[Patch 269 + 270] HELP ME (WindowXP SP3) !!!! Black Screen after click Play , cant do anything

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    So i mentioned that your driver was not digitally signed.. but it should be.
    Have you tried reinstalling your GPU drivers?
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    yes i have , its easy and i can tell you i play L4d2 and CSGO fine
    maybe CDT mess up some code in this build 269 ? i dont know but just before it is 268 update im playing fine with only one error is :"Game file not match server " after map change
    I want to play and buy for friends ,but these error prevent me , esspecially on NS2 sale 75% =='
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This is a long shot... but have you tried pressing Alt + Enter when the game loads up, to switch to windowed mode?
    Also have you tried modifying your system_options.xml file to use d3d11 instead of d3d9 ?
    edited September 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    This is a long shot... but have you tried pressing Alt + Enter when the game loads up, to switch to windowed mode?
    Also have you tried modifying your system_options.xml file to use d3d11 instead of d3d9 ?

window mode alt+enter wont work

i will try switch DX11 , but window XP support DX11 ?
    P/s : DX11 wont work , i will upload techsupport file for you , just in case
  • gr1m210gr1m210 Texas Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198418Members
    Hey guys I just bought the game today on sale, I'm a big NS fan been playing since NS1 I've had this game on my wish list forever and have been wanting to play since I first heard about it but I seem to be getting the same problem, as soon as I start up the game all I see is a black screen. I let it sit for ten minutes, still nothing but a black screen. This is very disappointing I am also running XP. Like I said I just installed never even got to play can anyone tell me is it just my computer or can I fix this problem?
    you cant fix it , let the developers handle

and its not your computer , i have window XP too and play this game fine , before new patch
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    gr1m210 wrote: »
    Hey guys I just bought the game today on sale, I'm a big NS fan been playing since NS1 I've had this game on my wish list forever and have been wanting to play since I first heard about it but I seem to be getting the same problem, as soon as I start up the game all I see is a black screen. I let it sit for ten minutes, still nothing but a black screen. This is very disappointing I am also running XP. Like I said I just installed never even got to play can anyone tell me is it just my computer or can I fix this problem?

Can you run ns2, let it blackscreen for a few minutes and then, while it is still open, execute the techsupport.exe in your ns2 install directory? This will collect all sorts of information to better diagnose the issue. Upload the resulting zip file somewhere and post a link here please
    edited September 2014
    Asraniel wrote: »
    gr1m210 wrote: »

Can you run ns2, let it blackscreen for a few minutes and then, while it is still open, execute the techsupport.exe in your ns2 install directory? This will collect all sorts of information to better diagnose the issue. Upload the resulting zip file somewhere and post a link here please

All my techsupport im run is when NS2.exe still open for about 5-10 mins , so his black screen is similar to me (windowXP)
    Its more like "NS2.exe Not respoding black screen" , so i will upload it for you (again :))

• DittoDitto Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198464Members
    I've been playing NS2 a long time. After taking a one month break I decided to start playing again and I came back to an unresponsive black screen. Been watching this thread and decided to finally make a forum account so I can help out. I tried disabling all my mods, and did the nuke from orbit reinstall. Updated my graphics drivers and tried pressing alt+enter but nothing worked. I'm using GeForce GTX 460 v2 on WinXp. Haven't been having problems with any other games and NS2 was working fine before the new build/patch with the exception of "Game file not match server " after map change and some frame rate issues. It seems each new build lowers my frame rates a little.
    Asraniel wrote: »
    https://anonfiles.com/file/39d2257c8630e8b8139e64f9d3c02f2dhttps://anonfiles.com/file/39d2257c8630e8b8139e64f9d3c02f2d

Let me know what else you need or can use. I hope you guys can fix this bug.
    We're on it, thank you!
    well other user on windows7 and 8 have this black screen too , anyone have same problem please post in my topic

let the devs handle it >> in one thread
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Are you able to open the console ( key above tab )? If so could you please use net_stats and tell us what it says (or even better make a screenshot).
    Are you able to open the console ( key above tab )? If so could you please use net_stats and tell us what it says (or even better make a screenshot).

like i said , i cant even open console >> its become not responding from start i cant type anything , just move my mouse cusor around :)

mean while im playing Left4Dead2 , killing times while waitting for this ...
    how long does it take to release a patch - hot fix ?

because im missed buy my friends some copies on ns2 sale 75% ( they say game not working)
    We won't be hotfixing this, as it is not something that seems to be effecting a large portion of the user base, going off of the amount of users that have reported this issue so far. (4, based on tech support emails and forums)

However, it is definitely a priority for the CDT.
    As soon as we have a solution for the issue and it is scheduled for a patch, I will update you here.
    I apologize on behalf of our team for the inconvenience this creates to anyone effected, sometimes the range of possibilities of hardware / software variances can lead to very difficult to catch bugs like this one.

