testing methods to better verify the integrity of upcoming patches and to make sure we have plenty of time to test a future patch through every stage of its development, especially the release canidate. There are some other items that will soon be in place as well that should vastly help the programming members of the CDT work with even higher collaboration and efficiency moving forward.

Again, we are volunteers and members of the community just like you. You are as much a part of this team as the next and we value your input. Please feel free to contact myself or other members of the team anytime, because together we can continue to show people why this game and its community are so amazing.

Thank you,

Your Community Development Team

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I am a bit confused by this. Is there any core message to this open letter?
  • Slayar_auSlayar_au Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187122Members
    edited September 2014
    What just happened:
    The letter posted by chibi was passed around the community (mostly EU I think) to receive signatures of many players. Obviously whispers got around and Wasabi made this thread as a preempted defence (not trying to "militarise" this).

Little bit rude considering the OP is clearly just saying the CDT is doing what the letter argues they aren't doing. However, it is a volunteer thing.

End of the day happened because > it's a dead game > dev's not wasting more money on it > CDT gets free reigns > community segment (minority or majority?) asking CDT changes its conduct a bit.

Edit:

TL;DR
    Get your popcorn out
    *snip* This is not an imageboard -Ironhorse
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Tinki wrote: »
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Remember to click awesome on this post.

I'm not sure if a "awesome" contest will solve these issues. That's not good path.
    I agree Tinki, also, why granting an awesome to this post in particular ? What WasabiOne posted is the CDT's official policy. It has always been that way, since it was first introduced to us, it had the same kind of rhetoric. It has not changed. And, the open door policy is not respected according to the message Chibi posted, and that is what is bothering a lot of people apparently.
    Slayar_au wrote: »
    Little bit rude considering the OP is clearly just saying the CDT is doing what the letter argues they aren't doing
    YUP, that's my point.

• BerendBerend netherlands Join Date: 2014-03-25 Member: 194955Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    So basically UWE threw ns2 into the trashcan after failing to make the game function and now we should be happy that shoutcasters and social media people are volunteering to do a job that they are not fit for.
    GG

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Berend‌ Thats not quite true. SO far I know uwe is keeping a eye on it and the CDT is doing much much good work. The petition does not say they do not!
    However as it also says there are some issues with it all.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited September 2014
    Is it still a Community Dev Team ? That's the main issue tackled there by this Open Letter, not Wasabi's. Also, being volunteers shouldn't be used as an argument, it doesn't stand up.
    Berend wrote: »
    So basically UWE threw ns2 into the trashcan after failing to make the game function and now we should be happy that shoutcasters and social media people are volunteering to do a job that they are not fit for.
    GG
    That's not the issue either, imo

edit : I messed up the quotation, it's fixed now

• BerendBerend netherlands Join Date: 2014-03-25 Member: 194955Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    "Thats not quite true. SO far I know uwe is keeping a eye on it and the CDT is doing much much good work. The petition does not say they do not!"

I know that's not what the petition said, I'm the one that is saying that, disagree with it if you want.
    CDT probably got word about the petition so before giving the actual community a chance of posting it they post this.
    Also, UWE is "keeping an eye" on them doesn't impress me either, they are the ones that screwed up in the first place.
    But at least they could be held accountable when they were responsible for the development, how do we hold the CDT accountable when they are all volunteers who get no money for the job they are doing?
    BTW I'm not mad at the CDT because I blame UWE in the first place, but I don't think the community should be happy about it either which is what I think Wasabione is trying to imply here.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @MauvaisVitrier‌
    yeh well the community letter says it all better then I do. But I did not specify a issue in my post hence I dont understand your answer.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Berend - What, specifically, do you think the CDT has done to negatively impact the game?
    edited September 2014
    @MauvaisVitrier‌
    yeh well the community letter says it all better then I do. But I did not specify a issue in my post hence I dont understand your answer.
    Yeah @DC_Darkling, I didn't use the right quotation. My previous message has been updated, it was not addressed to you :)

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited September 2014
    sebb wrote: »
    Beige and Dragon hit the nail on the head. While the people signing this petition would like to believe that the whole community is in agreement with that document, the opposite is true. It would be nice if stuff like this wasn't posted so dramatically as well because 1. A lot of this stuff isn't a big deal anyways and 2. It comes off as really really entitled and passive aggressive.

