Does my mod need to be published before I can run it on my dedicated server?

DemoNnDemoNn Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-28 Member: 194432Members
I made a quick and dirty mod that I'd like to test out for a few hours this Saturday evening.

Addition info.: I had originally wanted it to be a server-side mod only, but I had to change some client-side messages to properly reflect the server-side changes (so my mod will need to be downloaded by the players as they connect).

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just run your mod through launch pad and then run the game through launch pad on a listen server
  • DemoNnDemoNn Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-28 Member: 194432Members
    Well, I don't really wanna take the performance hit. I'd rather have some fun as a player myself and connect to the other machine. Anyway, I think you answered my question. Thanks anyway for the suggestion, SamusDroid (speaking of which, I saw your bot many times today :) ). I guess I'll just publish it. No big deal. Tomorrow night's gonna be fun! :)

Thanks again for the prompt response. You have yourself a nice weekend!
    Hey, I just published the mod but it's not in the Workshop. Tried all kinds of ways of searching for it..... Does it just take time or.......?

Thanks.
    Okay, well, the mod still isn't in the Workshop, but the publish worked. I found the publish_id in the mod.settings file. So we're all good. Weird thing is, though, my modified gamestrings files in the "gamestrings" directory aren't working. They work when testing locally though. I downloaded my mod to my client PC by connecting to my server PC and the modified gamestrings files are all there... The NS2 VM just isn't using them..... any ideas?

Thanks!
    Damn. The server doesn't reload the mod upon map change...... It appears the -mods command line parameter is a one-time only deal....
    Sorry to spam this thread. My server no longer drops the mod when changing maps. I was able to "fully" publish and find my mod in the Steam Workshop by clicking on the "Your Workshop Files" link and then agreeing to the "Steam Subscriber Agreement." After that, I logged into my server's web server, searched for my mod, subscribed to it and then checked it's checkbox in the "Maps" tab.... whew! :)

I hope this helps anyone who's Googling the same problem!

Peace!
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited September 2014
    DemoNn wrote: »
    Damn. The server doesn't reload the mod upon map change...... It appears the -mods command line parameter is a one-time only deal....

Yes the -mods parameter in the command line is only used on the first map. On map change your server looks in MapCycle.json for mod IDs.

Here is an example of a MapCycle.json. Your mod's ID must be on the "mods" line for it to be active after a map change.
    {
    "maps": [
    "ns2_eclipse",
    "ns2_biodome",
    "ns2_descent",
    "ns2_mineshaft",
    "ns2_refinery",
    "ns2_docking",
    "ns2_veil",
    "ns2_summit",
    "ns2_tram",
    {
    "mods": [
    "7b986f5"
    ],
    "map": "ns2_jambi"
    },
    {
    "mods": [
    "88fecb5"
    ],
    "map": "ns2_kodiak"
    }

],
    "time": 30,
    "mode": "order",
    "mods": [ "706d242", "aa8da06", "c883d45", "d9fee4d", "812f004", "eaca355" ]
    }

It's a good idea to avoid adding mods with the web admin interface. It can do strange things to your config files.
    Got it. Understood. Thanks a bunch, SupaFred!