Any plans to fix windowed mode?

ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
The windowed mode has had really bad input lag for a long time now. Is it possible to fix?

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll settle for fixing the black screen from alt tabbing while loading the game in full screen.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    *moved to technical support*

No, unfortunately any form of windowed mode for any game will incur input delay due to the Windows Compositor being used, which employs Vsync. (Essentially you must render the OS now as well)
    This can mean you can experience up to 2 frames of additional delay (On top of the existing 3 for fullscreen DX9) , depending on your GPU, and that can mean 32 ms / 66% more input delay - similar to the delays experienced with Vsync Double Buffering.

This is another reason why the new Gsync monitors require fullscreen, as well.
    Oh and you will also take a 10-15 fps drop when running windowed as well for NS2 (benchmarked during Reinforcement release) and some 500gtx series and beyond users report micro stuttering with windowed for many games.

Run fullscreen. ;)

@Zek‌
    Ugh trust me, only myself and 2 others in all of our PT team have this issue (we even black screen from the main menu) and it is definitely in our sights.
    Most games aren't very friendly with alt tabbing during loading ... but hopefully making loading times insanely fast will make this a moot point?
    Updating NS2 to Direct3D9ex would also fix this...
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Zek wrote: »
    I'll settle for fixing the black screen from alt tabbing while loading the game in full screen.

Alt+Enter then Alt+Tab will avoid it until they fix it.