SUBNAUTICA DROPPED!

tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited April 2014
    That game is basically Minecraft underwater with a survival aspect. My understanding is Subnautica is a more exploration/ecosystem game. Plus, I have much higher expectations for Subnautica's graphics & sound.

P.S. It appears you can't really swim -- but follow the terrain in a kind of low gravity bunnyhop mode. However, you do have a submarine that you can use to fly around.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Still looks identical...
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    @sebastianoswell
    Still looks identical...
    One allows you to shoot fish, the other doesn't.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    elodea wrote: »
    @sebastianoswell
    Still looks identical...

You don't know that, it's still in pre pre pre pre alpha!
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    elodea wrote: »
    @sebastianoswell
    Still looks identical...

You don't know that, it's still in pre pre pre pre alpha!

@Comprox‌ I don't understand how that's relevant.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    This makes Subnautica look like a ripoff. The base idea is very the same.
    Subnautica must have different gameplay, will have way better graphics and the world may be more interesting to explore, because it looks more alien than Far Sky.
    But Far Sky was first. Subnautica does loose a big, very big selling point!
    UWE should keep an eye on this one. How does Far Sky gameplay work? How well do the gamers respond and accept Far Sky? How many players does Far Sky get?
    If Far Sky fails, UWE should scrap Subnautica. If Far Sky is successful, Subnautica might too, but will not have the initial player boost, because the idea is not new anymore.
    This means Subnautica must aim to be a game that binds players to it and build up awareness.
    This is completly different than NS was. NS is the first game with combined RTS+Firstperson genre, but it doesn't bind players. NS2 was successful because of
    veteran NS1 players and those that try it out the original idea.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @SteveRock‌

Your post needs more of the Knights of Swagatha
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @Comprox‌ I don't understand how that's relevant.

As Charlie says, the only time you will see a gun in Subnautica is in that image. You won't see one in game. Which means you can't shoot fish. No Guns also excludes a 'Harpoon Gun'.

Big pointy sticks maybe, but no guns, so no shooting fish....
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Also, as to your statement about NS being the first RTS+First person game, that is not true, there was a game called Battlezone that did that, that influenced the idea for NS.

I didn't know NS has some inspiration from Battlezone. Loved that game a lot and BZ2 was pretty good too.

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Far Sky certainly shares some similarities with SN, but there are also many many more differences, both small and big, and we will be sure to highlight those differences when we begin the real marketing phase.
    Thats great to hear. Well I watched the Far Sky teaser and I couldn't imagine how Subnautica could differentate apart from the astounding graphic / atmosphere it will certainly have and the alien surroundings. But thats my lack of fantasy :)
    Problem is that the underwater-exploration-casual theme is pretty new and somewhat needs to gain its playerbase first. Unlike Chivalry that was fed by the HL2 community and other medieval game, any shooter / zombie game that takes players from its successful predecessor. Best example are the FIFA games ;)
    If Far Sky is a flop it hurts the new genre and Subnautica needs to cancel that out too.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    If Far Sky is a flop it hurts the new genre and Subnautica needs to cancel that out too.

What new genre is that then? I mean, underwater exploration games have been around since the 90's, and there have been quite a few over the years. Some amazingly good, and some less so. Going underwater for a game is not a new genre..
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    I can't see too much similarity between this FarSky and Subnautica. Besides taking place underwater and futuring, uhm, exploration (every game involves some degree of exploration). Not to mention the graphics...
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Comprox BUT HOW CAN WE BE SURE!?
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    This game looks like Duke Nukem Forever. The idea may be similar, but realization of the project is way to harsh. Game even from the trailer looks like not polished. Crapy animations. Thay speeded up the premiere of the game. Probably because of Subnautica. UWE should promote Subnautica a litle more. So ppl know that if thay wait thay can buy a game waaaayyy more beautiful and polished. MORE SCREEENS, TRAILERS. SHOW THAM HOW GAME LIKE THIS SHOULD LOOK LIKE!

• ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    If Far Sky fails, UWE should scrap Subnautica. If Far Sky is successful, Subnautica might too, but will not have the initial player boost, because the idea is not new anymore.
    These statements are completely untrue. There are many reasons why two similarly themed games might perform differently. Overall execution is a huge factor as well as the visual look and style, even PR and marketing. For a recent example, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare was very similar to the game War of the Roses, which came out a little bit before it. But Chivalry, by all appearances did much much better then WotR. As far as games that are similar that also are all successful, just look at DayZ and Rust. And how many successful modern war FPS games are there?

Far Sky certainly shares some similarities with SN, but there are also many many more differences, both small and big, and we will be sure to highlight those differences when we begin the real marketing phase.

Also, as to your statement about NS being the first RTS+First person game, that is not true, there was a game called Battlezone that did that, that influenced the idea for NS.

Thought you meant the original 1980 Battlezone then, was like...I dont remember that being a RTS/FPS. Had no idea there was a "remake" that was a hybrid.