For what reasons do you think this list isn't here?

I talked with Zefram and we had a very nice discussion. The purpose of the googledoc was to do the same on a forum. I just personally think CDT could have waited the time we post our own thread.

Everyone is here 'cause they care about NS2, so let's make a real discussion right now and let's skip these both letters. We have a small and an awesome community compared to other games. Why people would like to get it down? There were community players that agreed about the stated points, and other that disagreed with all or few of them. What's wrong? Everyone can have their own idea. A GoogleDoc can be a bit bad and threatening but why do you think it wasn't posted yet? It has been open one day ago (only one day, things can change to have a good thread to open), ideas and requests have changed, even now, on the Chb's message, there are parts that have been removed. Of course, people asked to have a proper list for those that agree (next time a list for those that disagree can be fine aswell), not the best idea but it has been done because some people claimed for this.

What did we learn? Well, I hope at least nobody can agree with everything, but that doesn't mean those that do not have your opinion are wrong (no matter what side 'cause there's only one side: NS2).

Now it's done, I did notice some really pleasant things on Trello -
    NS2_Obby_proto_menu_02.jpg

I like it but isn't it a bit too close to CS:GO right?
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    xDragon wrote: »
    With regards to the specifics about CompMod, and also lerk sound in particular:

There has always been a lack of feedback, since the day the comp mod initially started. I went back earlier and read over every single comp mod thread on the NSL forums, and there is very few posts that had reasonable feedback that didnt directly influence discussion. If there is so many people who disagree with a change or changes from CompMod, why is this the first time this is being made public. If you disagree with something but tell no one else, how are we supposed to know there is a problem? I would like to be able to read peoples minds, but sadly its not something I have mastered yet. I'm going to say the same thing I said on the NSL forums:
    In the end, it comes down to what the community wants. There is no point to us developing and furthering a mod which hurts the community, or doesn’t have a positive impact. If what you say is actually true, I seriously question why this has never been brought up before, especially with so many open channels for communication.

For anyone that may share an opinion with this, I welcome you to come forward and discuss why you think comp mod negatively impacts the scene, and what changes (even if its all the changes) you think are the primary contributors. Nothing can change if the problems remain hidden and unknown. While I cannot guarantee that every post or every issue will trigger changes, it’s important to make the post regardless. Every post is read and many times yields a perspective on things that can and will help future changes.

I know communication about CompMod has not been perfect, but acting like you represent the majority of the community, and that there has been 'ample' feedback already provided is hugely arrogant, and as far as I can tell, a complete fallacy.

The problem with the lerk change is twofold:
    1. There are those who are against compmod changes being a part of vanilla simply because the game is not only for competitive players, and generally speaking, if it's in the comp mod, it's tailored for competitive players, and not necessarily for average/vanilla/casual players.
    2. The lerk sound is a VERY recent change as far as comp mod changes, and there hasn't been much time for competitive players to get used to it, practice with it, and even approve/disapprove of it. It was rushed in. Hell the HMG's are older and those aren't in vanilla yet.

I personally believe it was the right move, but I think how it was snuck into vanilla was not the right move. People hate change. You have to go slow and steady and hold their hand.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    simba wrote: »
    Hell the HMG's are older and those aren't in vanilla yet.

It shouldn't even be in compmod imo, lets please not go and add something that has messed balance up so much to vanilla for the love of god...

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Its not 'in' vanilla currently, in-case there is any confusion on that. It simply showed up on trello, the very thing which allows people to vote and provide feedback on changes... And I think because of the nature of the feedback it has already been shelved..

