Add short ban to votekick

SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
edited July 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
Last night there was a player who was exploiting a map bug on Mineshaft. He was votekicked but kept rejoining immediately after. I would like a possibility for players to vote for a time limited ban to get rid of a player that ruins the game for everybody. I think 20-30 minutes would be enough. It's almost pointless votekicking someone who keeps coming back.

Comments

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    why not just til map change?
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    why not just til map change?
    Could work, but odds are that it's not just a map-exploit. I think 30 minutes is pretty standard.

Don't most vote-kick setups have a temporary ban (15 minutes) in state as well? Otherwise you just open console and type "retry".
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited July 2014
    Just adding a 15 or 30 minute ban to the votekick might be even better. Less options for the players and it's basically what you want to achieve with a votekick anyway. To get rid of someone for a little while.

Edit: I changed the subject from "voteban for a limited time".
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agree, votekick is kinda meaningless now (unless its a server that constantly has people in the queue).

Also @SupaFred, please inform the CDT of the exploit, if they don't know about it yet or have already fixed.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @_INTER_‌ Already have. They didn't want me to write about the exploit in the forums so I sent a pm.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Even if I can understand this, I disagree to change the current votekick, adding like 30 minutes ban when someone is votekicked. This is not rare to see friends & people who try to votekick someone to laugh, just for joking, someone they know, someone they never seen or something. For competitive scrims, there's often votekicks against some spectators, sometimes, it's just a joke.

There's another problem, if somebody decides to votekick somebody else, because he's afk, he's a troll, I don't know. If the players on the servers are stupid or don't really think about the votes, they can vote YES and then, even if that guy did not deserve his kick, he will be banned for a while.

Adding another vote or something is like everytime, can be used & some people can abuse of that.

I guess the only solution is to summon an admin. Or just trust the community on your server because you think they won't abuse of that vote (it can be disabled like all the other votes anyway). By the way, an admin can be banned then?

Last thing, when we want someone to be kicked, I speak for my own thought, it's not necessary because I don't want that guy joins the server again, it's just to know or to inform him: "don't do that again!".

But I admit that can be boring to see someone joining the server again & again despite his votekick...
    @Pelargir‌ I have seen the "friendly" vote kicks too but just change the vote text to "Kick and ban XX for 15 minutes?" to make people understand the consequences.

Admins will never be available 24/7 and I think a short ban is a good way to stop one person from killing the server.

If players could choose between votekick and votekick with short ban, what do you think they would choose? I'm pretty sure that when it has come to the point of voting about a player it's gonna be a vote for a ban. Therefore it's pointless to keep the votekick option.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    SupaFred wrote: »
    @Pelargir‌ I have seen the "friendly" vote kicks too but just change the vote text to "Kick and ban XX for 15 minutes?" to make people understand the consequences.

Admins will never be available 24/7 and I think a short ban is a good way to stop one person from killing the server.

If players could choose between votekick and votekick with short ban, what do you think they would choose? I'm pretty sure that when it has come to the point of voting about a player it's gonna be a vote for a ban. Therefore it's pointless to keep the votekick option.
    I could see the use for both options. Most people would probably just kick afks, so that when they come back they could rejoin without problems. The ban would be for trolls and such. If it's not too much trouble to add another option to the menu, I'd say go for both of them.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    10 minutes at the very least. 20-30 recommended.
    Calego wrote: »
    I could see the use for both options. Most people would probably just kick afks, so that when they come back they could rejoin without problems. The ban would be for trolls and such. If it's not too much trouble to add another option to the menu, I'd say go for both of them.

Aren't most servers set to auto kick afk players? If not then I agree with you.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Maybe if we had two options? Vote, Vote & Ban? The first would be for players who are afk or whatever, the second for trolls/exploiters/etc.

Or, if there was just a system implemented that if a player got votekicked once, it was whatever. If they were votekicked a second time within a certain timeframe (say 2 hours), it would be a 15 minute ban from that server. A third time, two hour ban, etc.
  • WakelaggerWakelagger Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170906Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Decoy wrote: »
    Maybe if we had two options? Vote, Vote & Ban? The first would be for players who are afk or whatever, the second for trolls/exploiters/etc.

Or, if there was just a system implemented that if a player got votekicked once, it was whatever. If they were votekicked a second time within a certain timeframe (say 2 hours), it would be a 15 minute ban from that server. A third time, two hour ban, etc.

The second option is much better than the first. In regards to the first, I can see someone being afk and needing to be kicked, but ends up being kicked and banned because whoever started the vote chose the wrong option and now everyone is saying don't vote, it will ban him. Then confusion follows and everyone is left not knowing what to do. The Commander starts medpacking aliens, skulks start chasing each other's tails, marines start welding eachother. Complete chaos.