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    This game looks like Duke Nukem Forever. The idea may be similar, but realization of the project is way to harsh. Game even from the trailer looks like not polished. Crapy animations. Thay speeded up the premiere of the game. Probably because of Subnautica. UWE should promote Subnautica a litle more. So ppl know that if thay wait thay can buy a game waaaayyy more beautiful and polished. MORE SCREEENS, TRAILERS. SHOW THAM HOW GAME LIKE THIS SHOULD LOOK LIKE!

Im sure they will in time, but the game is pre-alpha lol. Gotta lay the bricks before you can render, let alone paint :]
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    A lot of yelling means either:

A. They actually will implement some violence

and/or

B. They will have some kind of scare
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe UWE could use us as skinners? many of us have some skils in photoshop. Thay could give us fish skin map and an easy way to see how it looks like on a model. So we can produce some nice skins for them? it would be cool to see my own fish in the game ;p
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Battlezone '98 is free to download and play, I do believe, a gift from Activision to the fanbase before they got eaten by a much bigger fish :)
  • MusicAllie44MusicAllie44 United States Join Date: 2014-05-08 Member: 195903Members
    edited May 2014
    I purchased Far Sky because the idea of an underwater game was appealing to me. I just found out about Subnautica today - and my ownership of Far Sky has only increased my excitement about this game.

Far Sky lacks atmosphere - you don't feel like you are really in the ocean. There is no weight to the water - and the soundtrack doesn't match the environments. The soundtrack clip I heard on this website sounds deep - and the addition of Whale calls in the track is exciting.

I don't understand the whole gun argument - Far Sky has drones that you can re-activate that follow you around that can kill things far faster than you can with your spear gun. Plus, why hunt for food when you can farm it faster? I don't play Far Sky for the guns - the combat is more of a nuisance really.

So yeah - the best thing Far Sky did was start me looking for better quality underwater games. Which is the reason why I found Subnautica. Think of Far Sky as a promotion of the underwater genre - that's certainly how it affected me.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @MusicAllie44‌

Atmosphere is something that UWE is great at, check out some videos/screens of Natural Selection2 to see what I mean.

I'm pretty sure they don't want guns in the game mainly due to the temptation of the game turning into a "tame the ocean by killing all the threats game".

From what I've read, it seems like you will be able to kill lifeforms, but killing large amounts of them will destabilize the ecosystem in that region, and you risk losing valuable materials when a new species comes in to replace the one that you destroyed.

Thats just what I've read, I don't really think that anything is set in stone at this point, but I like the direction so far :D
  • MusicAllie44MusicAllie44 United States Join Date: 2014-05-08 Member: 195903Members
    edited May 2014
    @Benson‌
    Thanks for the info. The discussion about guns earlier in the post was a little confusing.

Most of my time in FarSky was focused on building and exploring. In fact, combat is forced on the player as a survival mechanic.
    While I enjoyed the exploration - the graphics weren't impressive and there wasn't much variety or realism to the sea life.
    In regards to building, the system functioned like minecraft...with 4 blocks.

So I'm thankful to learn that Subnautica is pursuing a more realistic angle rather than a bizzare mash-up of Don't Starve and Minecraft underwater.

Many thanks to UWE for all their hard work on this game! I look forward to seeing the project develop further!

P.S. I also checked out Natural Selection like you suggested. Once I saw the "camera in mouth" view I recognized it instantly. I didn't get that game because of my genre preferences, but that image was so unique - that it had a memorable and lasting impression on me.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    It needs this in the soundtrack to be successful

from the program 'South Pacific', A really good program, id recommend a watch if you are into the natural world

(edit to clarify where it's from)
    edited May 2014
    @‌ellnic

While I like the human voice applied in music. I feel like it's an alien presence in the oceanic environment.
    The ocean's soundscape doesn't sound musical to the human ear. So the music in Subnautical borrows frequencies and textures. Low warm droning throughout. Melodic lines are muted and very long.

Listen to a natural example (skip around a bit...the track is an hour long).
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=savCAd6RyPI

Then listen to the sample soundtrack UWE has provided. "Ahead Slow"
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=CWyaXGmA25s&list=PL_MvZYBBisFb4MlxeC22Kj6VUmpdzUW_-
    Take note of the Whale call and Synthesized Human Choral note sounding after - almost as to emphasize the alien quality of the choral sound. Other tracks have less "creepy" versions of the modified oceanic soundscape (i.e. "finding life").

The addition of recognizable musical concepts and patterns enable humans "see" or comprehend the vibrant natural soundscape that has always existed in the ocean. Humans simply can't perceive sound in the same way ocean life does.

I really hope they sell the soundtrack with the game. I've been listening to the sample playlist on a loop all day. ;)
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited June 2014
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    RadimaX wrote: »
    ABZU

Saw this as they steamed it on twitch... I don't think the gameplay will be very similar to subnautica, though. It looks almost platformy in some parts. Too early to tell, I think.

I do find it interesting, though, that more games like this are being developed.
    Yeah ABZU looks similar, but I'm pretty sure its 2D.