New server and community

BulletSponge51BulletSponge51 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148294Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
If this is in the improper forum I apologize, I didn't see a forum I felt this would fit better in.

The server will be NA East, most likely Chicago

Hey ladies and gentlemen, as the title states I'm contemplating opening a new server and starting a new community. The purpose of this thread is to outline my intention, and see if there is any interest before I dedicate time and money to this. With our wonderful CDT putting in work to improve the game, and the many improvements coming down the pipe shortly, this may be prime time to get some newer blood into or back into the game. In short, I love this game and want to try and make a place that like minded people can enjoy something they also love.

So why a brand new community and server? I see on the server browser quite frequently that many servers are constantly full, and the rest sit with 1-2 people in them and never fill up. I've spent enough time pubbing to know a lot of your names and where you frequent, and it seems that many don't have a server they would necessarily refer to as a "home" server. I'd like to fill that gap and provide a quality environment for many of you to play the game in. Also with the active player base at its current numbers it would pretty much guarantee that everyone who joins initially will be an active participant since most of the remaining player base are the more dedicated fans. This will give many of you who have not previously joined a community a chance to get on board at the base level and be a founding member of a fresh community. This is also the pool that admins\mods will be selected from provided there are members with the ability to effectively fill those roles. As will be discussed here, the community and server are the priority long before pandering to an individual.

The overarching goal of this community would be to maintain a healthy server and fair/exciting games. This will partially be up to the community to enforce themselves. The community members would be tasked with paying attention, and when a game is clearly a one sided stomp, not to restack and try their hardest to keep it balanced. Obviously this will not be possible every time and stomps will still happen, but if there is a preexisting ideal to avoid such things, we may be able to cut down.

This server will also be heavily geared towards positivity and politeness. Yes this is the internet, and yes freedom of speech, but we can still try to avoid being dicks to each other, and once again if the community is already intent on policing itself we may be able to cut down on the negativity. A fair system will be implemented and those who are acting in a manner that is toxic to others, especially rookies will be warned, kicked, 24h ban, 30d ban, perma ban in that order.

On the topic of negativity and politeness the server will have a zero tolerance policy for racism, bigotry, and sexual harassment. If you are found to be doing any of these things the sequence of punitive action stated in the previous paragraph will be followed. I will try to keep myself reachable so that in the event there is no other staff member to handle an issue I will be able to do so myself. This will be done by keeping the core community on my steam list, and steam mobile on my phone so that there will never be a reasonable moment that an issue can fester.

Above all else this will be run democratically. The community will decide what mods should or should not exist on the server although I reserve the right to veto if it will reduce performance on the server. There are many decisions that remain to be made and I'd much prefer input from the people who will be populating the server.

The initial server will be a 20 slot (18 public, 2 reserved slots.) I'd like to keep it at or below 20 for performance unless future patches make it so that 24 slots performs just as well, then I have no issue bumping up unless the community decided that the current numbers are ideal.

Feel free to post any questions, concerns, suggestions or just that you're interested. This is all still just an idea right now but with the help of you fine folks I'd like to make it a reality.

Comments

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @BulletSponge51‌ Sounds like it will be a good and well maintained server. Unfortunately the wiki is incomplete and outdated in some parts. I had to learn a lot of things the hard way when I started my servers but there is no need for you to have to do the same thing. I can help you with most questions about how to do it and you can have a copy of my config files if you want. Add me on Steam if you are interested (SupaFred).
  • BulletSponge51BulletSponge51 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148294Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Joshhh I will definitely be adding NS2+ and 20 will be the hardcap unless performance improves drastically and the commuinity votes (75%) to bump it up. I feel that smaller games at 18-20 are much more fun and competitive.

@Supafred Thank you for offering your help and experience. I've run an NS2 server before briefly and other game servers in the past so I'm not completely in the dark but I doubt I know as much as you so you will mostly likely hear from me in the near future. Provided I drum up enough interest to move forward with this of course.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Like you say, going crazy with the player count isn't (only) about performance, it's about gameplay.
  • BulletSponge51BulletSponge51 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148294Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll also try to draft out an official rule set of how I intend to run the server so it can be viewed, debated upon, added to, and improved.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Sounds great - always in need of fun well-maintained servers and communities. :) I look forward to playing on your servers!
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Beside a good server setup i think there is one even more important point and that having clear community and server rules.

Feel free to reuse the rules i made over a year ago for my own server:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XzYQ3xF6RbukNdLKe-SsFTQ4dXLlCBw61plnIEl7Ogg/edit

Basically at my server everything is democratically.

All players have the same rights until they break one of the rules.

