Players name on minimap

DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
I have tested the mod which does print the player name on the minimap ( Cf http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246195029). I cannot state how unvaluable it is for commanders to quickly give orders from the minimap without having to hover over marines to check their names.

Can we please get this mod integrated into the official game or at least white list the LUA file ( MapBlipMixin.lua iirc ) so that the mod is not systematically blocked?

Comments

• Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    I would love to have this integrated. It might even help new commanders out. :)
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    when i first read about this somewhere, i was concerned the names could clutter the minimap. after testing it hands-on, i'd say this is not the case and that there is indeed a massive benefit, not only for the commanders. can't see any reason not to implement this.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    I forget his name, but people were talking about this mod in a server and this person mentioned it would be in the next official build.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Urgh, if this goes in the next build, it'll be revolutionary.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    If actual bug fixes make their way into the next build... it'll be revolutionary.
    :P

Anyway, this mod is great. Would love to have it in the live game... or if anything, integrated in Mendasp's NS2+.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Here's the mod thread for this, please give me feedback on it in there:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134615/player-names-on-minimap/

Glad you all like it. :)
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great mod, you can easily check who messed up the split on marine start ;)
  • firebos7firebos7 Canada Join Date: 2014-02-17 Member: 194096Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    craZyfx wrote: »
    Great mod, you can easily check who messed up the split on marine start ;)
    I was totally concentrating on the splits and not trying to get in position for the pre game skulk axe kill...
  • gerryisonfyagerryisonfya Join Date: 2007-11-04 Member: 62826Members
    I also found this to be extremely helpful, pls implement!
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'd like it if they did the halo style 'tags'

Where each player names a 3 letter/number variation tag and it's used for callouts

for example

your team

Bob - W43
    Frank - X77
    partlin - J31
    randomname - U82
    mendasp - XB3

then they'd take up much less space on the minimap and it'd be easier/shorter to callout
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    ezekel wrote: »

Where each player names a 3 letter/number variation tag and it's used for callouts

for example

your team

Bob - W43
    Frank - X77
    partlin - J31
    randomname - U82
    mendasp - XB3

then they'd take up much less space on the minimap and it'd be easier/shorter to callout

Only if we ban the letter "W". "WWW" has to be the only abbreviation that's actually longer to say than what it's abbreviating ("world wide web").
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members

for example

your team

Bob - W43
    Frank - X77
    partlin - J31
    randomname - U82
    mendasp - XB3

With the amount of players on your average NS2 pub server, it would probably cause situations where people wouldn't even realize they're the ones being called half the time.

Might be worth testing out as a mod though.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

for example

your team

Bob - W43
    Frank - X77
    partlin - J31
    randomname - U82
    mendasp - XB3

Maybe in competitive ns2 where the speed of using letters would help most. Why not just make your name Bob-X7. In a comp game you wouldn't need that second numeral.

Bob - a1
    Frank - b2
    partlin - f3
    randomname - v4
    mendasp - x5
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Implement language parsing to reduce every name to its first syllable.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Keep it simple imo.

Dont complicate things by having every person a number that changes every game.

A character limit might be needed to reduce minimap clutter (first 5-6 chars)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »

for example

your team

Bob - W43
    Frank - X77
    partlin - J31
    randomname - U82
    mendasp - XB3

Maybe in competitive ns2 where the speed of using letters would help most. Why not just make your name Bob-X7. In a comp game you wouldn't need that second numeral.

Bob - a1
    Frank - b2
    partlin - f3
    randomname - v4
    mendasp - x5

That tag name idea sounds horrendous. When someone says 'Roo - push overlook,' I hear 'ROO' and think 'this applies to me.' It's also 1 syllable. You've find most comp teams have no issue with 1 or 2 syllable names (for example Freevoi is usually abbreviated to 'Free' in our mumble chat, just as 'La Grande Poopy' is abbreviated to 'Prom').
    Having to learn not only your own code (and immediately associate that with an instruction to yourself) but also everyone else's would be a royal ball ache. Obviously you wouldn't have to do this, I just fail to see a scenario where it would be useful, I'm afraid.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Only if we ban the letter "W". "WWW" has to be the only abbreviation that's actually longer to say than what it's abbreviating ("world wide web").

That's only true for English, though.
    "double-u double-u double-u" compared to a simple "weh weh weh" in German, for instance. ;)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    CrushaK wrote: »

"double-u double-u double-u" compared to a simple "weh weh weh" in German, for instance. ;)

Unfortunately, the game is played mostly in English :)
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold

DREI SCHLEICHER IN SYSTEM WEGZEIGEN!

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014

Google translate ?!?
    edited April 2014

Google translate ?!?

Google Translate.

edit: Wait, according to his steam account he is German...

Google Translate, nonetheless :P
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Google Translate Emulator.