FPS drop, lag, hit rego, micro stutter, fps fluctuations, general poor performance.

lonewolf_jedilonewolf_jedi Join Date: 2013-06-22 Member: 185648Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
In recent builds this has gotten worse, It's always been bad but now its unplayable.

Cpu; fx8350 oced to 4.5ghz
Ram: 16 gig
Gpu: 2x ATI Radeon 7850 black duel gpu OC (in crossfire)

All drivers updated, all windows updates done. cache verified. disk always defragmented (0% framantation)

Fps drop is humongous. I can stroll around the 190-200fps range then go into a room with a few whips, a crag and hive, drops down to 40fps... I keep an eye what the cards are doing with MSI afterburner running on the other screen. They peak out at 70% load.

Fps fluctuates more than my ex girlfriends mood. Very unstable, and the game is unstable too.

When I move my mouse from left to right rather quickly, as one does in close quarter combat I end up seeing multiple targets. I walk to a static, non moving skulk, shake my mouse, bam 3 skulks appear. Magic.

I run, fly, skip and generally hop at the enemy as one does, but I often find that my bites don't register. I mean if I was any closer to him I would be using his insides as shelter. eg, I fly as lerk INTO the marine, bite, no draw damage. Skulk, same thing, no damage. Even as a marine, its somewhat the same. Shoot, see blood if I'm extra lucky, no draw damage. <Insert jackie chan rubbing hair>

I change my maxfps to 55,60,65 and each dose nothing, well if you count a horizontal line halfway up the screen that appears when you move the mouse from side to side leaving the top half several eons behind the lower half nothing then yes, it does nothing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/374ixlanlbyl6t9/techsupport.pdb?dl=0

Tried to record a demo via record <filename> but failed, every time I try to view it a red plug shows and the game crashes.

I am at the biddings of the UWE gods, ask and you shall receive.

Dan.

p.s. make a mod that puts it back to pre build 266 changes. thanks.

Comments

• lonewolf_jedilonewolf_jedi Join Date: 2013-06-22 Member: 185648Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
  • lonewolf_jedilonewolf_jedi Join Date: 2013-06-22 Member: 185648Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Alt tabbing while loading has always resulted in a crash, so don't expect much there. ;)

As for your plogs... they aren't remotely usable. It seems like there's something wrong with your system, as a p_logall should not crash you.... and there's no log.txt provided with your techsupport file..
    *scratches head* I've never seen that before.

Are you monitoring your temperatures??
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    weird. Ive got the same processor as you also OC'd to 4.5 but i have one Geforce gtx 680. Its a better card 1 v 1 but im not sure against 2 7850's. I get 200 fps at start and then it drops no lower than 80 fps in extreme late game combat and NS2 has never felt better!
    This leads me to think that its maybe something to do with the gfx cards in crossfire?
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    p.s i dont think anyone can alt-tab 100% safely anymore, certainly not while loading!
    Yeah, temps are fine. Both are standard cards and the OC is from factory. The cpu runs fine as well, I have great cooling in the case and on the cpu.

Dan.
    try the game with only 1 gfx card?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @IronHorse‌
    I can open some of his plogs fine? But not all plogs.. which indeed I agree is odd.

The lag 'spikes':
    Many: * Thread:: Sleep // CollisionScene:: WaitForResults
    Some: Openfile (seen this in more plogs from latest patch)

Can anyone with working crossfire and SLI supply me with some logfiles? (txt variant)
    I wonder how many GPU ns2 effectively uses and if it shows in the log.txt upon load.

I suspect it may not fully work with crossfire as it does seem to wait for collision results.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Can you try with multithreaded physics off?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    @Mendasp‌
    He already is per his tech support file:
    <physicsMultithreading>false</physicsMultithreading>

@DC_Darkling‌
    What? Both plogs look like this:
    wX0rFaD.jpg
    Barely 30 seconds worth of data, and it goes from bad to worse quickly.. as if his system is failing (And explains why it crashed with plog)

@lonewolf_jedi‌
    I recommend disabling both your OC as well as your crossfire setup temporarily.
    61% of your log is spent with ClientGame:Update , which means you are having difficulty just processing the game itself.
    After trying with the OC disabled (#1 culprit) as well as Xfire, please run some prime95 tests for a few hours.
    Hello,

Sorry for the long delay, uni getting busy.

I undid the oc on the cpu and left the crossfire on. Tried to plog again, I think it failed...

plog

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98769687/client-0904-073205.plog

techsupport.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98769687/tech_support1.zip

I will run the prime95 tomorrow as its my day off.

Dan.
    edited September 2014
    Here is a r_stats for a very quick game, notice the crappy fps. 140 fps in the ready room, 40ish fps while biting the command chair. That's a 100fps loss :(

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98769687/2014-09-04_00001.jpg

here is the log file of that short run.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98769687/log-4sept-1600h.txt

I see the render thread has 14 or so ms waiting on it. Is that normal for a fx 8350 8 core 4ghz cpu?

Should there be so many memory leaks? ram problems?

Dan.
    Did an hour long torture test on prime95 and there where no errors or problems.

I will do a longer one tomorrow as I will have more time.

Dan.

