[Patch 269 + 270] HELP ME (WindowXP SP3) !!!! Black Screen after click Play , cant do anything

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @ZeroEarTh‌
    What Ghoul is saying is that your hardware (not OS) never even met the minimum requirements.. not even in 2012 when NS2 was launched.
    The steam store minimum specs have never been changed since launch day (unfortunately)
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    Yes my PC is old , but after all i have tried to play this game and bought it , because i love it

Just want a clear answer : " Developers are working to help out people using WindowXP or not ?"
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »
    Yes my PC is old , but after all i have tried to play this game and bought it , because i love it

Just want a clear answer : " Developers are working to help out people using WindowXP or not ?"

Atm we are still willing to help ppl with XP SP3 and who have specs which fit at least to the minimum requirements. Both is not true in your case.
    Im using Window XP SP3 , and before Comunity Dev TEam realese these update , make my PC run + loading slower >> More crash , fatal error

Now game is cant play after build 269 >>>> So this is my fault ?
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Before build 269 the game was "not guaranteed to run on our config".
    After the 269, the game is still "not guaranteed to run on our config".

You were able to play before 269 -> developers' merit.
    I see Mega pack sale 90% on Steam , but if this game cant run well i cant recomend other play this game

Each build is "new" error , bug make game " Un-Playable" >> Patient have limit , im a customer and just want a "Support" here
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We are trying to fix the issue, however it is proving difficult to deal with. THe CDT do not run XP, and in fact, our hardware does not support windows XP in drivers anymore.

NS2 is still being developed and improved. We've been upgrading some of the core NS2 3rd party tech to make the game faster and better on modern systems. It's quite possible systems from over a decade and a half ago can no longer run an in-development game.

We're still assessing the situation and will deal with in as best we can.
    edited November 2014
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We are trying to fix the issue, however it is proving difficult to deal with. THe CDT do not run XP, and in fact, our hardware does not support windows XP in drivers anymore.

NS2 is still being developed and improved. We've been upgrading some of the core NS2 3rd party tech to make the game faster and better on modern systems. It's quite possible systems from over a decade and a half ago can no longer run an in-development game.

Put yourself as a Customer like me , you can see this is "acceptable answer from developers "

" Oh , they not forgeting us , Yeeeeee" :D >>> Keep waitting for fixes

• antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

Put yourself as a Customer like me , you can see this is "acceptable answer from developers "

" Oh , they not forgeting us , Yeeeeee" :D >>> Keep waitting for fixes
    Thank you for mentioning this. Please do let us know if you need help to test the fixes for low end systems. I am also on Windows XP Pro SP3. :(
    Update : Windows 7 not work either , only pass blackscreen , then on my buddy PC im trying install NS2
    Play 1-2 round , each round about 15 min >> Crash Fatal error every single time =='

57413FA6B006073CD830D29DEBE02D643BC1EAFA
  • HendaHenda Join Date: 2004-09-20 Member: 31818Members, Constellation
    Just wanted to let you know that i also have the black screen after a longer NS2 break. Also Windows XP and previous tips didn't work.. I hope you guys can get it fixed =) otherwise i have to wait until i install Win 7 some day
    edited December 2014
    Henda wrote: »
    Just wanted to let you know that i also have the black screen after a longer NS2 break. Also Windows XP and previous tips didn't work.. I hope you guys can get it fixed =) otherwise i have to wait until i install Win 7 some day

bro , even Win 7 have problem Fatal error

Can you imagine you play with jp >> Fatal error ?

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @ZeroEarTh‌
    Those are two separate issues you are talking about. The black screen after clicking play = XP users
    The jetpack bug = for all operating systems. This is already fixed in the next patch.

If you are getting a black screen when clicking Play in windows 7, please provide a dump file.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I also suspect that the Windows 7 used with ZeroEarth's friend was probably the 32bit version. Try the 64bit version.
    edited December 2014
    Ok , found fix for "Fatal Error + Red Plug" and Crash "Could not allocate ###### bytes ,and now will terminated"

Windows 7 32bit user >> go in Option >> Graphics >> Texture Handling set to 1Gb or 512Mb depends if you crash soon or later

My setting in Option General also :smile:

