New Fade Ability: Cannon Ball

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited August 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
Cannon Ball is a high level Fade ability that would become available around Biomass 7-9 and replace Advanced Metabolize (which is in CompMod & patch 268).
Essentially, while LMB is held, the Fade curls up into a ball and takes reduced damage. Cannon Ball can be activated mid-air and the Fade maintains velocity while curled up. This ability could be used right after a blink to give the Fade a greater chance of surviving on their way into or out of combat.

Oh and of course the Fade's energy would slowly drain while Cannon Ball is active.
cammy-chunli-cannonball.jpg

[EDIT] It came up while I was explaining the idea in chat so I may as well add it here:
The vague initial idea was to give the Fade some form of active block (akin to bone shield), not passive damage reduction (akin to umbra). The motivation being that the fade playstyle reminds me of fighting games, so an ability from that genre might be appropriate.

Comments

• ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    All I can think about is
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It actually sounds useful. Ball up into an engagement, ball up on the way out. Would make closing the distance a bit easier which if an ability fades can actually use.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Zefram wrote: »
    All I can think about is

I wanted to say this

Although i thought of yoshi first :D

The problem with the ability, though, is that requires new animations, which are , afaik, not easy, to get into the game. Not to mention the logistics of such an animation.
    Or how the camera would work.
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    Idk, I think it would look really silly for any alien or marine in the game to spin around in a ball
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RadimaX wrote: »
    only me or is tihs toooo OP? lol

0VTbtCq.png

Bonus points for knocking marines down like bowling pins.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd actually pictured it as looking something like this:

anchorman_cannonball.jpg

But twirling works to :D
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited August 2014
    Metroid prime ftw!

Your idea reminds me of screwattack, except lets hope fade-balling doesn't have the near lack of steering too or is at least a bit faster.

Screw_attack.png
    Fade-balling should be an upgrade to blink maybe?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    My general approach to introducing new abilities to NS2 is

- Is there a problem currently?
    - Is this the simplest fix for said problem?

As much as I love the sound of a rolling, bouncing ball of blades teleporting around the round, I dont see where it'd fit in to the game currently.

The animations wouldnt be toooo hard to make, surely - just make the fade frontflip endlessly and turn the hitbox into a sphere. If someone made the ability i'd definitely try it out as it does sound fun :P

If you're going to do anything with an ability that looks like this, make the blades stick out while he's curled up, make it something you just use, and it activates for a couple of seconds, during which time you cant change momentum (or see wtf you're doing) but there is an AOE field around you that makes nearby marines take random half-damage swipes.

But even if you do this, it's basically xenocide that doesnt kill your lifeform and would be pretty OP with 2 fades cannonballing into a group of marines.

Actually fuck it, someone make this already 8-}
    It doesn't even need the additional damage. If the fade made a crouch animation in the air with maybe a special blink effect is all we would need. I really like the idea of just receiving little or no blink damage going in and out of combat if balled up. Anyone remember that rantology picture where if a marine is looking at you, don't engage. This would make it so you could engage.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    or just bring back acid rockets :D
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Acid rockets make gorge less of "the catapult you need to defend" And turn fades into "the catapult you don't really need to defend"
    They'll just bring the 5 man fade teams back. ;(
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    For the sake of simplicity, I'd rather bring back Shadow Step with an attack damage bonus (if Swipe is used during the dash) as a 3-Hive ability. Used by a skillful Fase in quick succession its effect could look like Omnislash(Dota)/Killing Spree (WoW).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Acid rockets make gorge less of "the catapult you need to defend" And turn fades into "the catapult you don't really need to defend"
    They'll just bring the 5 man fade teams back. ;(

Because he's the Fade the Hive Mind deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they'll shotgun him, because he can take it.

Also this game already has way too many balls dammit!

and "in after Sonic spindash :P"
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Stop it @Kouji_San!!!
    It's the stick all over again T.T

Maybe if the cannon ball ability made you go through enemy marines whilst hurting them as you pass by/through? That would be more practical - and more fitting to what the fade is and does. He pisses off marines by blinking around and killing them.

@Mouse nice to see you being so creative lately too. :)
  • TomTomTomTom Canada Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184622Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    While this would be ridiculously awesome, the changes it would bring to gameplay and balance could be disastrous. Balance in NS2 is very hard to achieve and a brand new ability as versatile as this could completely tip things. That and you would need the original animator in order to make everything look like it fits, which isn't going to happen with UWE working on Subnautica now.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There's a saying in NS2 - If something's hard to balance, make it bio9
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    james888 wrote: »
    RadimaX wrote: »
    only me or is tihs toooo OP? lol

0VTbtCq.png

Bonus points for knocking marines down like bowling pins.

Triple for shredding them to bits then knocking them down :P

I fail to understand what dis bio9 is.

Help?
    coolitic wrote: »

I fail to understand what dis bio9 is.

Help?
    Do you play ns2? Biomass 9, as opposed to biomass 1-8 out of 9 biomass.
    *facepalm*

Sorry, just havent heard that phrase.