7.1 Surround sound (does it work properly?)

DemoNnDemoNn Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-28 Member: 194432Members
The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of investing in a Razer Tiamat and a 7.1 surround sound card (mainly for NS2, since it's the only game I play at the moment).

I currently have a Corsair Vengeance 1500 (7.1 VIRTUAL surround sound) and my own footsteps sound like they are coming from somewhere other than myself (I will hear them either coming from the left of me or from the right of me), so I just set my headset to regular stereo.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Comments

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    kinda? when you play alien your movement sounds come from behind you its really weird
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    DemoNn wrote: »
    I currently have a Corsair Vengeance 1500 (7.1 VIRTUAL surround sound) and my own footsteps sound like they are coming from somewhere other than myself (I will hear them either coming from the left of me or from the right of me), so I just set my headset to regular stereo.

There is your answer.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Surround sound works exelent to pinpoint enemies, estructure drops, footsteps, etc.
    But any sound that comes from yourself has the origin shifted from the position it should be. You get used to it, but it's not the ideal.
    Been using a g35 sin release and I can say that knowing were the loudy skulk is coming from gives you a great advantage.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Get the headset. I got one a few months back and it enhanced my gameplay immensely. Not only can I hear the fainter sounds better, but with surround sound it's a lot easier to figure out where they're coming from.

So yes, it does work reasonably well.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Aha! That's what it was. Indeed my own footsteps sound like it is coming from somewhere else. I couldn't quite put my finger on as to why I always felt followed.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    A 7.1 setup didnt give any advantage cause you hear your footsteps from that direction you move wich is very annoying.
    A stereo setup with some virtual surroundsound is the best choice at the moment.
    Aslong this bug isnt fixed there is no need for an 7.1 headset at the moment.

"Real" 7.1 didnt change this bug btw. so the result would be the same like with virtual 7.1
  • DemoNnDemoNn Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-28 Member: 194432Members
    Thanks SamusDroid. As soon as it's fixed I'll go ahead and buy that headset and sound card. It'll definitely be worth it! Until then though, I'll be stereo-ing it. I just find hearing my own footsteps coming from different directions way too distratcing... even if surround sound would give me a tactical advantage. I'm glad to hear NS2 supports it though, and it works!

What's causing the footsteps problem, though? Are the footstep sounds coming from where my player model is according to the server? If so, couldn't the footstep sounds just be played the same way my voice taunts are played?

Thanks Walsa, Calega and everyone who replied!

P.S. SamusDroid, I beat Metroid for the NES for the first time a few days ago. :) ... Metroid 2 will come after I beat Castlevania.. That is, if NS2 doesn't get in the way... which it will. :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea I think I drove Samus insane by poking him constantly about the surround sound issues.. hehe
    I recently swapped to those G35s and after playing every other game i owned, concluded positioning of 1st person sounds were most definitely off.
    It can be very disorienting and even confusing to determine if someone else is approaching
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    dePARA wrote: »
    A stereo setup with some virtual surroundsound is the best choice at the moment.

I don't think that virtual surround is the best choice for the current NS2 sound system. I have Razer Megalodon, after activating the 7.1 mode the sound indeed becomes surround, but also all game sounds becomes much muffled (like from a barrel). This effect only occurs due to the fact that the game produce only 2.0 sound, not 7.1, and I don't know why. How to force 7.1 sound output in NS2?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    METROID wrote: »

I don't think that virtual surround is the best choice for the current NS2 sound system. I have Razer Megalodon, after activating the 7.1 mode the sound indeed becomes surround, but also all game sounds becomes much muffled (like from a barrel). This effect only occurs due to the fact that the game produce only 2.0 sound, not 7.1, and I don't know why. How to force 7.1 sound output in NS2?

Razer Megalodon is virtual surround. And the game does output proper 5 channel audio, havent tested 7 channels.

Your "muffled audio" issue is caused by the way "Megalodon" implements virtual surround, or you havent setup Windows/Razer driver audio correctly.

