Anti-Aliasing

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
What method of AA does NS2 currently use?

If not already, could smaa be supported/implemented?

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    What method of AA does NS2 currently use?

If not already, could smaa be supported/implemented?

FXAA. I think this has been suggested before, it didn't make the high priority list. :( Lemme see if I can find that thread.

EDIT: Here ya go! http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/121889/smaa-the-quest-for-better-anti-aliasing/p1
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    SMAA is on my todo list
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Personally, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. FXAA works alright for me. The biggest complaint I see is people complain about textures getting blurred by it... what does that mean??? I don't see any texture blurring in NS2 when I use FXAA. :/
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited September 2014
    FXAA is a post processing effect and so it analyzes the pixels on the screen to apply the effect rather than the 3d models themselves.

Essentially this allows great performance (in most cases) but things do not always look very sharp.
    coolitic wrote: »
    FXAA is a post processing effect and so it analyzes the pixels on the screen to apply the effect rather than the 3d models themselves.

Essentially this allows great performance (in most cases) but things do not always look very sharp.

I understand how it works, I just don't quite see what the problem is. Stuff in the distance gets a little aliased, but I don't see the textures "blurring" as I've seen so many people complain about. :/
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    The biggest difference between the two is edge analysis and rotation. FXAA is excellent at handling static geometry, not too mention it's speed. Where as SMAA is hugely better at handling arbitrary angles that change frequently (games). The drawback is performance, SMAA is more intensive. However, some great improvements have been made to this method's efficiency over the years.

To put it in simple terms, SMAA is better had handling aliasing of objects that are moving (regardless of camera position). I am planing on using the SMAA T2x variation. One of the best improvements is the usage of precomputed data, reducing the need to perform all of the image-space calculations evey frame.

Demo vid:
    http://vimeo.com/31247769
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @McGlaspie , are you making some progress on SMAA-T2x? ^_^
    https://trello.com/c/jm5lVMYA/
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    well it is in "wishlist" and not in "doing". so probably no
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    But it was hidden for 2 years...
    I haven't yet had a chance to plow into this. I do want to though. I feel better AA is one of those polish touches that Spark has needed for a long time. This is just a polish item, so it's a low priority. And yeah, it was on another Trello Board...at one point the CDT had many boards...which proved silly, so we condensed everything into one.