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    prime95 will likely not show an issue, from the looks, it seems like your graphics card goes crazy. Did you try to clean it? its sometimes simple things like that that can help. If it is overheating, the behaviour you see would make sense.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited September 2014
    @IronHorse‌ Curious and curiouser... Look: http://imgur.com/ZS2gySN
    It was a dreaded slow plog, may be why it fails to open for you at all like that?

The memory leaks are part of the logging process ending, do not worry about it.

I was already inclined to think about the graphics card, but I am now more so.

(in the meantime.. @Ghoulofgsg9, can we not make perfanalyser call upon 64b python, it gets dreaded slow on a big big big plog.. its already at its 2GB usage and im not sure if they tagged memory aware)

>edit.. will edit more when plog is done loading<

>edit the plog shall be to big and not load<

Go benchmark your vidcard with video benchmarks, and look for artifacts and stuff.
    Oh the cards run fine temp wise, the primary is 4 or so months old and the secondary is a year old. They are both stock. 3 or so months ago I get a new tower and made sure everything was relatively clean before putting it all together. The tower has better flow of air and keeps things cool.

I will take it into consideration and give everything a proper clean tomorrow.

Dan.
    I've been doing some poking around, testing and the like and I've noticed some odd behavior from my computer.

My second card seems to run at 99% load when furmark is open, not even running. Furmark shows that I have 2 gpu's but only one can be displayed, its showing that I don't have a second gpu??

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98769687/gpu_odd_behavior.jpg

Additionally I can no longer open AMD catalyst center.

My furmark 1080p preset benchmark is 3328 with a max temp of 82c. But again, saying it's crossfire but not providing any stats on the second card.

I'll give re-installing drivers ago.

Dan.
    Aye.. that may explain a lot of weird ickyness.
    Be sure to do a proper driver de-install.

Also consider to check if both cards are properly inserted in dust free PCIE slots. Just incase? And ya know, lose power cables.. stuff like that.
    Which reminds me... is you running in crossfire new? Aka, did you see if your power supply and the lane it uses can take it?
    While it does sound like there are some serious problems occurring.. you can adjust some things until you investigate further.
    IDK how i didn't notice these items before in your settings:

Disable Ambient Occlusion in your graphics settings. That will TANK your FPS and cause input delay.
    Disable Vsync.. you have the worst kind enabled, it will cause FPS loss when it cannot maintain 60 fps, and it will incur tons of mouse input delay.
    Turn multi threaded physics ON

edited September 2014
    Ok, I have removed and cleaned both gpu's with compressed air. There was hardly any dust as its only a few months old. After much research I have found two problems. One relates to how windows 7 interacts with the amd bulldozer architecture, the other is the CCC 14.4 drivers. I found a hot fix for the cpu problem but hesitant to use it, but I believe that Microsoft put the fix into the updates ( from what I have read and understood). You can correct me if I'm wrong. The second is that driver version 14.4 has been wreaking havoc for alot of users. The biggest complaint is that CCC wont open, which is the exact same issue I'm having. I'm in the process of uninstalling the drivers and CCC to down grade to 13.*. Some users have reported that this doesn't resolve the issue, but its worth a try.

I ran furmark with the xfire bridge removed and the results where half of what I had achieved before. It would appear that the xfire was working fine however something was definitely off before all the programs showed 0, or inconsistent status of the second gpu.

I will post my findings on this once It's all back together.

Dan.

@ironhorse I only just put v-sync on because I was experimenting on changes to alleviate the problem. But i will make those other changes.

@DC_Darkling I have an aftermarket psu. It's a crosshair RM850w. I believe that is enough to support both cards.

Rolled back drivers and as reported by others it fixes nothing. Now I have 2 screens that need the overscan fixed but cant. grr..

Attempting to re-install the 14.4 drivers. See how that goes.

Dan.
    re-installing 14.4 resulted in several bsod, which is a common failure. I then un-installed and started again with the 14.7 beta drivers and everything seems to be back in order.

Dan.

I also tried to plog each card and then xfire and then xfire swapping the cards around, all 4 combinations resulted in a crash 30 seconds in.

... This may not be helpful, but, there is definitely something wrong with your setup if p_logall keeps reliably crashing you like that.
    I have never heard of a user having this issue in the 4 years i've lurked around these forums.
    I would definitely continue diagnosing the issue.

To me, just looking at what the plogs are able to accomplish before crashing... it does look like throttling.. like your CPU just downclocks itself.
    Are you sure you've ran the most intense prime95 tests for an hour or so while monitoring the clockrate in realtime using CPU-Z to ensure its not downclocking??
    I am thinking this is hardware related, not driver.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Try the latest AMD 14.7 RC Drivers (BETA) - that helped me a lot with some issues.
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited September 2014
    @ lonewolf_jedi "well if you count a horizontal line halfway up the screen"

@ horizontal line, I had crossfire once, sent it back after 2 weeks, didnt seem to work very well to me...not what u want to hear...try with 1 card...next time dont buy crossfire.

They should just scrap Crossfire+Sli+go with multiple gpu cores.

Have you tried flashing your motherboard bios to a more recent 1?
    I think I have the worst possible set up, 2 duel gpu cards in xfire. lol. Anyways the 14.7 beta drivers seem to run the game much smoother.

@N@uralBornNoobist I will update the bios today.

Dan.
    Checked the bios version and I have the latest stable release.

Dan.
    But if xfire were the culprit, then temporarily disabling it like you've done already should remove any issue?