If you are reading this thread and have this issue, feel free to upload your techsupport zip file (remember to run it while ns2 is still up) to add more data

well this is music in my ears , hope next patch my friends will see a differrence in this game again and buy it :)
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    Same issue. I started another thread before reading this one. Doh.
    Tech support file ect posted there:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135625/game-wont-launch-just-black-screen?
  • DittoDitto Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198464Members
    Just got a bit more info to help you guys solve this problem. Decided to run a file monitor so you could see exactly what NS2 is doing how long it's taking. I ran filemon before starting NS2, log goes for about 5 minutes, and then you can see where I force quit NS2 . It seems it does all the work in the first 5 second, then is just idling the rest of the time. Also I edited the options XML for windowed mode just so I could alt-tab while this is running. Not sure if that'll effect anything but it should be noted I guess. Still waiting to play my favorite game. Best of luck guys.
    Is this ever getting fixed?????

Not played the game in a good while but i fired it up (or tried) about a month ago to see how things had changed ect and had the "black screen, wont launch" problem.

Its been a month now and still no fix.

Is this a case of only a few are having the problem so we wont bother or what?????
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    majorpain wrote: »
    Is this ever getting fixed?????

Not played the game in a good while but i fired it up (or tried) about a month ago to see how things had changed ect and had the "black screen, wont launch" problem.

Its been a month now and still no fix.

Is this a case of only a few are having the problem so we wont bother or what?????

This problem is being seen by a tiny fraction of the community and it's been difficult to reproduce & fix. Also, the CDT programming team have started back at their jobs and college. Remember, the NS2 Programming team are volunteers and can only do so much work to find and fix bugs in their spare time. It's especially difficult when a bug is difficult to reproduce. We are however, looking into it.
    We bought this game and this is how we are ?
    a tiny fraction of the community

Developers :smiley:
    the CDT programming team have started back at their jobs and college

Maybe we can ask why UWE not pay these programer some $$$ for their work ?
    And how long we have to wait until we can play NS2 normal ? This is not personal thing but customers review theirs games for friends to buy it
    the NS2 Programming team are volunteers and can only do so much work to find and fix bugs in their spare time
    I have lost count of how many times a patch has broken this game in some way but not being able to even boot the game up (again and again) because of a patch and then being told:

"This problem is being seen by a tiny fraction of the community and it's been difficult to reproduce & fix. Also, the CDT programming team have started back at their jobs and college. Remember, the NS2 Programming team are volunteers and can only do so much work to find and fix bugs in their spare time. It's especially difficult when a bug is difficult to reproduce. We are however, looking into it."

After waiting patiantly for a month for a solutiion to the problem, let alone an actual fix, is there any wonder that i feel my patience wearing a little thin???

Yeah, i get the volunteers, small studio, game not your priority anymore ect new game to work on but when your next game is released do you think that the customers who have been left hanging so many times with NS2 are going to be jumping on board that train any time soon????

This is not a pure rant post as i have enjoyed the inovation of NS2 and the vision of the Devs but i feel you guys go about some things arse backwards too much.

Cmon, sort it out!!!!!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We do have an idea of what it is, it only effects some users who are running Windows XP. It's not a simple fix (if it is what we think it is) as it involves 3rd party software ie: not something NS2 coders code.

A current work-around is to upgrade your OS from a 13 year old Operating System to a more modern one. We're investigating a proper fix but do not expect this to be something fixed quickly due to all of the factors I have previously mentioned.

Also @majorpain, it is not about payment to the CDT to get this fixed, it's about time, availability and the other factors.
    I was not the one who mentioned "payments to the CDT" that was another forum member and i am not expecting a quick fix as i have already been waiting on one for a month as it is, but a fix within my life time would be good :)
    edited October 2014
    While we think we know what is causing this (interaction between Windows XP and awesomium, the 3rd party menu GUI) it might be worth trying some workarounds in the meantime before the next patch is shipped:

Try manually installing certain DirectX dlls as suggested here (follow the link provided on that page)
    OR
    Try a dual boot of a more modern operating system and see if you still have the same issue.
    Try install that DirectX2010 like you said @IronHorse‌

But still the result is black :))

We have to wait and hope gentlement , CDT will fix this
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Can you try this?
    Oh and Windows XP.. are you serious?