There are surround audio problems including the already mentioned infamous bug where the sounds you emit yourself come from another point in space than yourself. Theres also some other bugs, but the game does support surround.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    shonan wrote: »

Razer Megalodon is virtual surround. And the game does output proper 5 channel audio, havent tested 7 channels.

Your "muffled audio" issue is caused by the way "Megalodon" implements virtual surround, or you havent setup Windows/Razer driver audio correctly.

There are surround audio problems including the already mentioned infamous bug where the sounds you emit yourself come from another point in space than yourself. Theres also some other bugs, but the game does support surround.

Hmmm, my audio setup seems to be correct, and also I know how the games sounds when they provide 5.1/7.1 audio or not. Ok, I plugged my old Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 true 5.1 headphones and the NS2 gamesound is exactly like in Megalodon 7.1 mode. Also, the games with perfect surround support often have an ingame audio options like headphones/2.0/5.1/7.1, like a CSS or CS:GO, and sometimes ingame audiotests like Dead Space.
    In NS2 I can't choose my audio setup manually...

Mb NS2 surround sound correctly works only with analog devices via soundcards...
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I have a very nice pair of headphones for mixing (audiotechnica M50s), which I've been using in NS2 for ages. I have had Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headphones - the original pair I had back in the day were easily as good as my 5.1 speaker setup for positional audio, though the sound quality wasn't that great (not that bad either). I have also got some Roccat Kave 5.1 headphones which have even worse sound quality, but I hadn't used for ages due to my old sound card having some dodgy connections.

I'm now trying to get the Kave set up and running on my z87's onboard Creative SB Recon3Di sound card (I don't use this machine for audiophile stuff!). Strangely, though, the 'front' speakers (left and right channels) only play when in headphone mode, and are completely absent in 5.1 surround mode. Trying updated drivers for this now. It's not necessarily a hardware error, as the first time after a driver install, I hear about 0.5 seconds of sound from the left speaker during the speaker test before it all goes quiet again (only in 5.1 mode, working as intended in headphone mode).

The skulk sounds in NS2 seem to play from all around you: you get a component of each footstep from front and rear in addition to the odd side-stepping displacement of steps when strafing.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    If you set 5.1 in the system speaker config, NS2 is using this.

Cause the bug descibed above it doesnt matter what device you are using:

- "real" 5.1 headphone
    - virtual 5.1 headphone
    - analog 5.1 to receiver or active speakers
    - digital to receiver

You will have the positioning bug.

Im using a stereo setup on an asus phoebus with an sennheiser pc 360.
    The asus card has 3 virtual surround modes (xear, dts ultra pc, Dolby Pceev4)
    xear doesnt work well cause it simualates 7.1=7.1 system speaker setup. (this is what most surround headsets with usb soundcard doing)
    DTS and Dolby are giving you a relative good surround feeling in stereo.
    After deactivating all the "enhancements" in DTS i prefer this, cause better surroundfield.
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I have had Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headphones - the original pair I had back in the day were easily as good as my 5.1 speaker setup for positional audio, though the sound quality wasn't that great (not that bad either).
    I think you were using analog Medusa NX 5.1 via PCI soundcard, my MEDUSA NX 5.1 is a USB headphones (and Megalodon too) with their built-in soundchips. So that is why you have a 5.1 output by NS2.

If you set 5.1 in the system speaker config, NS2 is using this.

Cause the bug descibed above it doesnt matter what device you are using:

- "real" 5.1 headphone
    - virtual 5.1 headphone
    - analog 5.1 to receiver or active speakers
    - digital to receiver

You will have the positioning bug.

Im using a stereo setup on an asus phoebus with an sennheiser pc 360.
    The asus card has 3 virtual surround modes (xear, dts ultra pc, Dolby Pceev4)
    xear doesnt work well cause it simualates 7.1=7.1 system speaker setup. (this is what most surround headsets with usb soundcard doing)
    DTS and Dolby are giving you a relative good surround feeling in stereo.
    After deactivating all the "enhancements" in DTS i prefer this, cause better surroundfield.
    Now I'm talking not about positioning bug, but about whole "bugged" surround sound system.
    I can setup my headphones like a 5.1 or 7.1 in my system, all games with good surround support sounds pretty cool, exept NS2. NS2 sounds like my Megalodon tryes to convert 2.0 sound to 5.1 with not good quality, this never happens with games that output true 5.1 sound.
    I need to force NS2 to output 5.1 somehow...

