What's up with framerate!?

RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
I used to play with DX10 mode (like ~10 versions back), everything maxed out on Core i7 920 4GHz, 6GB RAM and HD7950 and i was getting like 200fps all the time. Even on Wuza's server with tons of people. Now i have same CPU, 18GB RAM and same graphic card and the game becomes pretty much unplayable and i have shadows, atmospherics, SSAO completely disabled on 16 player servers. What the hell!? How can a game become such a turd by not changing anything graphic related!? I'd understand some crazy new effects or something, but it's all the same, it just runs like crap now. It's so bad i can't even aim at things right anymore because it feels like i'm running this game on a Rage 128 and not HD7950...

Comments

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    hmm weird, I'm on a laptop and it's fine(input latency wise). Perhaps something's mucked up on your config, I remember that happening to me some months back.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited July 2014
    Nvm. I think someone mentioned this in one of the CDT posts started by matso.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135175/267-physics-multithreading/p2

It's only mentioned, though.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2014
    The fps are the same since ages, so nothing changed here.
    You describe an issue with your client and not the game.
    Try to reinstall the graphics driver or the game.

And btw. its impossible to have 200 fps on the wooza 42 slot all the time cause the higher entity ammount there are CPU bound not GPU.
    In endgame the fps dropping under 50 on an 4,6ghz CPU there and that is "normal".
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    start by checking the standard stuff id say.

* do you lag on your listenserver. (run net_stats 1)
    * What does r_stats 1 say?
    * make a p_logall (or do profiler)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I HAD the same CPU and a similar GPU. I did not get 200 FPS.

Now I have a i7 4790K overclocked to 4.6Ghz with 2x 280X in Crossfire X.

I still do not get 200 FPS (160 Maxed-out to be fair). Methinks someone is overstating their framerate.

In any case, it sounds like your CPU is overheating and therefore under-clocking to protect itself. NS2 is one of the most CPU intensive games outthere and your symptons lead me to suspect you need to dust out your CPU and other fans.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also framerate counter is bugged. It never goes below 50 fps even though i can feel it it's way below that. More like 25 or even less sometimes.

And don't start with the noob crap again, i'm noot some rookie, my system is perfectly well setup and clean. Bottom line is, performance got drastically worse on same setup as i had before. And that with much lower settings!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    lol 200fps on woozas.

haha.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    edited July 2014
    Lol thx for the disagree and not adding anything, @Zefram.

I don't know what you're disagreeing about? Someone mentioned dx10 not working well since the last few patches... I was showing him someone mentioned it; I didn't say how to fix it. Next time I won't attempt to help in the least. ^:)^
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I run on a 3.0GHz dual core, and haven't notice anything out of the ordinary. I would try like others say a driver re-install. Also, there is a way to wipe your config clean (I think its in the roaming data folder under your user name - some correct me).
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    As stated 200 fps is not possible for all the time. On a 4.8ghz 4820k with an overclocked 7970 I would still drop to 60 fps late game quite often, although I would sit around 160fps most of the time.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    also I will note that I had a superior cpu to the 920 (a 930) and never got close to 200 stable.
    I now have a 970 and still can only dream of 200..

The counter also isnt bugged in the way you describe.. it will show below 25fps just fine. You may describe the fps stutter fixed next patch but really that has existed always. (although gotten worse a few patches ago)

a 920 is a firstgen i7. Its not even remotely believable that anyone with a newer i7 generation on 4gh+ would have a worse fps then you, considering how insane strong cpu capped ns2 is.

Now you can act all high and mighty but its simple.. people in similar or better hardware DO NOT get that fps, stable, on 18 slot servers, let alone higher slot servers.. Especially late game.
    If by some superb hardware OC you did manage and not now, I am very inclined to let you test both stability and heat of your OC because somethings wrong.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RejZoR wrote: »
    And don't start with the noob crap again, i'm noot some rookie
    I am pretty sure you're the same Rejzor from techpowerup. I know you are not an ignorant person from your postings there. I have even poked around your blog once and it was written well enough. Knowing that you do know how to communicate effectively in English, which I believe is not your native language, your postings here seem to contradict what I know.

