I prototyped a game

ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
I had an idea for a game a few months ago. The core of it is building gadgets from discrete components and throwing them into the environment to solve puzzles and overcome enemies. I spent about fifty hours in unity to produce this prototype. The first two levels are tutorials of a sort, the third level is my pathfinding and general testing level with a hastily tacked-on objective.

I had another idea for a game a few days ago, but I don't want two prototype game projects on the boil at the same time. I figured I'd hack this into a releasable form and get some feedback.

Windows.
Linux.

Things I know:
  • The story, which isn't in the game yet,
  • It's hideous, entirely art-free,
  • It's probably buggy,
  • There aren't many gadget components, though the final level has all the parts,
  • Parts I could add: Sound transmit/receive, radio transmit/receive, light transmit/receive, signal splitters, different types of explosive,
  • The guards should get faster every time you kill them. I want violence to be a tough option to choose.

Things I don't know:
  • Is it fun?
  • Is it core generalisable enough to allow for a wide variety of levels?
  • More interesting parts?
  • Whether this prototype is worth developing further.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

--Scythe--

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do in the right-click menu. Could use a little more on-screen text instructions.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Drag squares from the left side of the screen to right. They clip together. Fairly non-obvious, I should've mentioned that in the post. I haven't spent much time on basic usability.

--Scythe--
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Give us the gamut of logic statements in the form of blocks, and a neutral logic-carrying wire block.
    Then maybe add two outputs to the sensor blocks, one for true and one for false.
    That way we can form little finite-state machine bombs/traps!

Then try to develop engineering problems, challenging the player to develop one or more FSMs that result in the completion of the level. Might make a good learning tool?