Mouse Micro-stutters/Blind Spots (Closed Until further notice)

KerfuffleKerfuffle Join Date: 2014-03-15 Member: 194748Members
edited September 2014 in Technical Support
So, this problem started on August 28th.
My wireless mouse randomly had stutters/blind spots and they were always in random places. My first thought was it's the mouse seeing as it was 4-5 years old and had suffered much abuse.
My new mouse came on the 4th, and I found the same issues. This is not the only game these issues have occurred in (and it was so bad it would even happen when using it for web-surfing). I have made much progress by myself and the problem is mostly gone. This game is currently the only one I can still see the problem occurring in. It is significantly less serve, but it has made me almost fly directly into a lava pit so...yeah. Any suggestions specifically for this game or in general are much appreciated. I will list everything I've done down below, for now I'm going to give the specs of my computer.

This computer was built July 20th, 2014, and up until August 28th I have had no problems -- except for my crappy wireless keyboard but that's a different story. Nothing that I'm aware of was changed/altered on the 28th, so it only adds to the frustration of fixing an unknown source.

Windows 7 OS
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHZ
8.00 GBs RAM
64-bit Operating System
NVIDIA Graphics Card 2 GBs 192-bit

This is an attempt to put the steps in order...but I've done a lot and probably forgot a few:
- My mouse will work perfectly if placed into the front USB ports;; but my headset works fine in the back USB ports (I would hear anytime it'd disconnect/reconnect if the USB ports were the problem)
- Messed with a bunch of settings in NS, such as turning on/off raw input.
- Switched between a DPI of 800/1600 -- Worse at 800, 1600 was what I began with
- Turned off the ability for my computer to turn off USB ports to save power -- Might(?) have helped, fixed it for one night and then in the morning it began again. It seems to be less frequent now.
- Installed the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard -- Same as the above step
- Deleted all unused drivers encase one was corrupted -- Problem isn't nearly as bad, but still there
- Turned off multi-threading in NS -- Significantly made it worse, so I turned it back on afterwards
- Modified my graphics card settings, reduced pre-rendered frames to 1 (made it worse), then raised to 4 (made it better/back to where I was).

There seems to be a pattern of it being "fixed" for one day and reoccurring the next.
If there is anything else I can to help please let me know.

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited September 2014
    in your natural selection 2 folder is a techsupport.exe. Run it.
    It will supply more info for us.

>edit, and give us the zip file on this forum ofc<
  • KerfuffleKerfuffle Join Date: 2014-03-15 Member: 194748Members
    Attached the file to this post.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Hi there. Your system is totally bottle-necked. Your i7-4790K CPU is powerful, but your GeForce 660 is not powerful to run everything at FULL GFX quality, as it's just above a mid-range card.

Please try the following settings:

Renderer - D3D9 (NOT DX11 like you currently have set)

ambient occlusion - low

particles-low

And report back. The Change of renderer should help some stuttering, and the other changes will help with framerate. Thanks!
    edited September 2014
    Ah, that's one thing I forgot to list. It was originally on d3d9 when this all began and I attempted dx11 last night;; so dx11 isn't the cause of all this.

I will change those settings and let you know though. ^^

-- I've felt a few stutters already, so no luck with those changes. Thank you though!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Feel free to go to your console (~ key) and type
    p_logall

This will create a performance log for us to review and it will stop automatically when the round ends or when you type p_endlog.
    Try to keep it less than 20 minutes, as the file size does increase. You will find the plog file in your hidden %appdata%/natural selection 2 folder with a file extension of "*.plog"
    Be sure to zip it / RAR it and then link us to wherever you upload it to.

You should also disable those mods that you have installed, at least temporarily while testing this

FYI don't touch pre rendered frames.. increasing it increases your FPS but also increases input delay!
    Could you please explain more clearly the symptoms you are experiencing.. as in , does the game itself hitch or freeze or just your mouse input? What about the keyboard? etc etc
    Alright will do, but I am going away this weekend so it'll be a little while until I can get back to you.

The game itself is not hitching, nor have I had any issues with my keyboard relating to this. The mouse either stutters a little, or it seems like there is a single space (blind spot) where the mouse does not recognize. It's always random but is very noticeable. For example, when moving my mouse in an arch formation at times it will stop recognizing input at the top of the arch but will recognize everything to the left and right.
    Currently, the stuttering has gone away. The cause might have been wireless interference; I have plugged the USB into a USB extender that is now sitting on my desk. These past two days I haven't found any issues. So..it is fixed (maybe?). Thank you to everyone who responded!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Definitely go wired, it's worth the relatively easy pain of installation.
    Typically its a $10 cable that can be fit along the wall under most carpet, or easily routed through drywall.

When you are absolutely fed up with gaming on wireless connections, (It's only a matter of time!) you'll go to great lengths to ensure you have a wired connection...
    Last year I had 500 ft of burial cat5e cable up a mountainside, with an expensive in line extender, a 56v POE box, lightning surge protectors, and then a burried waterproof enclosure for the extender and then the POE stepdown (to 18v due to radio limitations, the extra voltage was to account for the drop over the length)
    :bz