Medpack drop range limit

RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
I've noticed (some time ago) that marines are using a trick with medpack drops to "spy" on where the hive is positioned right after the game starts by dropping medpacks on tech points.

I think i just think of an easy solution to avoid this. Limit the medpack dropping only to a certain range from marines and buildings. This way you can't just drop medpacks all over the map wherever you want but only nearby your structures and players. Meaning all players would still be able to get healed, you'll still be able to drop medpacks on a phasegate to prepare marines for healing when phased, basically it won't change anything to the way how players get healed, but you won't be able to exploit it for hive search.

It could either be range specified relative to the marines and structures or simply a per room option. If there is at least 1 marine or at least one marine structure in the room, you are able to drop medpacks in that room. If there aren't any of either, you can't at all. I know game already checks rooms for turret placement so you can't have 2 turret sets in one room, they could apply the same for medpacks.

This way marines get all the healing they deserve with medpacks, but can't exploit or abuse that to take advantage over aliens on game start. I know there was a change for spawn positions not long ago so spawns are now a bit more predictable but still.

Comments

• AliceTaylorAliceTaylor Join Date: 2013-05-03 Member: 185099Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    it's a tactics, not a abuse or exploit.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited September 2014
    While its not that bad of a suggestion, is the issue that bad as to be worth the work?

Aside from that (Which might be the case, but I doubt it), I can think of a few tiny situations that may be slightly annoying for a commander:

If done on a by-room basis, medding a Phase gate to stop marines dying instantly becomes irritable if said gate is placed at the end of a room.
    If done on proximity, which could be really really buggy, jetpackers could be even harder to med. Maybe.

My main point is I don't really see it as that much of an issue. If a com spends 1 res on finding out a hive location, might they deserve it?

Lastly:
    marines get all the healing they deserve
    NEVER! My marines want upgrades? They can win their own battles! :P

EDIT: Let it be known that if people think this is an issue that doesn't take much effort to fix I have no problems. Also, any commander change is good because it may eventually lead to a U.I I can use. Why can't we queue Macs and Arcs yet???
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2014
    Tbh I agree that medpacking definitely is an issue because it's clearly not an intended feature but rather an emergent one that, for whatever reason, hasn't been removed.

It feels hack-ish. Tt feels like an exploit because it is. You're exploiting the fact that medpacks collide with alien structures.

Additionally you're only going to be aware of this technique if someone's told you- otherwise you'd assume the only way to tell where an alien hive is with 100% certainty without marine LOS is to use scan- the ability specifically designed for such a thing.

However there's a much easier fix than the one you suggested, and that's to make it so medpacks dont collide with alien hives or harvesters. Simple. I'd support that change.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was thinking about that as well, but then you introduce a slight gameplay issue. You want to assist the jetpacker by throwing medpacks on top of the hive and it would fall through it on the ground, making it impossible for jetpacker to pick up.

Unless they make it a timed feature, don't collide medpacks with alien structures for first 1 or 2 minutes of the game. After that time marines would probably figure out where aliens are anyway. Should solve the issue reasonably easily and effectively.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    RejZoR wrote: »
    I was thinking about that as well, but then you introduce a slight gameplay issue. You want to assist the jetpacker by throwing medpacks on top of the hive and it would fall through it on the ground, making it impossible for jetpacker to pick up.

Unless they make it a timed feature, don't collide medpacks with alien structures for first 1 or 2 minutes of the game. After that time marines would probably figure out where aliens are anyway. Should solve the issue reasonably easily and effectively.

I think @mendasp made it so medpacks and ammo ignore the y-axis. Meaning, if a medpack is stuck on the ceiling and marine walks under it, he still picks it up and similarly if a jetpacker flies over a medpack, he picks it up.

Anyway, I'm completely apathetic to this as well. I don't think it's an issue at all.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is rare where you don't have a good idea where the hive start was anyways.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Well how does it make more sense to drop a medpack and have it go straight thru a structure (like a hive)? I personally don't have an issue w/ commanders scouting out hives by dropping meds. On a few maps, marines always start in the same location (kodiak, eclipse, biodome, veil). Is it an exploit that aliens will always know where marines start on those maps?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited September 2014
    Alternately, you could just make it a sort of Fog of war thing. You can't actually see the way things collide with other things if you can't actually see said things.
    EG You can't see the medpack/ammopack collide with anything you don't see, but it will collide.
    you'll see it fall through, alien commander (and aliens) will see it fall ontop of the hive. Making the exploit effectively a "thanks for the heals, com" situation, where marine team gains nothing, and alien team gains a giggle or two. :D

Edit: It would require some new logic though, i think.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    RejZoR wrote: »

I dont think I've ever seen anyone drop medpacks on top of a hive for jetpackers to pick up so I wouldnt say that this is really an issue, however I can see how in principle it could be so yeah, that'd work :D
    james888 wrote: »
    It is rare where you don't have a good idea where the hive start was anyways.
    Hmmm, because of the medpack drop ;)
    I posit that by the time most players have reached a level where misdirecting the rines as towhat hive they started at is something they could do, most know that marines can med a hive anyway and thusly dont bother.
    Secondly there are plenty of games where skulks are smart enough to keep quiet and not go bounding in right at the start, so I'd say it's more just 'uncommon' for you to not know where it is based on things other than the medpack exploit.
    2cough wrote: »
    Is it an exploit that aliens will always know where marines start on those maps?
    No, because that's an explicitly programmed feature, and one you'd notice after just a couple of games. See previous post detailing why i'd consider it an exploit.

I suppose all of this is moot anyway given that alien spawns are as good as fixed now anyway. Pfft