3 minor but persistent issues/problems with the serverbrowser

PopcornPopcorn Join Date: 2014-07-21 Member: 197545Members
Hello there,

I made this account simply to ask you guys, if someone could help me out. I tried Google and searching the forums, but since I didn't really know how to specify my searchtags, the results didn't really help me. Furthermore it seems that I'm a minority with these problems so I couldn't find a solution anywhere else. If there are threads already regarding these issues + already existing solutions, please be so kind and point me into the right direction. Also I apologize in case I am wrong here, just thought this might be the right place to ask.

Issues:
1. When searching for a server in the serverbrowser via typing in the name on the top left, not a single server shows up even though, when the searchbox is cleared, the server is listed there. Meaning, searching for servers gives me zero results in the list, even though, they are there. (no other filters are applied)
2. When right clicking on a server in the browser, the player names and times don't show up. Furthermore, the ping isn't getting updated every second.
3. Sometimes when I'm looking for servers, the browser lists either no or just a handful of servers, even though my connection is fast enough and stable. (while I have just a few results, others in my area have tons)

That's basically it. When the Kodiak update came, everything worked for me. I had none of the listed issues here. I can't exactly pinpoint the date when those problems showed up, but it's been a while now. None of my friends in steam had these issues. I'm not using any mods except the ones, the server I'm playing on uses. I uninstalled and re-installed the game from scratch about 10 times now without changes. I verified the steam cache just as often, without results. I checked my mods and their files, deleted everything and tried it without mods. Nothing so far. That's been going on for quite a while now and I really want it to go away. As far as I remember, I didn't trigger anything, because I didn't make any significant changes to the game or its files. And in case I did something to make this happen I really don't know what it could have been. I am using the same router as before, just like I'm using the same PC when everything worked before. So none of the hardware changed. I think that's the point that puzzles me the most. I uninstalled my antivirus, I turned off my firewall, in fact I turned every protection there is off, but nothing helped.

I saw old posts with people stating that those problems already got solved via various updates back then. Another friend told me it could be my router, the problem though is, that I have only this one router. And in case it is the router's fault, why did it work before but not now? Could it have been Windows Updates interfering with the game? Did I forget anything? Maybe my specs?: GeForce GTX 780, 16 GB RAM, Win8.1, i7 4770. Also I know, that there are other ways to find and join servers via websites, but I really just want to fix what's wrong with my game. Any help is welcome, thanks.

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    The server browser is a little clunky, but if it doesn't show more than a handful of servers (your point nr 3) and your other issues indicate that indeed something is wrong with your installation.
    However first of all I'd try this: Steam > Settings > Ingame > Serverbrowser: max. Pings per minute > Set it to a very low value (or very high if you already have the lowest now).

Also right-clicking doesn't always show the people immediately. Sometimes you need to right-click successively a couple of times.

If this doesn't help, maybe Nuke helps: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/obby-s-full-nuke-ns2-guide-only-way-to-be-sure#latest
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The server browser search filter may be case sensitive, i cannot recall.
    The ping should be getting updated when right clicking, however, and the limited result of servers showing shouldn't be occurring either.

Try these things I suggested first : http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135125/server-browser-not-responding#latest
    Have you tried lowering your Max pings per minute in steam settings? Steam > settings > In-Game
    Sometimes it can be your ISP, too.
    What router are you using? Model number etc
  • PopcornPopcorn Join Date: 2014-07-21 Member: 197545Members
    Thank you for the quick reply. I'll try both of the posted links as soon as I can.
    Ok I didn't know about the ping settings in steam, thanks for that, going to try that one out as well.
    My router is the Speedport W 723 V type B but I never really had any problems with it before. I'll report back, once I know if it worked.
  • PopcornPopcorn Join Date: 2014-07-21 Member: 197545Members
    I nuked everything just as described in _INTER_s link. Didn't work.
    And I checked everything now from IronHorses post. Didn't work either.
    What did work though was changing the max ping setting in steam, so issue #3 seems to be solved, that's awesome!
    As for the remeining other 2 problems I have no clue. I can live without the functionality, but I guess my machine is just sort of weird.
    Somehow I'm still hoping that future updates will magically resolve those issues.
    Thank you for the help anyway. I appreciate it.