From this thread alone there are examples of not paying attention to what is happening in game and or communicating poorly. Your other threads show the same trend. This is where the "noob crap" comes from.

As mentioned, you can not possibly have 200 fps a whole round on any hardware not to mention your own. On wooza's server this would only be worse again showing you don't actually know what performance you are getting. There is no DX10 option so I am assuming you mean dx11.

To my understanding, DX11 and openGL support have always been in beta as of yet in ns2. I have been told that recently a patch broke DX11 and it is not recommended to be used. This might explain your current frame rate decrease. Switching back to DX9 should fix some issues for you if you are indeed using DX11.
    Also framerate counter is bugged. It never goes below 50 fps even though i can feel it it's way below that. More like 25 or even less sometimes.
    Again, this is an example of poor communication as earlier you said "getting like 200fps all the time" which you contradict here by saying you get 50 but may be bugged so you are getting less. Communication aside I believe I can explain this.

Many players have been saying for a long time that ns2 does not feel like it plays at the FPS shown by the counter. The fps counter is correct but there has been hitching that causes poor frame times.

Some recent events in NS2 that might help you understand the situation the game is in and your recent performance problems. UWE no longer works on ns2. I believe, correct me here people, but it is almost fully worked on by the community development team. They are doing an amazing job fixing many problems. Here is a trello board to see what they are working on. https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

There is some exciting stuff coming very soon courtesy of the CDT team.
    267: FPS QUALITY, PART 1: TEXTURE STREAMING
    267: FPS QUALITY, PART 2: FILES AND THE CRITICAL PATH
    267 : PHYSICS MULTITHREADING

The first two should reduce hitching for most everyone, including you, increasing perceived performance so ns2 feels like the fps in the counter. The third should increase late game performance up to 20% by what I have read. Those alone should fix what performance ails you may be having if switching to DX9 doesn't fix them alone. You should have better performance than you did before. This patch should be coming very very soon too as there is nothing left to do or be tested in trello.

Also, by chance do you have ns2 on an hdd? I have heard some players are having issues, like this guy here, with hdd micro stutter that will be fixed next patch.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    DX10 was my mistake, i meant DX11...

Saying "i was getting like 200fps" doesn't mean i'm getting EXACTLY 200fps, consistently and constantly. Being a non english user and i know that, i'm a bit shocked you all hang onto 200fps text like crazy. It just means i was getting that most of the time and at later time in game it dropped to like 120fps which is still plenty. And that was with ALL settings maxed out. Now i have half of stuff disabled and it's still horrible to play.

DX9 or DX11, i actually get few fps less in DX9 mode and i don't even bother with OGL because it has always been unplayable on any settings.

@Obraxis
    CPU is not overheating because i'm running Antec H2O 920 water cooler on it and i even crank up the RPM for it because i use headset and i don't hear it anyway. Temperature never goes beyond 70°C. I know for a fact that it starts to throttle at 99+ °C so that's not the issue. Graphic card as well, never goes beyond 70°C.

Still makes me wonder why is UnknownWorlds hesitating to use AMD Mantle so much if the game is so horrifically CPU bound and everyone knows that. That thing is designed to avoid CPU bottlenecks as much as possible. Just wondering... Would make more sense investing time into that than in DX11 that adds exactly nothing to the game.

I'll totally re-install the system today for the sake of knowing it isn't anything else, but i've done this before and nothing has changed.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    DX10 was my mistake, i meant DX11...

@Obraxis
    CPU is not overheating because i'm running Antec H2O 920 water cooler on it and i even crank up the RPM for it because i use headset and i don't hear it anyway. Temperature never goes beyond 70°C. I know for a fact that it starts to throttle at 99+ °C so that's not the issue. Graphic card as well, never goes beyond 70°C.

Still makes me wonder why is UnknownWorlds hesitating to use AMD Mantle so much if the game is so horrifically CPU bound and everyone knows that. That thing is designed to avoid CPU bottlenecks as much as possible. Just wondering... Would make more sense investing time into that than in DX11 that adds exactly nothing to the game.