That means moderators and admins are only just another regulars which just move into action in case of that some user breaks those rules or the server has some technical issues.
    @ghoulofgsg9 Thanks! I reviewed it and like what I see. I'll definitely incorporate some of that into my draft.
    Also, if any of you have specific recommendations for server hosts I'd be pleased to hear them. Thus far after my initial research I'm considering bluefangsolutions.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I would say Tempest aka ServerDad but I don't think he provides a single instance renting service anymore. Looks like its just dedi boxes now. Bluefang are alright but seem to perform poorly at large playercounts... 18 or 20 players might be fine.
    Yeah, If ServerDad had single instance I'd consider them but 165\mo for a box is way to much. Also Bluefang is apparently sold out of chicago servers for NS2 so they are out.
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I appreciate you spending your time and money to start a new server. It sounds like your focus is exactly what the community could use more of. I'd be happy to drop in when I can and be a part of your new community. When I used to run an NS2 server back at launch for a few months (RIP Lerk More), I used Team Inversion who then renamed to NS2servers.com and I believe now run under ServerDad.com. Launch NS2 had a parade of server problems but Chris was always available by multiple channels to deal with my needs and help me customize things as needed. Assuming the same great staff work there and the pricing fits your needs I couldn't recommend them more.

I'd recommend having a steam group with admins who can set up group play times or announcements (at reasonable intervals) to help drive traffic to the server or set up matches. This also makes it easier for your server members to play with eachother generally. Good luck!
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    Nice. I currently call KKG servers "home" or where I enjoy the game the most. However, I will be checking your server as josh puts it, NS2+ and 20 players. I would actually like to see captains instead of standard but thats a personal preference. The game becomes so much more enjoyable when you play with people who communicate and with <= 20.

Looking forward to it.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Yeah, If ServerDad had single instance I'd consider them but 165\mo for a box is way to much. Also Bluefang is apparently sold out of chicago servers for NS2 so they are out.

If you get people to donate for some perk (another badge?!?!), then it'd be a lot easier to pay for it. I remember the 120/month to use his servers... the ''good olde days".
    edited July 2014
    @rapgod I may bump up to something like ServerDad if the community takes off, the server keeps a steady population and there are enough people willing to donate to at least cover part of the cost, but for the interim I'm going to keep it at a single instance to minimize my own financial risk. I do have intentions to allow donations, and maybe even use a website such as subbable so that instead of having to make a flat rate donation, people can be more selective. Rewards would be tiered. For example, if you sub for $1/mo you get a supporter badge. For $3/mo you get a supporter badge and a reserved slot. For $5/mo you get all the above and custom skins or whatever I can come up with.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    They used to be about 50$ each game instance. No idea where your getting the 120 from...

Also, @Bulletsponge51, check out NFO Servers. I have used them for tf2 and l4d in the past. Not sure how they preform on NS though.
    @Joshhh Thanks, I checked them out and they look good. I'm going to go ahead and email their support team and get some details and see if they have a test server to let me check out before I make choices. There is still time though, I intend to purchase and start up the server somewhere between the 1st and 3rd of next month. I still haven't even thought of a community name!
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited July 2014
    Keep in mind I was using this provider back when they were just starting up but for a single NS2 server I paid much, much less. Perhaps they only offer it by the entire box now? Not sure. As for a reward system, it seems obvious but please ensure that admining, etc. is never tied to a donation. I've run into too many insufferable admins on game servers who were never dealt with because they doled out the cash. Tactical Gamer runs a system where people who participate in the community receive sort of a lower tier of reserved slots that would replace a player who didn't have anything, but did not protect your slot against paying reserved slot members. I think that is a fair balance that allows incentive for the average player to participate but also gives a reason to donate besides just good will. If you provide a very easy way to receive donations (a simple paypal donate button should do it) and a quality atmosphere, a community will follow and make the choice whether or not to keep itself going. Frankly, I've always been annoyed by custom server badges but that's just because I have zero idea what any of them mean and whether or not it indicates an admin, etc.
    @Ness I'm 100% with you on that. Admins would be hand selected by me and relieved of duties if they prove unable to perform them. Any admins and maybe mods will receive all perks donations would receive free of charge as a thank you for the work they do.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds awesome. Good Luck with it. I play on US servers alot now because the 2 servers in AUS are either empty completely or full :-(
    Please don't put a high ping kicker in (or at least give those on 400 ping a chance).
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited July 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    They used to be about 50$ each game instance. No idea where your getting the 120 from...

Also, @Bulletsponge51, check out NFO Servers. I have used them for tf2 and l4d in the past. Not sure how they preform on NS though.

Hm maybe that's just what I paid for.. ironhorse n I split the cost for a while... but that'd be 240 a month... something is wrong. What am I.
    Hey gents, the server is up and running. It needs to be tested at full load to see how my network settings hold up with my hardware, but I think everything should be smooth at this point. The name of the server for now is "51st Orbital Strike Group" so dive on in and stress test the shit out of my server. If you have any questions, notice anything on the server running poorly, or just want to shoot the shit with me find me on steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bulletsponge51/

This server is still subject to tweaking so please be aware this is not the final product. I look forward to seeing you guys game side.