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sorry, I didn't make it terribly clear in my post, I didn't use the medusa's for NS2, they were WAAAAY older than that!! I have only used stereo in NS2 up until now (the audiotechnica M50s are a brilliant pair of cans).
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I need to force NS2 to output 5.1 somehow...

NS2 uses windows sound settings. You can check if you have correct output/audio device by opening console after starting the game.
    @shonan, all is correct.

Mb my "barrel effect" is due to the fact that not only the footsteps are "missplaced" but a rifle sound also? Ambient sound and gun's sounds feel not crisp and not loud.
  • AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
    I looked in audio settings in NS and boy did I crash hard (Full reset, no Ctrl Alt Del). I was switching through the microphone inputs, must of not liked my external soundcard.

However my question was that if there are 5.1 settings within NS2 to be used with 5.1 sound cards, could you not do a binaural setting for those that play with just headphones to get a truly immersive experience? Understandably you would need to include a binaural encoder but if you have done all the work for 5.1 how difficult would it be to feed them into the encoder?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    As of 6:21 AM yes, it does work properly.
    "The players camera position is interpreted so it moves from the old position to the new position, and the FMOD listener is set to the camera position.
    The origin of the sounds are set to the players moved-to position ... so the sounds originated from where you are going to be in 1-33ms time"
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    As of 6:21 AM yes, it does work properly.
    "The players camera position is interpreted so it moves from the old position to the new position, and the FMOD listener is set to the camera position.
    The origin of the sounds are set to the players moved-to position ... so the sounds originated from where you are going to be in 1-33ms time"

Sounds too complicated... You just tricked the system or fixed it? .D
    I presume there's an obvious reason why the player's own sounds can't just be played without positional audio instead of computing what position it should be played from? Or is that what also happens with eg 'your hive is under attack' notifications and so forth?
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    when I tested it it worked fine, I used 5.1 downmix to stereo headphones with whatever my soundcard driver. I just hate the muffle sound or how voice chat becomes funky with the surround on
    ezekel, yeah, the voice chat must use Center channel...
  • DemoNnDemoNn Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-28 Member: 194432Members
    Awesome, SamusDroid! Nice job!!! So, I guess we'll be able to enjoy it with the next patch right?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    A 7.1 setup didnt give any advantage cause you hear your footsteps from that direction you move wich is very annoying.
    Aslong this bug isnt fixed there is no need for an 7.1 headset at the moment.

"Real" 7.1 didnt change this bug btw. so the result would be the same like with virtual 7.1

I personally don't like virtual surround sound. It messes with the frequency response.
    Now we have a 268 build and it solves only a half of problems for me.
    1. When I play as marine or alien, footsteps, shooting, biting and other sounds come from the right place now. But, they need to be more loud&crisp because they are a first person sounds.

2. Tauts are still playing from different directions.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ensure you have surround enabled on your headset.
    My 7.1 headset will only play out the right ear if I disable surround using the physical switch, but if it's enabled it's fine
    edited August 2014
    @IronHorse, >.< I'm sure...
    You have a Logitech G35, right? And you totally pleased with 7.1 mode?
    I can see that ingame 7.1 surround is actually works, but it still requires some tuning (your own sounds plus gamer's speech).

Maybe taunts are still playing from different directions while you move, but taunts are the only player's sounds that play nicely loud&crisp in both 2.0 and 7.1 mode! Maybe CDT can use it as a hint somehow...
    @METROID‌
    Yeah im using G35s
    And like i said there are just a few outstanding issues, but at least gameplay itself is working correctly for the first time in 4 years. :)

You aren't getting the sounds in the right ear only still, are you??