I'll totally re-install the system today for the sake of knowing it isn't anything else, but i've done this before and nothing has changed.

UnknownWorlds are no longer activly developing NS2, and have not been for a whilw now. The NS2 CDT (Community Development Team) have taken over. Obviously, for us in the CDT to create a Mantle Renderer would be a huge and difficult process. Our programmers would need to stop making NS2 patches. Which we will not be doing.

What we DO plan on doing however, is work on Linux and OpenGL performance/compatibility so our Penguin friends have less issues sometime down the road.

As for your FPS, clearly you are having some kind of PC issue. NS2 has actually had a FPS increase since your stated start of FPS drop, and with the next patch we expect overall average FPS to increase slightly. In your case, try my full nuke guide in my signature, or a full format C:.

• ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    RapGod wrote: »

I don't know what you're disagreeing about? Someone mentioned dx10 not working well since the last few patches... I was showing him someone mentioned it; I didn't say how to fix it. Next time I won't attempt to help in the least. ^:)^

You link him a thread without a specific post about features not implemented yet into the live game and in no way could affect him yet? There's an off remark about how going from DX9 to 10 gave worse performance, but that isn't relevant in the context of the problem because he's been using DX10 and claims to have experienced much better frame rates with DX10 in the past. So the disagree.

Instead, you should ask the OP pertinent questions about his set up, like the obvious one, what resolution he's playing at and what else he may have changed or even calling into question his statements about the framerates he's experiencing on particular servers.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RejZoR, wait for 267 build, or try to move NS2 to SSD or RAM-disk, it will smooth up your gameplay a little.
    *raises hand*
    I actually did ask for a p_logall and/or a profiler shot. (lets make it a p_logall so I can try out the perf analyser which everyone has stated is gona be improved 'soon' . ;)
    If you type the command in console, it should make a .plog in your ns2 folder in your windows profile.

Also it only throttles at 90c? Odd, intels spec clearly state the max temp is 69c and it should start to do something if that temp is breached for a prolonged period.

What is your min, max and avarage fps? 120fps is much much MUCH more then most of us get in heavy combat so you should be able to aim just perfectly fine with it. (asuming you do not have 120hz screen, I have no idea how it feels with such a screen).

On a sidenote, JUST incase you did not check! first gen i7 are old, so are their motherboards. Unlike advertised not all tripple memory modules are supported by these older versions. Its part of the reason also why you have whole compatibility lists on CPU and memory for motherboards!

I recently replaced my 6GB by 12GB and I asked corsair what would be compatible with:
    * my old memory.
    * my cpu/mobo combo.

Their own old memory for i7 tripple channel was NOT compatible with their new memory. It may or may not work, but their answer was a definite no.
    Considering I wanted tripple channel still, they came up with 1 module set which was bigger then the amount I had. 'Lesser memory' of lower speeds was excluded from this overview.
    So basicly of their dominator/vengeance series only one recent module pack was compatible with my i7 firstgen / mobo! (it had something to do with the kind of chips used on the module)
    So did you check your memory? Is it fully compatible? Did you bench it for hours after swapping? Did you ask your manufacturer?
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    you need to dust out your CPU and other fan
    why didn't i think about this before... just vacuumed my laptop a bit and got a significant fps gain. i can... like... hit stuff now! without sheer luck! thank you so much :D
    @Laosh'Ra
    if you got money to blow, for your case fans entrances:
    http://www.demcifilter.com/

For dust filters, those are ridiculous effective.
    edited July 2014
    Zefram wrote: »
    RapGod wrote: »

You link him a thread without a specific post about features not implemented yet into the live game and in no way could affect him yet? There's an off remark about how going from DX9 to 10 gave worse performance, but that isn't relevant in the context of the problem because he's been using DX10 and claims to have experienced much better frame rates with DX10 in the past. So the disagree.

Instead, you should ask the OP pertinent questions about his set up, like the obvious one, what resolution he's playing at and what else he may have changed or even calling into question his statements about the framerates he's experiencing on particular servers.