1/Turn OFF Showhint + Commander Help

2/ PhysX Multithreading and PhysX Acceleration GPU also OFF

>>> Take 2-3 days messing with Option , but finally i can play 3 Round of NS2 until its Disconnect to MainMenu and say : " Your game files not match server" , but this error is common for 32bit User ( my WinXP got this error before) , and not affect much about gameplay . But UWE and CDT should fix 32-bit OS problem fast :D
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    Windows Vista 32bit , Win7 32bit, Win8 32bit are "compatibility versions" of Windows just to support ancient hardware and software, so why the h*ll gamers are using 32bit, I just don't get it. Mb they are afraid to use 64bit on systems with less then 4Gb of RAM, or just because of their amateurism.
    METROID wrote: »
    Windows Vista 32bit , Win7 32bit, Win8 32bit are "compatibility versions" of Windows just to support ancient hardware and software, so why the h*ll gamers are using 32bit, I just don't get it. Mb they are afraid to use 64bit on systems with less then 4Gb of RAM, or just because of their amateurism.

Both >>> We dont have over 4Gb of RAM and we play other games like Left4Dead and Counter Strike fine 100% no crash

After 2-3 round >> NS2 will surely crash even my buddy PC using Window 7 32bit
    64bit OS isn't just for people with over 4GB of RAM. If your CPU supports it, you will also see a small speed increase of up to 10%.

Whatever the case, if your CPU supports 64bit, you should be running a 64Bit OS. Windows Vista, 7 and 8/8.1 Licence keys cover you to run either 32bit OR 64 bit and programs can allocate more RAM per instance, so really it's worth installing a 64bit OS on your system.
    my CPU is Intel Pentium G2010 2,8Ghz (2 CPU)

so its support or not , i dont know but i can play Counter Strike GO and Left4Dead2 on Medium Setting fine

Except for NS2 ......
    edited December 2014

so its support or not , i dont know but i can play Counter Strike GO and Left4Dead2 on Medium Setting fine

Except for NS2 ......

Notice you can't play DOTA 2 though, Valve's source games are dropping support for XP over time.

Your CPU DOES support a 64bit OS: http://ark.intel.com/products/71071/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G2010-3M-Cache-2_80-GHz

If you want a free speed increase and the ability to play more games, 64bit OS is a must in the 2010s.
    edited December 2014

Except for NS2 ......
    Yes, your CPU is below the minimum requirements to play this game (which came out after L4D and CSGO)

But comparing an indie game engine (Spark for NS2) to Source, an engine made by the largest gaming company, developed and tested over 12 years with a hundred man team, an infinite budget and an unmatched industry influence and weight...... well.. You just picked the two most polar opposite game engines to compare. It's no wonder one will run on your old system and one will not..
    my Friends still play DOTA2 on XP fine

Internet cafe in Asia allways using WindowXP , they install Teamfortress 2 , DOTA2 , bunch of Free2Play games works great
    edited December 2014
    @ZeroEarTh‌

Thats because DOTA2 is..again.....a Source engine....... the same exact engine used in CSGO, L4D2, TF2 etc.
    Valve (the company who made that engine and those games) have already dropped support for XP SP1... and have officially stated they will continue to support XP SP3 through the end of this year.
    The OS is dated, my friend, it accounts for only 4% of Steam users.
    But developers shouldnt abandon XP user , they have support a great games

Other wise , i dont have patient like most gamers , stay with report bug , crash ...ect

Im sure 4% on this forums agree with me
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited December 2014
    I wish UWE never supported XP from the start, just so we can avoid people who are too damn lazy and ignorant to upgrade an OS.

you can install windows 7 in under an hour with drivers, but i guess it makes more sense to complain to volunteers that they should fix XP problems,

if you guys are really desperate, i can give you a couple of Vista keys if you would like, sure its no windows 7, but atleast its much better than XP at this point plus 64bit support, if you're not willing to help yourself, then don't expect anyone else to help you either.

Now leave the CDT alone, kthx
    Im gonna leave you alone Only :)
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Internet cafe in Asia allways using WindowXP , they install Teamfortress 2 , DOTA2 , bunch of Free2Play games works great
    This at least is true, asians are not letting go of XP. 8-|
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    install windows 7 64bit, not 32bit, most of your problems should go away
    I say i cant ok? thats why i m posting on here , need developers help

Other wise things have been easy ...
    I just installed Windows XP 64bit in a Virtual Machine.

NS2 running fine:

GFajxfn.jpg

E8xwYqP.jpg

Things you will need to install to get NS2 running:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3387

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=21254

then

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5582

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=2092

For those of you with XP 32bit, try installing all the (x86) versions. If that does not work, try upgrading to 64Bit Windows XP or above.