And that is your opinion on its impact on balance crazy, there are many people who also support it, including many lerk players. Be mindful that it's your opinion and not some proven fact.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    @Pelargir‌ We already had a brief discussion earlier about this, but for the sake of public discussion, no I don't disagree with wanting to make NS2 and the CDT 'better'. However I think that the document is sensationalist and trying to nitpick faults and blame them on the CDT which is doing a pretty good job considering what they have to work with. I also don't hold anything against people that agree with these points either, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Also, that main menu concept is crazy close to CS. If that's intentional that's pretty dangerous water to swim in I would think.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    There are some things in the open letter with which I strongly agree, however. In particular, the contentious changes (like lerk bomber sounds) really needed open consultation with the community before being implemented.

But this isn't in vanilla, this is a compmod change...

Then accept my most sincere apologies and continue your good work, kind sir.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    There are some things in the open letter with which I strongly agree, however. In particular, the contentious changes (like lerk bomber sounds) really needed open consultation with the community before being implemented.

No this is not. This was in the Trello.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    With regards to the specifics about CompMod, and also lerk sound in particular:

There has always been a lack of feedback, since the day the comp mod initially started. I went back earlier and read over every single comp mod thread on the NSL forums, and there is very few posts that had reasonable feedback that didnt directly influence discussion. If there is so many people who disagree with a change or changes from CompMod, why is this the first time this is being made public. If you disagree with something but tell no one else, how are we supposed to know there is a problem? I would like to be able to read peoples minds, but sadly its not something I have mastered yet. I'm going to say the same thing I said on the NSL forums:
    In the end, it comes down to what the community wants. There is no point to us developing and furthering a mod which hurts the community, or doesn’t have a positive impact. If what you say is actually true, I seriously question why this has never been brought up before, especially with so many open channels for communication.

For anyone that may share an opinion with this, I welcome you to come forward and discuss why you think comp mod negatively impacts the scene, and what changes (even if its all the changes) you think are the primary contributors. Nothing can change if the problems remain hidden and unknown. While I cannot guarantee that every post or every issue will trigger changes, it’s important to make the post regardless. Every post is read and many times yields a perspective on things that can and will help future changes.

I know communication about CompMod has not been perfect, but acting like you represent the majority of the community, and that there has been 'ample' feedback already provided is hugely arrogant, and as far as I can tell, a complete fallacy.

Uhm, I think this is massively missing the point. You can't tell people they should've given feedback to the compmod if changes from that mod influence the main game.

Firstly, the compmod is, as the name suggests, a) a mod and b) from and for the competitive community. Only people interested in at least one of those two aspects are going to give feedback, because no one else is affected.
    If you indicate that a majority of the compmod feedback happens on the NSL forums (which would make sense, as it's a competitive thing), then you have another reasons - most of us aren't there. Not everybody is a competitive player.

Furthermore, there has never been any hint before the CDT appeared, and arguably some time after that, that compmod changes would affect the main game. Even until it happened it was not explicitly communicated to the average player, so it went right over their head.

So, in conclusion, saying people shouldn't complain about to changes to the main game that came from a "competitive" mod because they could've given to that very mod is downright ridiculous.
    However if you want that kind of feedback for upcoming changes to the actual main game and started a mod/thread for it, I am sure you will get a lot more responses. Think of Sewlek's old balance mod.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Tinki wrote: »

No this is not. This was in the Trello.

It's not in the public build, and it is on trello, so it is public and therefore you have a chance to provide feedback before it goes in. By the way, the implementation was quite different from the compmod one, just because it sounded similar doesn't mean that it was going to be a copy & paste.

Also, if you read the Trello you'll see it has been pulled.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    My comments are directed at the remarks about CompMod and its handling specifically. Changes from CompMod being integrated into vanilla is something different altogether, and not what I was trying to target with my post.
    My comments are directed at the remarks about CompMod and its handling specifically. Changes from CompMod being integrated into vanilla is something different altogether, and not what I was trying to target with my post.

Oh. Ok. My bad, I misunderstood.