That isn't something agreeable or disagreeable with me saying someone else mentioned it in a recent post, saying basically the same thing. That link leads to a page where someone switched to dx9 BC dx10 started to be shit. This guy is saying dx10 has been shit for a few builds. Wtf is the difference? Anyway, continue to disagree with my posts, enjoy yourself.

And I didn't realize there was a template to responding to such questions, my bad.
    Lol man you are awesome.
    *raises hand*
    I actually did ask for a p_logall and/or a profiler shot. (lets make it a p_logall so I can try out the perf analyser which everyone has stated is gona be improved 'soon' . ;)
    If you type the command in console, it should make a .plog in your ns2 folder in your windows profile.

Also it only throttles at 90c? Odd, intels spec clearly state the max temp is 69c and it should start to do something if that temp is breached for a prolonged period.

What is your min, max and avarage fps? 120fps is much much MUCH more then most of us get in heavy combat so you should be able to aim just perfectly fine with it. (asuming you do not have 120hz screen, I have no idea how it feels with such a screen).

On a sidenote, JUST incase you did not check! first gen i7 are old, so are their motherboards. Unlike advertised not all tripple memory modules are supported by these older versions. Its part of the reason also why you have whole compatibility lists on CPU and memory for motherboards!

I recently replaced my 6GB by 12GB and I asked corsair what would be compatible with:
    * my old memory.
    * my cpu/mobo combo.

Their own old memory for i7 tripple channel was NOT compatible with their new memory. It may or may not work, but their answer was a definite no.
    Considering I wanted tripple channel still, they came up with 1 module set which was bigger then the amount I had. 'Lesser memory' of lower speeds was excluded from this overview.
    So basicly of their dominator/vengeance series only one recent module pack was compatible with my i7 firstgen / mobo! (it had something to do with the kind of chips used on the module)
    So did you check your memory? Is it fully compatible? Did you bench it for hours after swapping? Did you ask your manufacturer?

Not at 90°C, at 99°C. Also, Tcase doesn't define the maximum allowed temperature, it defines the maximum temperature specified for the IHS (and also measured there). The temperature monitored by RealTemp is the on-die sensor and is naturally always a lot higher than the one on the IHS. It's the one i care about and this one never goes above 70°C, meaning the Tcase is A LOT lower than that.

Do you really test RAM for several hours every time you buy some? Stick it in, if it's detected right and if there are no errors, hangs or BSOD's, they are fine. Good luck finding QVL listed triple channel these days...
    fair nuff.

No I dont test it every time I buy some, only if I suspect problems.. Like if it may or may not be compatible.
    As for QVL... im not sure how some ram manufacturers test theirs, but they do still have lists of their latest ram compared to older gens, mobo's and CPUs which was my whole point.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @RejZoR‌
    We're going to need something more concrete to go on, like actual data.
    Are you familiar with how to provide a plog?
    Of course, like others have mentioned dx11 and open gl (Linux only now) are both still in beta like it says next to the option in game and are still subject to issues as they are worked on.

Feel free to take a plog comparison of dx9 and dx11 though if you want:
    After a fresh restart of your pc, load up summit and In the console type : cheats 1, j2, lerk, scenload xl, p_logall. Now fly around the map clockwise until returning to point of origin. Restart pc and repeat the steps on the other renderer, DX11 or dx9 etc
    Ideal would be ability to do a timedemo... any such option? Though i guess i'll just opt for GTX 880 or R9-390X in the autumn. Current gen cards don't really give me much boost over highly overclocked HD7950... The good old: "When in doubt, use more brute force" rule.
    edited July 2014
    time...demo?

I am confused why you dont make and provide a plog. It does record loads, for example in terms of frames.
    Assuming for the moment that your computer is fully capable to run ns2 to your own demands, it may show a problem in the plog. (could be anything)

As for any demo recording, noone viable in ns2 exist. Thats why they have plog. :P
    Normal recording not for troubleshooting is done by other means like obs for casting.
    I can do it, but i see very little sense in doing it on an empty map. Empty maps and starts of the games are always smooth as butter with framerates well beyond my monitor refresh (144Hz). So, doing it in such conditions is rather pointless as you won't see anything interesting.